The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
snycal

My first stupid newbie question

I was trying to find the original steering wheel for a 69 C30 (dump truck) Google is failing me. Please let me know if this is it or not. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  91.1 KB
snycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
snycal

Re: My first stupid newbie question

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  67.3 KB
Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
snycal

Dang posting pictures wasn't as easy as I thought on this iPad sorry in advance. This is my truck. Lisa
Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
everettelane

I've seen a few different steering wheels on these trucks none like that one it almost looks like one of the old grant steering wheels, cool old truck though!!!
everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #5
swamp rat

I highly doubt that's original.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:04 AM   #6
TheCougarine

Looks like an old bell style wheel. Not original but still cool. Your factory wheel would have looked something like this

Also I'm digging those stacks

Last edited by TheCougarine; 07-30-2016 at 01:10 AM.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Gromit

Actually that one you have is not bad; but I understand if you want the original or at least to see what it looks like.

The C30 series is not one I am familiar with, but I would expect GM to use parts across the C10-C20-C30 range if it made sense; so you might start by seeing if a C10 wheel for your year will fit your column.

There may be an "installation kit" on there that the previous owner put on in order to install the aftermarket wheel that you have - so it would sure help if you had another C30 to compare it to if you are planning to put the original type back on.

Might also be a good idea to verify that the entire steering column that you have is the original one or type.

OER makes a reproduction steering wheel and it is sold by LMC, Classic Industries and BrothersTrucks and Ecklers and others; so you may have to download their catalogs or check their websites to see where you can get the best shipped price.

My two cents is to approach anything to do with your steering system with caution; one because it is such a critical system and you really don't want to risk it failing while you are driving; and second because for some reason the parts for the column itself seem to be hard to find and/or expensive. Plus the whole column can be hard to work on even though one would think it should be simple - I guess it is just there is a lot going on with all the turn signals and cancelers and flashers and shifters and reverse switch and horn wiring and switch; etc.

Plus you need a puller to get the old wheel off, though you can rent those for free at your local Autozone or Oreillys

Here's some photos from I think Classic Industries of their 1969 OER wheel.. You will also need to know the original color of your trim - (on the SPID sticker)..

Probably no sense looking for an original because the plastic that GM used wasn't very UV resistant or at least not for 40 years - most of them are badly cracked - so the repop version helps a lot..
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
custom10nut

They both nailed it. Though the one you have in there now is cool.
Be aware that the new after market stock wheels are not built as sturdy as the originals. I've seen many comments saying the new ones a flimsy and will flex.
One option for you is to get an original at a swap meet, and if it needs to be refurbished, threw a board member on here that does great work. (I can't remember his name)
BTW, great looking truck. A C-30 is going to be my next truck, to use on my little farm.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
snycal

Thank you all for the advice. The whole column is going to need to go, I think I will get the three spoke c10 for it. It just has a cooler look ha! I don't think trying to save this steering wheel would be worth the headache. Maybe a garage decoration. Lisa
Old 07-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
snycal

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  7.7 KB
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
snycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
They both nailed it. Though the one you have in there now is cool.
Be aware that the new after market stock wheels are not built as sturdy as the originals. I've seen many comments saying the new ones a flimsy and will flex.
One option for you is to get an original at a swap meet, and if it needs to be refurbished, threw a board member on here that does great work. (I can't remember his name)
BTW, great looking truck. A C-30 is going to be my next truck, to use on my little farm.
I think we were posting at the same time. I was thinking of refurbishing but since this is a farm truck i didn't think it would matter. I can't wait to redo my gravel driveway with it. I feel so much more "able" with it and less dependent on others. Farm chores and upkeep are not easy.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
volksworld

had the same wheel on my wrecker....put it on about 40 years ago...it was a popular dirt track wheel at the time...most custom wheels at the time were deep dish and smaller than stock in diameter which wouldnt work in a cramped cab with manual steering...think it was a bell....grant still makes one but now its satin instead of chrome
Old 07-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
snycal

Oh wow, duh! Yea my idea won't work with that cramped cab.
Thanks, Lisa