The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
65blackfleetside

Has anyone run into this problem when ordering new glass?

So I ordered all new glass for my cab from a vendor that several on here recommended. When the glass arrived I attempted to install the metal frame around the new door glass and noticed that the new door glass is two inches longer than the original door glass.

I immediately called the vendor that I ordered the glass from and was told "Because you are going with power windows- most people order door glass 2" longer".

I did not specify my door glass to be cut 2" longer but i did let the vendor know that I was running power windows.

With regret I did not immediately send the glass back . Instead I painstakingly extended the metal frame installed power windows motors and now the last 2" of the glass will not extend up into frame under power of motor. I can slide it by hand w/o reg attached but last 2" are very tight.

I ordered another piece of door glass from different vendor the correct oem size. window motor now works flawlessly.

Now I am stuck with 2 pieces of door glass that are useless- $160.00.

I ordered this glass back in November but as you all can relate It takes months to get around to installing this stuff.

So I guess my question to you all is: Am I right in requesting my $ back for the longer door glass?
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Has anyone run into this problem when ordering new glass?

If you didn't order two inch taller glass and they sent you two inch taller glass then they MUST take it back in my opinion. They need to learn communication. If they did ask "do you have power windows" and you said yes, the FOLLOWING comment would be, "would you like the glass two inches taller?"

FULL communication from the vender would have included you fully understanding that the glass you would be receiving would be two inches taller, end of discussion. If you didn't FULLY understand that, then they sent you something you didn't order thus, you send it back.

I can't understand this at all, why would it need to be two inches taller? Maybe a certain aftermarket power window kit makes this needed, but just because you have "power windows" doesn't mean the glass would need to be taller, this is just plain NUTS and poor communication.

I had power windows in my truck years ago. I made the regulators out of a 63 Buick parts car I had. I cut the truck regulator arm off and welded it to the Buick regulator arm with the same distance between the pivot points of the stock arm. Then mounted the regulator in the door with the Buick pivot point at the exact same location as the stock truck one was, wham, power windows. And no need to have a longer glass. So if they would have asked me I would have said "Yep, I have power windows" but honestly I would have questioned this, because it makes no sense! Why in the world would you need to know if you have an automatic or a manual transmission when buying wheels? It makes no sense what so ever, so I would have asked. But it's not the customers responsibility to try and figure out why in the heck they are asking this, it's THEIR responsibility to KNOW that the customer fully understands why they are getting the glass they are sending.

I have to believe it's a "thing" with some aftermarket power window set up someone sells, that is the only thing that makes sense. They make the power window set up WRONG and it requires a taller glass?

Wow, call them up, tell them how they didn't explain this and that you have to return the glass. Don't "ask them" if you can, talk to them politely with a mater a fact that the glass WILL be returned because THEY sent you the wrong ones. You were confused and bought other glass and it worked so you will be sending these back.

Good luck, if they don't treat you well post about that so others won't buy from them and get the same poor service.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
MARTINSR

The second thing that comes to mind is how difficult it would be to install the glass in the door if it were two inches longer? They don't just fit it there wham bam as I remember. Now my truck has a 3.5 inch chopped top and getting that window frame in there that is also chopped 3.5 inches is a job. So I wonder how the glass would even go in?

I am thinking that the 2 inch taller glass is to be used without the window frame. I am thinking that is it. Look at your photo, the glass is taller by how tall that lower piece of the window frame. Thus, the typical power window system must use a glue in lower channel like a late model car and not use those frames at all! Yep, that is the difference, they weren't planning on you using those frames. And again, that is THEIR problem that they didn't fully communicate with you.

And honestly, not use the frames, come on, they are so cool!

Brian

Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
65blackfleetside

the doors in the 47-54 trucks have a curve in them- so i am sure this extra 2" made this glass bind when rolling up.
I never asked for the 2" it was never brought up during the order process.

However- it has been several months since it was ordered and delivered.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
MARTINSR

I'd be getting a refund.

Brian

Old 03-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
mr48chev

I can't understand why anyone would want to deal with 2 inch taller glass power windows or not. I'd make them eat it as that isn't want I ordered.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Rude Dude

Many aftermarket power window kits attach at bottom of glass with a wider clamping device because metal window frames are not used when power is installed. This would explain why vendor allowed for longer glass at the bottom
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Many aftermarket power window kits attach at bottom of glass with a wider clamping device because metal window frames are not used when power is installed. This would explain why vendor allowed for longer glass at the bottom
It just blows me away because JUST BECAUSE you say you have power windows it MEANS you used one of these kits? I had power windows and I used the stock window frames, why in the world would they have a blanket rule like that, how about communicating with the customer?

Brian

Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
mr48chev

The only thing I can think of is that they believe that the extra 2 inches stabalizes the one piece glass in the channel but as we see it also messes with the glass fitting in it's frame. Unless they intended for it to run frameless.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote