The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
MUDSLT

well I bought a '52.

I found a pretty good deal on an ol' 52 so I picked it up this weekend. For the most part the hard works done. Needs lights front and back, wood in the bed and a few hrs of tracing wires I'm sure. let the fun begin!
Attached Images

MUDSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
bosco

Re: well I bought a '52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSLT View Post
I found a pretty good deal on an ol' 52 so I picked it up this weekend. For the most part the hard works done. Needs lights front and back, wood in the bed and a few hrs of tracing wires I'm sure. let the fun begin!
Great find. I see lots of fun in your future.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Oh yeah...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:58 PM   #4
Daze57

very nice project --good stance ---good luck and keep us updated !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
HUSSEY

Nice. That truck is low, does it have a MKII, front clip, or chassis swap?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
MUDSLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
Nice. That truck is low, does it have a MKII, front clip, or chassis swap?
No it's a 92 s10 frame that's lowered. I'm wanting to raise the front a bit and lower the back a bit. Was thinking about just bagging it but I'm not sure if I wanna pay 1500+ for that
Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
joedoh

yeah thats a bit too low for static driving. I had a gmc that low with a bumper and the bumper hit the high spots in the crown of the road.

looks really low on the frame, is there any mount there at all? or is the cab right on top of the frame. lots of potential there!

Quote:
For the most part the hard works done.
haha keep telling yourself that. we are here when you need help though

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
CATMdude45

Very nice five window, I was looking for a long time but finally settled on a 52 small window. There is always something to do on these old trucks, but that is the fun of it I think.
CATMdude45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
MUDSLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post

haha keep telling yourself that. we are here when you need help though
Well I thought the hard part was done lol

So this wireing is really getting on my nerves. I hate tracing wires. Even thought about pulling the whole harness and replacing it with a simpler harness lot
Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
mr48chev

For most guys wiring is the hard part. At least it comes out real low on the fun stuff to do on the truck list for almost everyone on

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
joedoh

Quote:

So this wireing is really getting on my nerves. I hate tracing wires. Even thought about pulling the whole harness and replacing it with a simpler harness lot
why are you tracing wires? you should be able to find wiring diagrams online for your donor. GM hasnt changed many wire colors in 40 years, so chances are pretty good you can figure it out easily. the only problem with a stock harness is all the extra stuff you DONT NEED.

and if you hate tracing wires, a new harness is truly not the cure. bird in the hand, man, bird in the hand. if the truck runs drives and stops with the current harness, you can figure it out

Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
MUDSLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
why are you tracing wires? you should be able to find wiring diagrams online for your donor. GM hasnt changed many wire colors in 40 years, so chances are pretty good you can figure it out easily. the only problem with a stock harness is all the extra stuff you DONT NEED.

and if you hate tracing wires, a new harness is truly not the cure. bird in the hand, man, bird in the hand. if the truck runs drives and stops with the current harness, you can figure it out
It wouldn't have been so bad if the harness wasn't butchered. I'm slowly figuring it out.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 PM   #13
MUDSLT

So.... While tracing wires trying to get stuff figured out I'm not getting far haha... When I bought the the truck the guy tells me I have a hot wire from the battery to the pink wire on the distributor so the truck will start but not shut off with the switch. So I undo it when I'm working on the truck because it putting power to everything fuel pump ect.

Well I find a pin broken that goes to the wiring harness on the steering column so I fix it and now with the light switch on it powers everything like the hot wire for the battery was doing. So I unplug it for now.

I'm trying to wire up the tail light to the donor harness I'm getting 17v but it won't turn on the running lights. But it powers the fuel pump when I touch them together WTF.

Long story short before I make a thread about it. How do I wire the donor light wires to some stock 52 lights? On the stock likes I have a black and a green wire. On the donor harness I have a brown wire that goes to the switch then I have a black wire that goes to ground then I have a yellow wire that goes to the dir/hazard sw. Any ideas of how this wires up?
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #14
MUDSLT

Attached Images

Old 07-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #15
MUDSLT

let me correct my self I have running lights but no blinker or stop light. The green wire for the tail light goes to the brown from the donor harness and the black is grounded to the truck. So how do get stop and blinkers?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
joedoh

Quote:
So.... While tracing wires trying to get stuff figured out I'm not getting far haha... When I bought the the truck the guy tells me I have a hot wire from the battery to the pink wire on the distributor so the truck will start but not shut off with the switch. So I undo it when I'm working on the truck because it putting power to everything fuel pump ect.

Well I find a pin broken that goes to the wiring harness on the steering column so I fix it and now with the light switch on it powers everything like the hot wire for the battery was doing. So I unplug it for now.

I'm trying to wire up the tail light to the donor harness I'm getting 17v but it won't turn on the running lights. But it powers the fuel pump when I touch them together WTF.

Long story short before I make a thread about it. How do I wire the donor light wires to some stock 52 lights? On the stock likes I have a black and a green wire. On the donor harness I have a brown wire that goes to the switch then I have a black wire that goes to ground then I have a yellow wire that goes to the dir/hazard sw. Any ideas of how this wires up?

the 52 lights will ground through the housing, then the other two wires are your park and stop/turn. so your 52 lights can be thought of as having "three wires", even though one of those wires is technically the housing screwed to the bed, which should be grounded to the frame through the bolts. I dont know which wire (black or green) is park and which is stop/turn, but it will be apparent to you if you have them backwards because the park will be bright and the stop will be dim.

you only need that socket with three wires in the factory harness, the other two sockets you can tape off or more likely run to a tag light. black is ground, brown is parking, and the extra wire (green on one side, yellow on the other) is stop/turn.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #17
dsraven

you can usually get a manual from the library if you don't wanna buy one(I know, library, not just a place to do a burn out in front of, haha) and check out the wiring diagram. pretty straight forward from there.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote