The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #51
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: Timing mystery ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibdob62 View Post
Pretty sure the balancer is out, Got TDC on no 1 cylinder with the rotor pointing at no 1 terminal but the balancer mark is not zeroed its more like at the point marked on the 1st picture.
I found where you got your first pic from, it was on a web site talking about how the timing mark on the balancer was wrong. balancer spun where the mark was off at TDC.

Its no longer a timing mystery !! Just a duplicate issue on another forum.

Now I am searching for a site that shows the results of a SBC balancer exploding thru the fender/hood.....love pics....
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #52
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I second that. If your balancer is suspect, replace it now. The balancer does just what it says - it balances the rotating assembly. If your balancer is bad you're putting unnecessary and harmful stress on components like your front seal and your crank bearings.

If it's just the wrong balancer (mark in the wrong place) that's not a big deal, but you mentioned that the pulleys on the crank wobble. They're attached directly to the balancer.
If the pulleys themselves are wobbling, you may another issue with a bent crank snout. The pulleys bolt to the inner hub not the outer ring. The picture you posted looks like the outer ring to be in the correct orientation with the keyway
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #53
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

REPLACE the balancer NOW! I had this problem with my Panel, where the timing marks would not even show up with my adjustable timing light set to 180* advanced. It ran fine but no way to get the marks to line up. I knew it was the outer ring had slipped on the inner hub. Here is what I found and lucky I did. Could have been a very bad mistake.

This is what it looked like from the front side.

Here's the back side, where the rubber was missing and pushed out of the groove. It was not far from completely failing.

STOP driving it and REPLACE it!
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote