The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Someday

Radiator??

I have a original 1971 C10 SWB that is need of a new radiator. It has the original 250 with TOTT. I want to be close to original as possible. I want to be able to use the same small metal fan shroud and original upper radiator brackets. I took it to a local radiator shop and they said they could throw one in there, but it wouldn't be 'original' looking and he couldn't guarantee the original brackets would work.

Anyone ever replace their original radiator? What is a good source? Thank you for any assistance.

Jeremy
Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
scampr

Re: Radiator??

I would look for a good OLD radiator shop and get that one recored. It was about the same price for me as buying a new plastic one and it worked great and looks perfect too. He even put the old harrison tag on it.
scampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
jabborabbo

My experience:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=19
Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampr View Post
I would look for a good OLD radiator shop and get that one recored. It was about the same price for me as buying a new plastic one and it worked great and looks perfect too. He even put the old harrison tag on it.
Ditto, I had mine turned into a 3 core while I was at it, and I added restrictors too. It cost about the same as buying a new two core, and of course I had no fitment issues at all. Its a better option, particularly if you are concerned about keeping it original.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Freddo

I had a different experience trying to get my radiator recored. The radiator shops wanted between $350 to $450 to recore my old radiator. I purchased a ‘factory replacement’ radiator from Rock Auto that had the plastic tanks. Because of the larger size of the plastic tank flanges I was unable to set it solidly into my lower mounts. I took the rubber housing out of the lower mounts and cut off a couple of short (4”) lengths of garden hose cut lengthwise in half to serve as a gasket inside the old holders. I used the same thing with the top radiator mounting brackets as well because I had to take the rubber mounts out of the metal housings from the top clamps because the plastic flange wouldn’t fit into the rubber mounts. The radiator ended up riding about 1/2 inch higher than the original radiator. I had to fabricate some small brackets to make sure that the shroud sat in the same place as original shroud. It was kind of a pain. It was not a very elegant solution, but the radiator is secure and working fine. The cost of the plastic radiator was about $200 so I saved between 150 and $250 by using the newer radiator. If I had it to do over again, I would probably spend the extra money and get my original radiator recored. I do think in most areas that it will cost extra money to do that, But at least it will fit properly. Good luck!
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
Sheepdip

Here's a supposed to be a bolt in aluminum.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Row-Alumin....c100005.m1851
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Someday

Thanks for the replies!! I am going to keep looking for a shop that will re-core it for me.

Thanks again!
Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Radiator??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
Thanks for the replies!! I am going to keep looking for a shop that will re-core it for me.

Thanks again!
Sorry have nothing to do with your problem but wanted to say I've been in your part of the world. I spent 4 weeks out in Cal back in 89. I was there when the big earth quake hit SF. We where shutting down Rancho Seco Nuclear Generating Station when it hit.
I really liked Lodi area we eat there a lot right in town was a nice steak house we liked. Man the food was great. People where great in the area as well.Hope you figure out your radiator problem.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
scampr

I went from a 2 core to a 3 core and if i remember it was about$250 extremely pleased with that.
scampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampr View Post
I went from a 2 core to a 3 core and if i remember it was about$250 extremely pleased with that.
Sounds about right, I paid $380 in Canadian dollars which is about the same money after conversion.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote