The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
tracterman2

Question band adjustment on powerglide

Okay, i'm new to the powerglide type trannies and was wondering about the band adjustment...is this something I could do or something I need to take to a tranny shop to do...what does it intel?? I'm going to change the fluid and filter soon...the tranny has 44,000 miles on it...so I think it should be in okay shape. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: band adjustment on powerglide

It's easy.70 inch pounds and then back off 4 complete turns (with the unit in neutral).Make sure you hold the locknut with a wrench to keep it from tightening up during the adjustment.It's been many years but I think it was pretty easy job.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
tracterman2

how do you get to the bands?? do you have to drop the tranny or just the pan or what? never done anymore than changing fluid and filters...installing a shift kit in a TH350 and clutchs on ford and dodge 3/4 tons
Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

As I recall (very dimly),we wouldn't bother with the bands unless the RPMs rose just before the actual shift,or if the shift it's self was sloppy. And going by the manual,because I sure as heck can't remember,there is sometimes a need to "remove rear mount bolts from crossmember,and move transmission slightly toward passenger side of vehicle" to access this adjuster.
The adjuster is above the shift shaft,perhaps slightly behind.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote