The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
>X<
registered IWATA user

Finally, the 454 is home (pics)

after school today i went and paid the rest for teh 454, loaded it in my truck and brought it home. i went to take off the truck by puttin the engine stand top section on it BUT i didnt have any bolts, i overlooked that, SO i went and got an engine crane from a machinist near here, BUT it was very low on fluid, SO i put my 4 wheeler ramp on teh truck ans slid it out slowly(it was on a mattress) then pulled it into the shop. snapped a pic of it on the ground without the valve covers on it.
heres the specs so far
454 bored 30 over, crank ground and degreed in, TRW forged 10 and a quarter to 1 pistons, new piston rods, oval port open chanber heads, 3 angle valvejob, decked, new valves, comp 292 hyd. cam, lifters, springs, etc, weiland square port intake( ettin swapped) new cast rockers(getting rollers) new timing chain, new tmg chain cover, new bearings, balancer, oil pan, tall valve covers with breathers(still in box from jegs) new fuel pump, pickup, block off plate, pushrods, ARB polished stainless blot kit, i need the accessory brackets and pulleys, but i;'m getting them from my 402, i need oil filter bracket, distributor and carb, he put it all together this week, so i got to watch, says that it should be 500-515 hp., so i fugue with roller rockers, and a 750 or 800 carb, i can get closer to 550, I do have some questions though

does an engine crane take any particular fluid or can i hjsut use brake fluid?

do i just get some grade 8 bolts from auto zone for the motor to go on stand?

how often do i take the pan off and pour a little oil in if i'm not gonna run it in at least 8 months?

finally, how should i expect this 292 cam to be? yal told me my 268 would be lopy, so this should shake the ground, right?

sean
Attached Images

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:11 PM   #2
bigjimzlll

Hi.. the 292 wont be as aggressive in a big block as it would be in a small block...it ought to sound real nice..not john force nice..but healthy..hardware store grade 8 bolts are cheaper than auto zone...im not sure about the brake fluid...hydrolic fluid is pretty cheap though.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:13 AM   #3
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

That should be fun! If you have never had a healthy big block, welcome to a new world! There is no going back to a small block now

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 11:16 AM   #4
>X<
registered IWATA user

yeah, thats what i've been told, now i have to resist the urge to just drop it into my 71 daily driver and smoke all teh crap at my school

Old 08-31-2002, 01:01 PM   #5
flyin99
creator of kong

Hey Sean...............we have very similar engines..mine is a 454 .030 with 10.25 to 1 compression.....Merlin heads.......292 Hyd. cam.........Edlebrock intake and a 750 Holley.........you WILL like the way it sounds........sounds pretty ding dang healthy!!!!!! enjoy...
Attached Images

flyin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 04:21 PM   #6
>X<
registered IWATA user

thanks flyin99, i want it to snap my neck, hopefully i can get it on teh stand tomorrow, i have to go buy hydrolic fluid for the crane that i screwed up when unloading it, then i have to get the bolts, then i have to get a load leveler thing or teh crane so that i dont have to use a tow strap rigged like i did when i took teh 402 out, is there different weights like il of hyd.fluid? i dont want to mess up this guys crane