The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Factory temperature gauge issue

I'm having an issue with the temperature gauge on my '72. The gauge has always read cold and wouldn't move. The guy I bought the truck from said he thought that meant the gauge and not the sender was bad and provided a factory gauge replacement when I bought the truck. I finally switched out the old temp gauge and when I went to test it as soon as I hit the key the new gauge swung to the hot side and when I started the truck the gauge gauge pegged to the hot end. I have put a meter on the wire after taken off the sender and it has some resistance and is not shorted to ground. Is my new temp gauge bad, the sender bad, both or something else?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Factory temperature gauge issue

Depends on where the gauge is getting the erroneous ground signal from. If you're certain its not from the sender, then it's in the cluster or the gauge.

I don't know what the resistance is on the idiot light senders, but it should be high enough I think that it shouldn't cause this even if you had the wrong sender.

What I did was boil mine in a pot of water with a thermometer and an ohmmeter, wrote down the readings of resistance v temp, and mapped it out. So I know mine's right, and you can't go wrong doing it that way...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Seeing as this problem started after you replaced the gauge, I'd recommend double checking it's ground connection to the cluster.

The temp gauge has 2 coils inside. A "hot" coil that pulls the needle to the hot side and a "cold" coil that pulls it to the cold side. Both coils share a common power feed connection.

The "cold" coil is grounded to the cluster housing through a resistor located on the back of the gauge. So a bad connection between the gauge and/or resistor and/or cluster housing (or an open circuited resistor) will prevent any current from flowing through the "cold" coil and pulling the needle to that side.

However, the "hot" coil is grounded through the variable resistance sending unit so current can still flow in that coil. And without any influence from the "cold" coil, that will result in the needle pegging to the hot side.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Thanks guys. The problem was there when I bought the truck. I replaced the gauge since the PO had given me one with the truck, and its reading swapped ends on me with the gauge change. I'll check the grounds.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote