The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Rust-O-Matic

another '66 front shock relocation bracket question

What's up fellas? I am about to fashion some simple brackets to raise the upper shock mounting point on the front of my lowered '66 C20, and just had a thought I wanted to run by you guys. I drilled out the original rear brackets and made some out of tubing per Lakeroadster's thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451200

It looks to me like I could trim the original rear brackets and weld or bolt them to the frame above the original front mount stud locations. Has anybody else done this? Mounted to the side or top of the frame rail? Any pics? I realize I'm surely over thinking this, as this is a very simple task, but I am curious to see how others mounted theirs if this has been done before.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Rust-O-Matic

Re: Another '66 front shock relocation bracket question

I finally got around to trimming these old rear shock mounts up this weekend. These will be welded to my frame rails, moving the upper shock mount about 3" upward. Very similar to the aftermarket relocators available, except free.

In case anybody cares, here's some pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Chevymann66

Re: another '66 front shock relocation bracket question

Awesome job man. I was just trying to figure out how I was going to relocate my aswell. Thanks for posting
Chevymann66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Rust-O-Matic

Thanks! I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen them done like this in other posts. Maybe no one bothers with it because the aftermarket ones are readily available. No thanks, I'm a cheapskate.

You'll need an extra pair of shock bolt sleeves too, if you wanna use a standard 1/2" bolt on the top of each shock. The stock upper eyelet of the shock doesn't have one in it. The size you need are 1/2" i.d., 5/8" o.d., and approx 1 3/8" from end to end. I got some off of ebay. Not sure if local parts places carry them or not.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Good thinking making use of old parts. Post up some pics when you get them installed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #6
WOLFMANmike

this is what me and my friend did to mine

i went from this
Attached Images

WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:09 AM   #7
WOLFMANmike

to this
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
Rust-O-Matic

Will do, Cap'n.

Definitely looks better now, Wolfman. What was up with that first mount? Previous hack job or something?

Any tips on placement? I think the plan is to jack the truck up so the a-arms are fully extended. Then bolt the bottom of the shock to the arm, and with the new bracket loosely attached to the top of the shock, and with the shock fully extended, lean it up against the frame and tack it in place. Any reason you guys can think of this wouldn't work? I've already trimmed the rusty old inner fenders so the mounts can encroach on them a little. I'm using original length shocks, so my upper mounting point will be a few inches higher than the one shown in Wolmanmike's pics.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-O-Matic View Post
Will do, Cap'n.

Definitely looks better now, Wolfman. What was up with that first mount? Previous hack job or something?

Any tips on placement? I think the plan is to jack the truck up so the a-arms are fully extended. Then bolt the bottom of the shock to the arm, and with the new bracket loosely attached to the top of the shock, and with the shock fully extended, lean it up against the frame and tack it in place. Any reason you guys can think of this wouldn't work? I've already trimmed the rusty old inner fenders so the mounts can encroach on them a little. I'm using original length shocks, so my upper mounting point will be a few inches higher than the one shown in Wolmanmike's pics.
Your idea should work just fine ... what's up with the 1st mount ? Lol that's what happens when you static drop your truck and keep the stock length shocks . That is the original factory mount location on the frame ripped out of the frame ... that was the PO... NOT me lol the new mounts are for dropped trucks from CPP to avoid the previous problem that was my first dose of as my buddy mike calls it POS ... Previous. Owner. Syndrome.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
Rust-O-Matic

Wow! That must have been a hell of a jolt to rip that big ol' stud out of the frame rail. I don't feel so bad for over thinking this now though. My original thought after dropping the front 3" was "just slap the original length shocks on there and see what happens". After seeing your pics... I'm glad I decided to frankenstein some brackets for it instead.

I thought the term POS only applied to Ford vehicles? Maybe that was a different acronym...
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 AM   #11
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Wow! That must have been a hell of a jolt to rip that big ol' stud out of the frame rail. I don't feel so bad for over thinking this now though. My original thought after dropping the front 3" was "just slap the original length shocks on there and see what happens". After seeing your pics... I'm glad I decided to frankenstein some brackets for it instead.

I thought the term POS only applied to Ford vehicles? Maybe that was a different acronym...
agree on the fords thing too
Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Rust-O-Matic

Alright dudes, here's the finished product. Bubblegum welds and all. Those new shocks sure do make everything else look crusty.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Alright dudes, here's the finished product. Bubblegum welds and all. Those new shocks sure do make everything else look crusty.
Cool how's it ride now ? Nice homemade mod
Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
Rust-O-Matic

Well, it rode just fine across the yard. Ha! The headlights have decided they aren't going to work anymore, so I couldn't get it out for a real test drive this weekend. I think I'm going to have to sort our some more of the previous owner's wiring mess under the dash. He must have owned stock in a toggle switch company or something.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #15
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Well, it rode just fine across the yard. Ha! The headlights have decided they aren't going to work anymore, so I couldn't get it out for a real test drive this weekend. I think I'm going to have to sort our some more of the previous owner's wiring mess under the dash. He must have owned stock in a toggle switch company or something.
LOL I feel your pain brother I feel your pain