The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
gregbr
Senoir Member

Restoring a truck, What's the best A/C?

I'm starting to restore my 70 GMC C-10. It's has numbers matching Big Block 402, T400 auto, Shortbed, Sierra Grande, Super Custon interior, 67K miles..... So, Obviously I want to restore it properly. I would like to add a/c, but not sure how to do it right for show and a little cruising. For those restoring to mostly original, what system do you install? The aftermarket kits will clean the firewall, but is this OK for show? Should I install a factory system or leave it alone? Greg

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: Restoring a truck, What's the best A/C?

http://www.vintageair.com/download/pdf_singles/47.pdf

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
GMCPaul

http://www.gmcpauls.com/a_c_conversion.htm
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
gregbr
Senoir Member

GMC Paul, What does the firewall and underdash look like when using the factory style vents?

What is everybody out there using?? Greg

Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

I'm using Vintage Air on both my trucks. It looks stock on the inside although it doesn't under the dash or under the hood. They are a leader in the industry of aftermarket Air. If you just have to have it factory you may have to find a parts truck and start swapping some things out.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #6
gregbr
Senoir Member

I have most of the factory stuff off a couple trucks. Just not sure which system to use. Is the factory system worth the trouble to install? Greg

Old 06-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbr
I have most of the factory stuff off a couple trucks. Just not sure which system to use. Is the factory system worth the trouble to install? Greg
The people who have posted about this claim they spent as much fixing the original parts as they would have spent on a Vintage Air system. Of course there is always someone who claims they got their air going with factory parts for a little of nothing $. And maybe they did, but I know that all of my parts are new and work efficiently and consistently. You are looking at $1100 (and about 2 days labor) for a Vintage Air system for everything except the belt and pulleys. What kind of time and money do you think it would take to make a factory system functional. I guess if you just wanted your trucks to be 100% stock and original I would try to piece together something that's factory. I am not that concerned about having mine look stock so I went with the Vintage Air. Besides I have never heard anyone say " That's a nice truck.....too bad he put that aftermarket A/C on it". Yeah it's not stock but it's not like we are talking chopping a top or Z ing a frame. It's a tasteful mod that a current or future owner willl appreciate.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
stope4

If you truck is originally factory ac and you have most of the parts, I'd leave it factory ac. Vintage Air blows as cool as factory but there are issues with Vintage. My two biggest complaints are the fan noise in the cab (because fan is placed in cab in box under dash) and humidity when turning system on in the morning. If you have to have an empty space under the hood so you can show everybody your firewall then Vintage or some other manufacturer of aftermarket ac's is for you. When I put the Vintage in my first truck (originally factory ac), I never liked the way it looked under the hood. It always looked like something was missing and the plastic used to hide the hole and the way the two pipes came out the firewall looked wrong. Then it didn't cool any different so I felt like I should have kept it factory. From this experience I have decided I will never put an aftermarket ac in a vehicle that was originally factory ac again. Plus, if you intend to show as original, then factory is a must.

By the way, I just replaced my evaporator box, compressor, drier and a few switches for less than $400. I also converted it to 134a freon. It blows cold and is really quiet in the cab. I can hear my radio without having to turn it up too loud and I can have a conversation with the person sitting next to me without talking loudly. And, my windshield doesn't fog up when I turn it on in the morning.

Sorry Vintage folks, I'm just not a big fan of aftermarket ac's in a vehicle that came from the factory with ac and I'm definately not a fan of Vintage. Now, if the vehicle did not come with factory ac, by all means find an aftermarket ac for your truck.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
64fleetside

tough to beat good old GM, outside air to help w/fogging,,brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
glock35ipsc

Must be a problem in the southern states due to the usual humidity there, as compared to us here in the mountains. I know of several vehicles (including/other than our trucks) that run aftermarket A/C, most of which are Vintage, and fogging hasn't been an issue.

30%-40% is high humidity here

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 06-10-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
64fleetside

its true, humidity is rarely less than 70% here, foggy windows on many mornings,,brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
glock35ipsc

Back when I was still a firefighter, I spent 3 weeks near Austin, Texas on a wildland fire assignment. I about died!!!!! 100* temps, plus 80%-90% + humidity! OMG, the heat index was like 1,000,000* to me! Everything fogged up on us down there. We found it funny when they issued red flag fire warnings at the "low" humidity of 40%. We were like, that is a tropical day at home!

I know, it had nothing to do with the thread, but I thought I'd share what a wussy I am when it comes to humidity

Old 06-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #13
GMC Jim

I feel that a stock air conditioning system can be installed for less than 1/2 the cost of an aftermarket system. Have seen complete systems for sale on this board for $200 -$300. I would check your local auto/truck wrecking yards and get a system that is still sealed. That way the parts have not become contaminated with foreign material, water, etc. When securing parts; the condenser can be from most any GM vehicle of that vintage. (Condenser on my truck is from a '71 Pontiac Catalina station Wagon! as is the evaporator ). In any case you will need to purchase a new receiver/dryer and have the unit evacuated and charged...
Old 06-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
meathead95
computer illiterate

i wouldnt use old air

Last edited by meathead95; 06-11-2006 at 09:18 PM.
meathead95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #15
redneckdds

I have the Vintage air system and am not pleased with how it looks on the firewall, VERY cheezy!! theres gotta be a better, cleaner way then using that plastic sheet! sorry, just doesnt look very custom to me.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdds
I have the Vintage air system and am not pleased with how it looks on the firewall, VERY cheezy!! theres gotta be a better, cleaner way then using that plastic sheet! sorry, just doesnt look very custom to me.
Weld it up and smooth it out. You're right that plastic crap they supply with their system is junky looking.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #17
gregbr
Senoir Member

Thanks for the great info!! My truck does not have factory air, so I would have to modify my firewall either way. I'm leaning toward the factory system since I want to show the truck....everyone I ask that knows trucks tells me this is a pretty rare truck, so I want to restore it right.

Does either system effect the value of a rare truck? Greg

Old 06-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
redneckdds

greg, before you smooth your firewall find out from vintage exactly how it goes together... I smoothed out mine and had to end up cutting it and mounting this big plastic sheet where the ac tubing goes into the firewall. Doesnt look very custom now. One other thing, I went with the short water pump so it would put my compressor on the passenger side, instead of having all the ac plumbing running from the driverside to the passenger.

goodluck
Old 06-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #19
see ten
WTB this ad

Just a couple shots of my Vintage Air setup.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #20
glock35ipsc

Throw away the plastic, weld it shut, then use Vintage Air's billet bulkhead. It's only like 4"x4" or 5"x5" (can't remember, haven't looked in that tub in awhile!). Next to See Ten's setup (which is WAAAAY clean under there!), the bulkhead is the way to go. Extremely clean looking. Plus, it's billet!

Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
redneckdds

glock thanks for the headsup on the bulkhead... so do you have to cut the ac lines to fit the bulkhead or do you order the kit that way? the old man helping me put it in swears on his life it cant be done, maybe he just doesnt want to go the extra mile???? post any pics if you have them.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

Since you already have a desirable truck,(short,bb,super,etc.) i would say its a win win situation. Whichever way you go wont jepordize anything. But the factory ac would look better in my opion!
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #23
glock35ipsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdds
glock thanks for the headsup on the bulkhead... so do you have to cut the ac lines to fit the bulkhead or do you order the kit that way? the old man helping me put it in swears on his life it cant be done, maybe he just doesnt want to go the extra mile???? post any pics if you have them.
I don't have any pics yet, everything is still boxed up as I am barely done with the frame

Check out http://www.vintageair.com/catalog.asp and look at the Gen II Compac on page 17, then page 57 for the bulkheads.