The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
cman962

Back on my 57 project

Hi everyone,
I thought I would share my life long 57 pickup project. I started this project in the early 80's. I got this truck from a neighbor. It sat in his field for several years with the door open. When I asked he said if I could get it out of the field I could have it. I bumped started it (for a few seconds) on the way to my parents about 1/2 mile away. A friend of mind did the body work and painted it for me in 1985. It has a few dings and some rust from setting all those years under a tarp or shed roof on the side of my parents garage for years at a time. What a shame to see it set. I just wasn't motivate, didn't have the funds, or busy raising two kids. I always said "I was going to drive it before I even thought about selling it". Another saying I had was "It isn't eating anything setting there". Well That time has passed! This year my wife and I went to the Good Guy's Hot Rod Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. after a day walking around there I got the bug again.
Last weekend, while my wife was gone for the day, I pulled out the old project from the barn where it has set for about 2 years. I have it in my garage now and I'm working on getting it running. I don't have a bed, but located a nice short bed stepside and I am picking it up this weekend. My truck is a long bed but I plan to shortening the frame to make it a short bed.
I have gotten a lot of info looking at and reading about the projects here. There is a wealth of info in the projects in here.
I'm not sure where I will end up but for now I plan to get it running and Drive It!
I have a chance to get a 1987 short bed rolling frame complete less engine and tranny (was a V6 auto) cheap. Anyone swapped a 55-57 pickup body to a 87 frame? The frame rails are the same width as my 57 at the rear cab and bed mounts. I figure I get a better ride, front disc brakes, and the steering box outside the frame without welding on a front clip.

Here are a few pics I took after knocking the dust off.
Sorry this got long winded....
Attached Images

early 80's rearend
cman962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: Back on my 57 project

Welcome
Looks like a nice truck.
Kim