The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
nvrdone

door locks

ive got bear claw latches in my doors, but unfortunately they wont lock from inside with the handle or from outside with the key.
what id like to find is some kind of dead bolt latch solenoid that is operated with a remote. that way I could mount it in the corner of the cab with the bolt going thru the door frame into the door.
any one got any great ideas? thanks
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
e015475

Re: door locks

Search "12v electronic dead bolt" and you should find something you can adapt for your truck.

It would be a lot easier to hook up a conventional automotive door lock solenoid to the bear claw lock.

My bear claws had a L-shaped lever that blocked the mechanism to lock the doors and I connected the solenoid to it with a rod to lock/unlock with a key fob
e015475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
65blackfleetside

this is what i used on my 51:
https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Suic...y-System-(Pair)

I ended up using a stronger more powerful door actuator this autoloc pair of poppers were not strong enough to throw the bolts. So if you can purchase these lock mechanisms w/o the poppers?- I would go that route. Use the bolts but upgrade to a stronger actuator/popper.

I got a stronger pair of actuators from Balls vintage glass/ door accessories online . These work good with the remote key fab system that balls sells too.

What I like about this lock set added to y stock door latches but no locks ( I deleted the locks) is this: lets say someone wants to steal my truck- They break the window, reach in and try to open the door from the inside but it wont open and they will have no idea why? The bolt is 3/4 of the way down the jam.

I also put a GPS tracker on mine . It would just kill me if I did all this work only for someone to drive off with it.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
mr48chev

Almost all of the hot rod parts vendors sell the Auto loc setup. That was the first part of the Hoffman groups products. The issue is the not quite strong or reliable enough actuators as 65blackfleetside mentoned. They either work or don't work and were originally designed for suicide doors.

I see that Balls rods and customs sells a similar set. https://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/in...ct_detail&p=39 They also sell actuators and controls.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
nvrdone

ok guys thanks for the info. now I know where to start the research
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Gippetto

I am missing something. The solenoid pulls open the bolt door lock your adding. How do you engage the bolt? First I figured manually then realized you have to lock it from outside the truck. What don't I see?
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
65blackfleetside

on the aftermarket bolt (autoloc link above) system that i installed you can turn the bolt from inside manually or with a remote control key fab from outside the truck

My set up uses no traditional door lock key.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
b-mac

I'm working on this issue myself right now. I used the autoloc kit I got, with lock solenoid.

In this pic, I have them flipped side to side and mounted on the outside of the door, so I can mark my holes.

I bent the little lock flip thing that was mentioned above 90 degrees to clear the glass.
Attached Images

Last edited by b-mac; 03-15-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Phone rotates the pic...
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
65blackfleetside

"I used the autoloc kit I got, with lock solenoid."

-I didn't have any luck with the autotoc actuators they just were not strong enough. Sometimes the bolt would throw sometimes they were not strong enough to through the bolt.

From my experience I would go with a more powerful actuator- without the option of a manual key unlock I don't want to run the risk of the doors locking me out.
(Side note: in an absolute emergency as in I have dead battery, I can pull the rubber chord on one rear corner window and the glass pops right out. Reach my arm in and unlock door. shh. dont tell the would be thieves)

Here is a picture of the autoloc bolt install. I am still using OEM door lock mechanisms too - I just pinned the lock part with a small stainless bolt and lock nut so lock is non operational.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
65blackfleetside

Here is the remote system that I went with- $85.00. Comes with two key fabs easy to install underdash. Works great!

https://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/in...t_detail&p=128

I upgraded to these actuators they are about the same size as the autoloc and much stronger
Plenty of power to move this hardware
and small enough to mate to the autoloc bolt system:

https://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/in...ct_detail&p=46