The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
farmero

Edelbrock help or-

David here. First timer. I have a 79 duallie regular cab in which I put a GM Vortec from summit, nothing special there. I bought the base engine and added all the bolt on stuff including an edelbrock performer manifold and 1825 carb. Problem is the engine has a stumble or stutter when I get into a hard pull as in an uphill drive. It will stumble in all gerars until I get the rpm high enough then it takes off. I have tried changing the springs for the metering rods with no improvement so I am back to the stock springs. Should I start playing with the metering rods and jets? I am going by the instructions from Edelbrock website but they are hard to follow. I use this truck daily (when it works) for my farm and enjoyment. It had a frame off restoration 15 yrs ago and now it is time again. Can you get pictures to this forum or must they go somewhere else?

Last edited by cableguy0; 07-25-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: wtb in post
farmero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Edelbrock help or-

Is the stumble when you first hit the throttle or does it continue to stumble even after the throttle is open? Most carburetor problems are actually timing problems. Where is your timing set? What kind of distributor are you using? Does it do it at wide open throttle,part throttle or when exactly?

I edited your post because you had a wanted to buy ad at the end.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
farmero

The stumble is in all gears and is just off idle, goes away after it get the rpms up. If I lug it in high gear then it will stumble also. Have been considering a new distributor as this is the old original one. I have the timing mark problem that has been discussed here on another thread. "Can't See the Timing Mark". I have done many dist installations before but there is always a first. OK on the edit.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
lazypineapple

i can't be much help. But I'm trying to Sort the same problem out with a 350 in my 52.
i'm runnuing the 1406 carb
bought the tune up kit,
today i went 1 stiffer on the springs and 1 step up on the MeterRods. it was better,
#23 on their guide,
think about trying tomorrow, is to go even Richer, try next larger main, M-rod, and spring,
they are easy to change ,easy to go back.

How many steps heavier did you go on the Step-up Spring?
i only went 1.

edlebrocks instructions recommended going with the stiffest spring first and working your way back till the stumble starts, then back to the spring where it was not stumbling,
my kit came with 5 diff Step-Up springs.
lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
farmero

I tried the heaviest spring first, no good. Went back to one lighter than stock and no change so I put the stock back in.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
cableguy0

If the problem is mainly when you first open the throttle its likely an accelerator pump issue. You need to go to a larger or longer pump shot. You should be able to move the rod on the front driver side of the carb in toward the carb one hole. That will get you more fuel on initial tip in. With that said If your having crazy distributor problems you need to take care of that first before you change anything on the carb.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
farmero

I did the pump adjustment and it helped some. I guess I got my answer for now, time to try another distributor. Should buy a new one of some kind.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmero View Post
I did the pump adjustment and it helped some. I guess I got my answer for now, time to try another distributor. Should buy a new one of some kind.
If you buy a new one, don't be wooed into the cheap ones. They are more trouble than they are worth, especially the first tune when you realize you need to put an advance kit in and the cheapo ones don't come with any extra weights or springs. And their "adjustable" vacuum advances aren't worth a crap either. Assuming you are running a HEI unit, either get a GM Performance unit or if you must go MSD, spend the $$$ and get a Pro Billet.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
If you buy a new one, don't be wooed into the cheap ones. They are more trouble than they are worth, especially the first tune when you realize you need to put an advance kit in and the cheapo ones don't come with any extra weights or springs. And their "adjustable" vacuum advances aren't worth a crap either. Assuming you are running a HEI unit, either get a GM Performance unit or if you must go MSD, spend the $$$ and get a Pro Billet.

I have the Pro-Billet HEi in my truck, and it is a great unit. I also have the Digital 6AL box too... .

Stay away from the MSD "Streetfire" line of distributors. They are barely one step up from the offshore $50 dollar junk.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote