The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #1
1962K10

Build begins for my 62’ K10

Hey all! Finally got the ball rolling a bit, thanks to some crazy overtime weeks I’ve picked up some of the body parts I need for my truck. I got off pretty lucky only needing fenders, cab corners, door skins, and inner and outer rocker panels. I had looked a lot of trucks prior to buying this one and the condition of those couldn’t even compare.

My plans as far as the drivetrain goes are a Dana 60 in the front, np205 and 14B rear. I have a lot of options for those in the 72-87 range near me however both axles I’ve only found in 8 Lug with the 60 already having disc brakes and most 14 bolts being full float. I’ve looked a bit on lugnut4x4 and happily found a disc brake conversion for those so I guess I can live with an 8 lug truck. I think 3.73 gears would work great for what I’m wanting as well.

I just have a couple questions for if anyone feels inclined to chime in, are all np205s divorced and compatible or should I look for a certain year and spline count? I’m aware I’ll have to have custom driveshafts built.

As far as an engine and trans go, I’ve thought about both an ls swap or a nice bbc but I have a buddy that does insurance claims and could probably find me a lbz Duramax motor. I’ve done my research on here and on other forums concerning wiring, electronic pedals and steering columns with disabled VATS. If I were to go this route, is there any difference in the 2wd ZF6 and the 4wd version? From what I could tell the transfer case from newer silverados was just direct bolt up to the trans and there was no difference between the two. The main things I see as a potential challenge would be the motor mounts and support crossmembers for the trans and transfer case. However I am CAD guy so that shouldn’t be much of a problem. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions as I dig further but I have learned a ton already from this forum.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 1962K10; 02-18-2019 at 02:13 PM.
1962K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
350TacoZilla

Re: Build begins for my 62’ K10

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new project!
Pretty much all common dana 60's are going to be 8lug but there are aftermarket spindle\hubs available to make them 6lug if you cannot live with 8lug, on the rear all the 72-87 14bolts are 8lug, there are SF versions and FF but in those years they are all 8lug. The IFS trucks had a heavy GVW 1500 and light GVW 2500 truck that was 6lug with the SF 14bolt but I wouldnt bother if you are doing a 60 front since rear would be weaker than front and a duramax would munch it pretty quick. You can also have the 14bolt FF turned down and drilled for 6 lug but really with the diesel in the plans I would just plan to go 8 lug all around and reinforce your frame. If you are able to get a parts silverado diesel I would use the rear from it since they are strong and have good disk brakes with a good parking brake (parking brakes are sometimes iffy on aftermarket disk brake conversions). If you end up with just motor and such then a 00+ silverado gas 2500 has the 14bolt FF with factory disks.

Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 02-19-2019 at 02:26 AM.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
kdad

Subscribed for the Duramax swap...

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 AM   #4
1962K10

[QUOTE=350TacoZilla;8468811]Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new project!

Thank you! I wasn’t even aware of newer chevy’s having 14b, I wonder if they have any wheel speeds/abs sensors. I’ll have to do some reading up on that!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #5
1962K10

Very small update with the truck, purchased a TIG welder from eastwood and it is much better than fooling with a MIG. My order from LMC came in with all the weatherstripping and seals for the whole truck with a other few odds and ends. Weather here in VA is becoming gradually better and I hope to get the truck repaired with patch panels and epoxy primer the entire truck in three different sections (front clip/cab/bed) and I got my buddy on the hunt for a good Duramax motor and trans. I also got a little bored and came up with a few designs for keychains and printed them off. I may add these to the "for sale" section if I get enough interest. Can't wait to really get started on this truck!
Attached Images