The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
fordguy40

Fuse block gasket?

Traced my footwell leak to the fuse block. Not seeing fuse block gaskets for 73-87 trucks....are these being reproduced?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Fuse block gasket?

i would prob just smack a bead of rtv around it from the firewall / engine bay side and let her cure up and be good .

but if your getting water in from there i would want to know were its coming from . . . check that its not above it and leaking in from the cowl area seam and the seam sealer inside the wiper cowl is all dried up and full of leafs and junk and holding water . i had one years ago this was the problem . cleaned it out . scuffed the old seam sealer that wouldn't pop out good . then re-did the seam sealer and let cure and good to go .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
fordguy40

Was hoping it wasn't the cowl seam and it doesn't appear to be. Spent the morning clearing out the cowl and fender drains with compressed air then running water into the area between the fender and cowl, just inside the cowl, and then just on the outer part of the cowl at the base of the windshield. Found a small leak at one of the screws for the passenger's side kickpanel vent when water is placed only in the cowl and at the fusebox when water runs along outside the cowl and down the diagonal pinchweld under the wiper motor. The pinchweld routes the water direct to that bottom screw on the fuse block and I end up with a small drop of water on the head of that bolt in the cab. I have some 3M strip caulk I'm going to place on the screws before I run them through, but the fuse block gasket just disintegrated when I separated the connector.

I'd rtv it, but I'm afraid that I'll break it if I have to separate it again. Would really like to just buy the gasket and be done with it!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Pontiac1976

Try the RTV as said, run the bead a bit thicker( higher) let it tack up a little longer then directions say. Then use latex style gloves put small bit of oil finger lightly coat the RTV just so it has a filament on it only (the whole bead one side only). It should be little more then tacky all most dry but will conform to other side but not squash out too much.(Tighten it down 1/2 way let dry as directions say.)
The oil keep the from sticking, when dry remove(unscrew wipe off the oil on both sides clean reinstall screw snug you just made a gasket that reusable. You may have to try this some thing small to get the drying time tightening TQ setting that the key.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
Pontiac1976

Try the RTV as said, run the bead a bit thicker( higher) let it tack up a little longer then directions say. Then use latex style gloves put small bit of oil finger lightly coat the RTV just so it has a filament on it only (the whole bead). It should be little more then tacky all most dry but will conform to other side but not squash out too much.(Tighten it down 1/2 way let dry as directions say.)
The oil keep the from sticking, when dry remove(unscrew wipe off the oil on both sides clean reinstall screw snug you just made a gasket that reusable. You may have to try this some thing small to get the drying time tightening TQ setting that the key.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy40 View Post
I have some 3M strip caulk I'm going to place on the screws before I run them through, but the fuse block gasket just disintegrated when I separated the connector.

I'd rtv it, but I'm afraid that I'll break it if I have to separate it again. Would really like to just buy the gasket and be done with it!
You could also use the strip caulk to seal around the fuse block / bulkhead connector opening. That stuff stays soft & gooey so you wouldn't have to worry about breaking the fuse block if you ever had to take it out again.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Ray has the best advice right there! That stuff is better than an OEM style gasket anyway!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Wgesnerjr

I used some the thin foam from the kids craft section of the hobby store. it comes in different colors and are usually cut out for alphabet letters and numbers.

I originally used this stuff in black on the heater-A/C box on one of the vent doors. Used the leftover scrap to make the bulkhead gasket. glued it on with rubber cement. that held it until installation. once installed it works great.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote