The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Melnickta

Purchased an IFS system

I just bought a Southern Rod IFS system for the truck (with the power rack option). I'm a bit nervous about having such major surgery done on the ol' girl. I don't have the technical know-how to do it, so I'm having a shop do it and (I think it's their first time). They quoted me $1500, which sounds better than the $4k the local hot rod shop estimated for labor alone. Anyone been through this before?
Melnickta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Purchased an IFS system

I don't pay shops to do work because I'm perfectly capable of screwing it up all by myself ;-)

Are you having the shop remove and reinstall the engine, front sheet metal, etc? If so, that sounds like a good price. No doubt the SR IFS comes with complete instructions so it should be easy for a competent mechanic. Does the shop have a good reputation?
Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
dsraven

ensure to pick your tire size diameter and the rake angle you like before going to the shop so you get the right stance and the shop can get the angles right before welding it in place.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
dsraven

just in case, they will likely need to do something with the steering column as well because it is part of the original steering box. some cut it of and shorten the outer tube and install a bearing at the bottom,leaving some of the original shaft sticking out to accept an aftermarket steering column ujoint. that way you can keep the stock looking steering wheel, signal switch, shifter etc. otherwise there are a few loose ends you will need to deal with when they get the ifs in. you may end up trailering it home if you planned to do that stuff yourself. keep the old stuff to sell later? somebody you know wants it? the shop will keep it as part of the package?
not sure what you have for a truck or how custom,if at all, it is. a few pics or a description of what you have would be great.
what is the shop hourly rate? trying to get a handle on how many hours they figure it will take them. reputation? proper tools?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Melnickta

It's pretty bone stock except for the SBC and auto trans. Want to keep the steering column as is and use a u-joint to connect up to the steering on the IFS.

I'm fine doing minor things, but for anything that involves my safety, I want a professional doing it. They have been in business for a while and have a good reputation. This seems like an insurmountable task of pulling the engine, front clip, ect and then doing the "surgery" on the suspension.

The truck has a single reservoir brake cylinder, so likely need to upgrade that to a dual.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
mr48chev

We all have our skill levels and limitations as far as what we can or can't do on our trucks. I'm not going to fault anyone for choosing to pay to have something done that they don't feel they have the skills to do.

That said if they are going to unbolt the nose, pull the engine and trans, pull the stock suspension, modify the column, install the crossmember kit and get it to point it can go on the alignment rack, set up the motor mounts and install the engine and trans back in and then bolt the nose back on 1500 is pretty cheap for labor.

I'm assuming that you bought the Part No.: 105CTK-SO kit with your choice of options.

Their instruction sheet is pretty straight forward https://www.southernrods.com/instruc...hub-to-hub.pdf Pretty much the same instructions that a few others have with slight changes.

I would not have them deviate from those instructions and follow off the wall suggestons to. I know guys think they have to jack and screw with them to get "their ideal" caster but that is unnecessary 90% of the time.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
mr48chev

One thing I would suggest even if you are having the shop do all of the work. Clean up the whole engine compartment and front of the chassis as much as you can getting any grease, oil and dirt off it so the shop has a clean engine compartment and chassis to work with. That might take a pocket full of quarter at the car wash and some Gunk or Oil Eater to spray on it but it will be very much appreciated by the guys working on it.

Take them a truck that is clean top to bottom and in an out an it helps get the job done better.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
_Ogre

Ifs means new mc, brake lines and steering. If you want the look, the back end needs to be lowered. Be sure to include this
Mark the centerline of the axle and move ifs centerline forward 1.25"
I'd remove the front sheet metal before taking it to the shop

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnickta View Post
I'm fine doing minor things, but for anything that involves my safety, I want a professional doing it.
Ha ha, I'm the opposite: anything that involves my safety, I want to do MYSELF.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #10
dsraven

why not dissassemble it yourself to save some money but also save broken off bolts, burnt paint, scratched parts etc. the dissassembly of the stuff can cost extra time because they will use impact tools on old rusty bolts so stuff is bond to break or strip out. they won't have the time to spend massaging siezed parts so stuff will just get busted and then extra time charged for the small repairs. this can add up. otherwise where a welded on body nut may normally be there may be a burn mark from the heat applied to loosen the siezed part and then when the bolt breaks off the nut will be drilled out and tapped or else simple cut off and a regular nut put on the back side instead. dissessemble it, then clean the frame etc, trailer or tow it over,have them do the ifs work, then assemble it yourself. then you will have time to clean/paint the engine/trans/frame, flush the rad, do some wiring etc as required. put tape on all the close body edges that may touch upon dissassembly or assembly so if they bump there is less possible damages. have them do the ifs and then you can do the rest yourself and get it like you want it. it is man hours to take it all apart and sitting in their shop is more likelyhood of getting the painted parts scuffed or nicked.
ensure you ask exactly what will be done for the $1500 before they start. if it is their first one they may not know that the steering column,brakes, etc will be affected and need to be modified. you don't wanna find out 1/2 way through that the price will double due to unforeseen items like shortening a steering column. these are time consuming things if it is their first time around and if done by the hour.....
also,ask for ALL the old parts back. you may be able to recoup some costs selling the old stuff but also you may need something from the pile of take-offs. never get rid of anything until the new stuff is completely done and proven to work.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
Melnickta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
why not dissassemble it yourself to save some money but also save broken off bolts, burnt paint, scratched parts etc. the dissassembly of the stuff can cost extra time because they will use impact tools on old rusty bolts so stuff is bond to break or strip out. they won't have the time to spend massaging siezed parts so stuff will just get busted and then extra time charged for the small repairs. this can add up. otherwise where a welded on body nut may normally be there may be a burn mark from the heat applied to loosen the siezed part and then when the bolt breaks off the nut will be drilled out and tapped or else simple cut off and a regular nut put on the back side instead. dissessemble it, then clean the frame etc, trailer or tow it over,have them do the ifs work, then assemble it yourself. then you will have time to clean/paint the engine/trans/frame, flush the rad, do some wiring etc as required. put tape on all the close body edges that may touch upon dissassembly or assembly so if they bump there is less possible damages. have them do the ifs and then you can do the rest yourself and get it like you want it. it is man hours to take it all apart and sitting in their shop is more likelyhood of getting the painted parts scuffed or nicked.
ensure you ask exactly what will be done for the $1500 before they start. if it is their first one they may not know that the steering column,brakes, etc will be affected and need to be modified. you don't wanna find out 1/2 way through that the price will double due to unforeseen items like shortening a steering column. these are time consuming things if it is their first time around and if done by the hour.....
also,ask for ALL the old parts back. you may be able to recoup some costs selling the old stuff but also you may need something from the pile of take-offs. never get rid of anything until the new stuff is completely done and proven to work.
That's a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have the skills (or tools or space) required to remove an engine, front body, ect without some significant "adult supervision." Wish now I'd have learned more from my dad...
Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnickta View Post
That's a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have the skills (or tools or space) required to remove an engine, front body, ect without some significant "adult supervision." Wish now I'd have learned more from my dad...
You are more capable than you think... If you have access to Youtube, wrenches, and sockets, you can make some progress. That being said, if doing those things doesn't bring you joy, and money is not an issue, by all means pay someone and spend your time doing what makes you happy!
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:15 AM   #13
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
That being said, if doing those things doesn't bring you joy, and money is not an issue, by all means pay someone and spend your time doing what makes you happy!
Words of wisdom, especially the "joy" part. Some guys like doing the work, others only like the finished car. If you're one of the latter group you're better off hiring it out. It's really great to pay someone and not have to endure the agony, frustration and busted knuckles of a self-builder. And ruin your enjoyment of your truck in the process.

And regarding learning from YouTube: I just watched some brain surgery vids - a little ether starting fluid for anesthesia and an Exacto knife for a scalpel and I'm ready!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
Brads49

I'm in the process of installing a Southern Rods IFS on my '49. I am not a professional car builder but working in construction, I am capable of reading a tape measure and the instructions are clear. If the shop is capable of cutting/welding/reading/measuring, I think you'll be fine. $1,500 seems pretty low cost for the amount of work they'll be doing removing sheetmetal and stock components.
Brads49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Melnickta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads49 View Post
I'm in the process of installing a Southern Rods IFS on my '49. I am not a professional car builder but working in construction, I am capable of reading a tape measure and the instructions are clear. If the shop is capable of cutting/welding/reading/measuring, I think you'll be fine. $1,500 seems pretty low cost for the amount of work they'll be doing removing sheetmetal and stock components.
I won't be surprised if the number goes up. I've got a budget, and as long as it doesn't go above that, I should be fine with the Mrs. One local shop wanted $4k in labor alone (it's a fancy hot rod shop around here) and that seemed a tad excessive. I figure anything below $2500 will be a fair deal. I've purchased all of the parts except the power steering pump.

Need to install Air Conditioning after this is done, but didn't want to overload them with work.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #16
vineyard1

In the beginning there is price. In the end there is cost. If they have never done an IFS install, I wouldn’t use them under any circumstances. There are too many things to go wrong & your safety has no price. Let them experiment on someone else. Save more money or strip the truck yourself & take it to the high dollar guy. You will get a much better price if you some of the work. Also take a hard look at the guys welding ability. Just because he can flip the switch on the machine doesn’t make him qualified to weld a front end. Yes, $4K is a lot of money, but not out of line for a complete job that is correct. You are paying for hard won skill & knowledge. Think hard about what these guys have been telling you here & read between the lines. There is some really hard won knowledge talking to you here.
vineyard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

20-20 hindsight I'd do it myself. R&R'ing the "dog house" on these trucks is about as simple as it gets. Just ordinary nuts and bolts.

Disconnect the front lights. Drain/disconnect upper & lower radiator hoses. Unbolt the rest. Ziplok bag the bolts of each area and write location on the outside.

Take pictures every step of the way if you feel insecure and count/write down the number and placement of body shims as you do it.

A shop will NEVER do the small things you will do. A wire wheel on a bench grinder will do wonders with cleaning off years of rust from shims & bolts. Once it's all apart you can hire a certified welder to come in and finalize the install. If a shop hasn't done it before you don't know if they'll partially re-assemble it to make sure the axle centerline is re-centered. And they DO typically have to be moved....forward from 1" to 2"

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote