The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Tcwivwallace

Lights are Fixed (Kind of) and Now it Doesn't Start..

Hey everyone,

I have good news and bad news. Good news is I got power to the back lights(running lights). It turns out it was a faulty headlight switch. Anyhow, next is to the get the brake lights and flashers working, which I believe is the turn signal switch.

Anyhow, the bad news. As my father and I were testing wires to the back lights last week, the truck died. We thought nothing of it and continued testing lights and eventually fixed them. Anyhow, when we went to start it back up, click. From then on, there was nothing but clicks. So, I went outside everyday to do body work and I tried starting it. One day, it started to turn over, but I didn't fire it up only because it 7AM and I didn't want to wake all the people in my dorm. Anyhow, my father and I decided that the issue was the starter. So, just today, I purchased a new starter and solenoid. As soon as it was all hooked back up, just clicks. After the clicking, I checked the battery voltage. I found 11V. So, I went out and bought a brand new battery. Still, just clicks. I need some help with this issue. So, total, it has a brand new battery and a new starter. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, all help is appreciated.

1972 GMC C1500 5.7L 350 2WD

Ted
Tcwivwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
El Dorado Jim

Re: Lights are Fixed (Kind of) and Now it Doesn't Start..

check your ground cable connection,where it connects to the frame and or engine
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
66clow

Having a similar issue have not checked it yet but I think my issue is needing to shime the starter possibly. My solenoid sticking.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
jjzepplin

Charge your battery
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Lights are Fixed (Kind of) and Now it Doesn't Start..

I agree with the ground theory. If you turn on your headlights and then turn the key over and the lights dim, most likely a ground issue. One other thing to check, there are two types of ring gears, one has 58 teeth and other has 60+ (can't remember exactly) if the nose of the starter isn't matched for the correct flywheel/flexplate, the starter might be hung up on the ring gear. can you jumper the terminals on the solenoid with a screw driver and see if it turns over there? just a suggestion, but be careful with a screw driver when jumpering the solenoid, you can "Arc Weld" the blade to your manifold/headers if you accidently ground the hot cable with the screw driver!
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
cdowns

remove the two battery cables and clean all 4ends to bright and shiney then have somebody install them and tighten them up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
68 Chevyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I agree with the ground theory. If you turn on your headlights and then turn the key over and the lights dim, most likely a ground issue. One other thing to check, there are two types of ring gears, one has 58 teeth and other has 60+ (can't remember exactly) if the nose of the starter isn't matched for the correct flywheel/flexplate, the starter might be hung up on the ring gear. can you jumper the terminals on the solenoid with a screw driver and see if it turns over there? just a suggestion, but be careful with a screw driver when jumpering the solenoid, you can "Arc Weld" the blade to your manifold/headers if you accidently ground the hot cable with the screw driver!
Ben
x2!!