The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #26
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: Small Town living...

Wow... how this country has changed in the last 30-40years. Now Im the first to say be good neighbors... but... It used to be a free country. Now everyone is into everyone elses business. So in place of freedom we have lawyers and beurocrats. A full-time nuisance cop is just a sign of the times. If you want more government, you are going to pay for it with tyrany. It is important to vote and be involved... but it seems we are more interested in reality TV and whats going on with Britany Spears. Sigh... just my humble opinion...
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Wow... how this country has changed in the last 30-40years. Now Im the first to say be good neighbors... but... It used to be a free country. Now everyone is into everyone elses business. So in place of freedom we have lawyers and beurocrats. A full-time nuisance cop is just a sign of the times. If you want more government, you are going to pay for it with tyrany. It is important to vote and be involved... but it seems we are more interested in reality TV and whats going on with Britany Spears. Sigh... just my humble opinion...
Amen brother
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
chvtrkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewt2 View Post
It's not the neighbors... they all work on cars too and have just as many if not more half complete vehicles sitting around their properties...this doesnt bother anyone on our street.... the City mayor has brought in a guy who's entire job is to drive around and find houses of people to write "nusiance complaints" about. not just about vehicles but about EVERYTHING. grass to tall you get a write up... and im not talking like overly tall im talking about if it doesnt get cut every week.... now i could understand if i was in a 1st class neighborhood... but the neighborhood i in is working class folk. just trying to get by. we're all pretty tight nite and get along pretty good...none of us have real nice fancy houses and most all of us have a tractor or something sitting outside from time to time.... this nusiance officer is just a little over the top for many people ive spoke with...

Sounds to me like your Mayor has a chip on his shoulder. We have ordinances where I live that were drawn up by the construction companies who built the subdivisions, but I think it was more to get the zoning approval to build "x" amount of houses on a tract of land. No one in my neighborhood complains about this kind of stuff as we all probably have some kind of minor infraction of the rules somewhere on our property.

Congrats on being able to purchase a home at your young age,that's a noble accomplishment.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #29
BB72CHEVKT

Are they parked in the front yard on the grass?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #30
andrewt2

[QUOTE=piecesparts;2627462]andrewt2, I would say that 9 vehicles is making it a car lot, as your neighbors see it. Also, you stated it, YOU ARE 19---the locals see you as a young gun and don't really trust you. Add to that your friends come over and if any one of them has loud pipes or a beer can (in hand) that spells TROUBLE in a small town way of life.

QUOTE]

accually im kind of wierd..... i dont really drink and i never really have friends over other than the occasional other couple when my gf and i get together for a double date.... and they usually pull up in a conservative maxima or honda.... lol no wild partys no beer dringing routeyness.... just me trying to live my american dream:-p
andrewt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #31
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Build a pole barn or a fence to hide them and be done with it.

To play the devils advocate a little, I can understand why there are ordinances like this. The elected officials are trying to make sure that property values go up and not down by keeping the city looking clean. And unless you live in the country you just can't go and do "anything" you want with your property just because you own it. You wouldn't want your next door neighbor to have a pig farm in his back yard, and he might not want you to have a car lot in yours .

Where I live I wouldn't be able to get away with 7 cars in my backyard either. Now I have visited another board members house that lives in a more rural area than me and he has a few acres and could probably get away with dozens of cars in his yard if he wanted to.

Not trying to be a "stick in the mud". Just sharing my opinion. Good luck and keep your cool with these city officials.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #32
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would attend a council meeting.Request to be heard.Explain your position,including the fact that you keep the sports car covered as a means of preserving it.Let them know that all but one vehicle is licensed/insured and that the last one is being restored and will be licensed/insured when it is driveable.Ask what concerns you need to address to satisfy the town council in this matter.
I have a neighbor who detests dogs (I have 7).He complains to the S-I-L who lives with us all the time about their barking.(He will not speak to me even after living here nearly 3 years).The QOV has called the city and asked what we need to do to be compliant with the city's rules.They stated we already are.I figure he'll either complain to me or call the city.My response will be "I have smart dogs,they only bark at noise and a-holes so even if he's quiet they will bark."My dogs are inside dogs and only go out about 4-5 times a day,they seldom bark unless he is riding his mower(usually about 4 hours a day).
If people have to define exactly what is wrong they often can't.If they can't define exactly what is wrong then they really don't have a complaint.So try getting the city council to define the complaint.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 03-16-2008 at 02:27 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:47 AM   #33
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Yeah, 2-3 car covers on the cars and then 3-4 sitting in the driveway shouldn't be a problem. Would be a whole lot cheaper than a pole barn or a fence. Clean up the tree limbs. Put your car covers on and take a picture with you to show them what you've done. That should go a long way.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 AM   #34
70rs/ss

Request a hearing and ask what it is they want you to do before you do anything. if you do something and they don't like it, you may have to undo it. I think the tarp and the unregistered vehicle hits a sore spot caused by the other 7 cars sitting there. If they are OK with what you have done (moved the one into garage, etc) you may have satisfied them. Don't fly off the handle just yet, it is a PIA but write the formal letter of request for hearing and see what it is exactly you did "wrong" and what they see as a remedy. If the solution isn't cool with you get a copy of cty ordinance etc, but only after the correct proceedure has failed, cause right now you are mad (as we most all would be, but cooler heads prevail). If after all that it isn't resolved ask an attorney to help you write a letter requesting clarification of what you need to do on YOUR property with YOUR cars that ARE all legal and licenced and see what happens. All else fails, gather your neighbors together (petition) and go to the next city council meeting (get on the agenda!). There are rules to follow and we do live in the US of A so laws and rules are here for all of us, not just the PIA's with nothing better to do!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 03-16-2008 at 03:36 AM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #35
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

they would hate me haha. Anyone up for a fence building?

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #36
Slammed70

Man, I live in Cheney...which is 1/64 the size of Topeka. And if I one of my vehicles arent moved every 30 days or so, they are considered "abandoned" no matter if they're tagged or not. Might be your case...just move them around or something and see what happens.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #37
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

[quote=andrewt2;2627832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
andrewt2, I would say that 9 vehicles is making it a car lot, as your neighbors see it. Also, you stated it, YOU ARE 19---the locals see you as a young gun and don't really trust you. Add to that your friends come over and if any one of them has loud pipes or a beer can (in hand) that spells TROUBLE in a small town way of life.

QUOTE]

accually im kind of wierd..... i dont really drink and i never really have friends over other than the occasional other couple when my gf and i get together for a double date.... and they usually pull up in a conservative maxima or honda.... lol no wild partys no beer dringing routeyness.... just me trying to live my american dream:-p

DUDE you are 19 and that makes you a rogue in their eyes. Not to mention an OUTSIDER. If you had lived there all your life and you were Aunt Emma's sweet little boy, then you would be in like lightning; BUT you ain't and they don't trust you---you are going to have to save their cat from death and not look like you are going to have mind dumping sex with the three year old daughter, then and just MAYBE then they will let you have more than one car in your yard. You live in Topeka---That is not a small town compared to Lebo. When I flush my toilet---three people down the street have to go without water. You live in the Sate's Capitol---The Golden City, the city of stupid city commissoners--not to mention your County government, the city full of nasty picketing Westboro Church members. That place has more crime than a prison---and you wander why they don't trust you. The belief in corruption is their only way of expressing themselves

Last edited by piecesparts; 03-17-2008 at 06:46 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #38
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I feel for you Andrew, small towns can be tough sometimes. I've lived in one my whole life, one with 1000, one with 1800 one with 1200 people for 25 years and now here in Meriden with 700 for 7 years. All it takes is one of the old busy bodies to complain. I was on the city council in Valley Falls for 6 years, what a pain it was dealing with old people or the ones with money (or atleast thought they had money). They complained about everything, I quit answering my phone because of all the calls. Heck I couldn't even go to the bars without someone wanting to talk politics. Anyway back to your problem. Ask for a hearing within the 10 days then pick up the branches, then go to the city meeting and ask them nicely why they are picking on you when there other cars not tagged around your town. THEY CANNOT SINGLE YOU OUT LEGALLY!!!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #39
andrewt2

[quote=piecesparts;2629531]
Quote:

You live in Topeka---That is not a small town compared to Lebo.

I actually live in the small town of Carbondale 10 minutes straight south of Heartland Park raceway in topeka... i put topeka cus i figured non one had ever heard of Carbondale. lol...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #40
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

My ex father-in-law used to live by there. I'm surprised that you are catching attention- I remember the whole area had its share of lawn ornaments

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #41
andrewt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
My ex father-in-law used to live by there. I'm surprised that you are catching attention- I remember the whole area had its share of lawn ornaments
PRECISELY WHAT IM SAYING. THIS TOWN IS NOT A CLEAN TOWN BY ANY FLIPPIN MEANS.... EVERYONES GOT TRASH/JUNK SCRAP METAL SHOVED FROM ONE END OF THEY'RE YARD TO ANOTHER.....ITS KINDA A SLUM TOWN....and i get singled out?! thats what makes me say "WTF"
Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #42
bob1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post

bob1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #43
Shyguy

My son lives in a small town also. His hobby is repairing and restoring 67-72 Chevy/GMC pickups.

Before he started collecting them he got a business license to repair autos.

At one time he had 12 vehicles in his yard which is 3 city lots. Since I live on a small farm not to far from him I had him bring some of his non running parts vehicles out here to store until he needed them.

He did get a visit from the sheriff a few days ago because he had a brush pile that was pretty big, the sheriff said if he burned it in the next few days it would be ok.

I sure hope you get things worked out in your town. Like others said before I would clean up the limbs and grass and appeal the notice.

I am sure you can work out something with the city.

Danny
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #44
PipsC10

I'm not trying to be an ass, but if my neighbor had 9 cars in his front yard I would complain too. Everyone has to remember that some people care for their homes and yards like we do our rides, and it is a fact that Nuisance properties lower property values

Not everyone understands why someone would want 9 cars. It's a hobby, probably like your neighbors hobby of collecting worms. The only thing is, his hobby is absent from your view while yours is thrown out for everyone to see. Have you ever heard of someone complaining that a yard was "too clean".

I bought a new house in a new neighborhood 2 years ago, and there is an ordinance that says you cannot park your vehicles in the street for over 72 hours without being moved. One of my neighbors has the ugliest Ford Areostar van ever assembled that sits in the street at all times. It has become a target of vandalism and hit and run. All this has done is bring in a target for our "troubled" youth (better known as pieces of sh$$) to mess with, wether its vandalism or stealing gas out of it. I dont want the punks in my neighborhood.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I don't know your neighborhood or you. I'm just trying to give you a different prespective on the situation.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #45
PipsC10

Quote:
PRECISELY WHAT IM SAYING. THIS TOWN IS NOT A CLEAN TOWN BY ANY FLIPPIN MEANS.... EVERYONES GOT TRASH/JUNK SCRAP METAL SHOVED FROM ONE END OF THEY'RE YARD TO ANOTHER.....ITS KINDA A SLUM TOWN....and i get singled out?! thats what makes me say "WTF"

This is why the ordinance exists. How do you know your the only one who was cited?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #46
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have friends that I work with, that live in Carbondale. You are right, that town is by no means an Icon to the cleaniness god, but maybe you being the outsider, they are concious of your situation. If you go to the City council meeting, you should take photos and associate addresses of the other eyesores (so to speak) and make sure if you are going down, the others do, also.

However, I agree with Pipsc10, about the number of cars in the neighbor's yard thing. I don't think I would be happy with the place looking like a garage or storgae area. ( I would understand, but I would not be happy) No meaness, here, just the honest truth. You moved in, and apparently unloaded and now the neighbors are nervous. My neighbors never *****ed about the few trucks that I had around, but they got upset with the construction of the 40 X 40 shop. Until it was done---then there were those that stopped on the street and bowed while paying homage to the large container of mechanical things. I went to the City first, before I built it, and knew what I could do so the neighbors didn't stand a chance in their criticisims. I keep my stuff out of sight, the best I can, though.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #47
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

What is exactly against the law to own 9 cars and trucks, tagged and insured and they all run but one? If you have them on gravel, there is nothing in their oridinance's that say you can only own so many cars and trucks???? I don't think anybody has the right to tell you how many vehicles you can own. I can have 3 non running trucks here without any problems, heck I've had 5 and nothing has been said. Andrew as I told you today when you were here, go around take a few pics of the other guys places and when you go to your hearing take these pics and ask if they have been served, as you told me today no one else has so it could a be a problem for Carbondale city council if they are singling you out. Have your limbs picked up by the time you go to your hearing and see what they say then. Since they have NOT notified anyone else for violations, they are wrong to single you out. Neighbors need to worry about there own stuff not yours!!! Guys who live in cities do not understand small town stuff, it is way different, its not unusual to go around to a small town and see alot of vehicles around a house, or to have junk piled outside, or about anything else. Good luck
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #48
andrewt2

i really dnt want to go around calling my neighbors out though for their "nuisances" because they really dnt piss me off and i know it wouldnt be good to call out my neighbors that i see every day because then id have the city on me and my own neighbors. so im not really sure what i should do.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #49
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Take some pictures with you. Doesn't have to even be in your own neighborhood and you don't have to point out their names or addresses. There's nothing wrong with having a car hobby, and I would imagine if you explain that and keep it semi-neat back there they are going to leave you alone.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #50
Boog
laying low

Make sure your place is cleaned up. Take some pics with you of your place to show the council as most likely not all if any of them are aware of your citation. As mentioned take a few pics of other places looking much worse than yours and ask if anyone else in the community has been citated. It is a matter of public record. They have to show you. It can be hard to stand your ground and not offend some neighbors. You may need to look into a privacy fence or something. As Piecesparts said you are the young outsider guy and some of the older folks may be assuming you will junk up the yard and make all kinds of noise working on the vehicles and tearing up and down the streets and be a real hoodlum. They may also believe because you are so young they can push you around thinking because of your age you will not know any different.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote