The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Leadfoot1

Just help...... Please!!!

Hey guys,

Not exactly “the new guy” here... but yeah, i was more of a lurker than anything else for a long time as i never really found the right truck, so i read more than i posted, dreaming!! LOL!! But that is all changing now, as, just before winter, i found the most awesome truck and at a super deal!! With winter finally on the ending side, im getting ready to jump into the project with both feet!! 🙂

Truck’s an 87 R30 (2WD Dually Crew Cab) Got it cause i have always wanted a crew cab and because this truck is soooo MINT ( Its never seen any winters and only has like 65k miles). Its a 6.2 as well, so my first D!!! It belonged to an elderly gentleman (a neighbour of mine) since new (Yup! Thats right, One owner!!) and i finally got to get my hands on it. But now that i have it, i am realizing that my “simple” plan of lifting it and putting some 35’s on it (max were allowed here... i know, deff sucks!) is gonna be a lot more complicated than i tought. Especially as im having a pretty hard time finding a simple way to lift this brick!!

Ive read and read but cant find anything to really help... im almost to the point of doing a slammed truck.... i even looked at those Alcoas set ups with wheel adapters. I mean, its pretty low actually and inhave a set of dually fenders to put on the bed i just picked up!! (Y, truck had a tilt bed on it and i sold it and was wanting to single wheel it)

But id so much prefer to lift it.

A bit of background on myself? Im a Muscle car guy, Chevy only. Most of the time a first gen Camaro nut, i am actually just finishing a pretty cool project of a bad ass little small tire ‘70 Nova (turbo’d LS, built, Hi Ram, S480, REID Glide, PTC torque, moly shaft, fully built Fab 9 rear, Wilwoods all around, black Welds Aluma stars 2.0 wheels, 8 sec chassis/ front to trunk and yada yada yada), and sooo, i know much more about Chevy cars... than i know about Squares, but im learning!!!

This site is huge and i cant seem to find the info i need even after many many searches pertaining to “maybe” using a solid axle(?),(but not connecting, idea is to be able to lift the truck with leaf springs, not to make it a 4x4, at least for now). I have enough projects for now and even if id LOVE to have it with a working 4x4, its definitely not in the cards for now.... but i love the truck and want to try and do something to make it mine a little more.

Anyway, dont want to keep you guy’s reading forever on here.... so, would any of you with more time on this monster of a site be willing to maybe steer me to some posts that could be of help with this?? Or maybe some of you even have better solutions to my quest?? That would be sooo awesome.

Im trying to not look at too many builds because we all know the sickness!! Sometimes the Nova is starting to feel more like a paperweight... and i often feel like my efforts should all be towards the truck LOL!!!

Anyway, i’ll be looking forward to seeing if anyone has an idea.

Thanks for the help, means a lot!!

Lead.
Leadfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: Just help...... Please!!!

Welcome, I’m sure you’ll get plenty of help. But

I wanna see this mint CC!!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
74CustomK20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot1 View Post
Its a 6.2 as well, so my first D!!!
I remember my first d... Ahh college was a helluva time for experimenting lol. If you Wana lift your dually, I've heard of people using 88-98 lift spindles with crossover parts (ball joints and such).
If you do want to convert it to 4x4 you can use all stock parts but it'll be quiiite a bit of work, although doable. But pics, or it didn't happen!!
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
cadillac_al

I think I would drive it as is. I don't think a 2WD truck needs 35's. It would make a comfortable tow rig.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
SunSoaked

SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
ShortHaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74CustomK20 View Post
I remember my first d... Ahh college was a helluva time for experimenting lol. If you Wana lift your dually, I've heard of people using 88-98 lift spindles with crossover parts (ball joints and such).
If you do want to convert it to 4x4 you can use all stock parts but it'll be quiiite a bit of work, although doable. But pics, or it didn't happen!!
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 AM   #7
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I think I would drive it as is. I don't think a 2WD truck needs 35's. It would make a comfortable tow rig.
+1....curious what the point or benefit would be to lifting a dually, especially a 2WD one.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
Leadfoot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
+1....curious what the point or benefit would be to lifting a dually, especially a 2WD one.
Haha!! Hey Nick, i mentionned i want to replace the dually rear as well. Im wanting to single wheel this thing. Im just wanting to get the lifted truck look cause i like it. Its gonna be a truck to enjoy around town and close to my daily driver on good days. I want to repaint it at some point but it is still very shiny and clean. Its just dings and dents and a 1980’s stripe that dont make it show on its best day...

I always liked dually’s but its big enough as is a s a straight P-u. And the wife says its Ugly as hell!, LOL!! So im just wanting to make it more civilian...ish!!! LOL!!

Hey thanks for the anwsers guys.

I will upload some pics of the truck and show you guys!! I didnt put any as its still a stock, cab and chassis stocker.... but a clean and solid one!!!

Lead
Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
SunSoaked

You say you always liked dually's so you bought one. Then you say you want to convert it to single rear wheel.
I'm already feeling for your poor wife. Confused in realville.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Matt_50

My wife didn't really care for my 84 a whole lot, but she tolerated it a lot more after it got painted. Solid midnight blue color.

I can understand liking the look of jacking it up. There are a lot of oil field guys out here that have jacked up their rigs. Swapping the rear end and bed sounds a little pricey...
Old 03-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Leadfoot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
My wife didn't really care for my 84 a whole lot, but she tolerated it a lot more after it got painted. Solid midnight blue color.

I can understand liking the look of jacking it up. There are a lot of oil field guys out here that have jacked up their rigs. Swapping the rear end and bed sounds a little pricey...
Not really, found a mint bed locally for 300$ paid for already just need to pick it up. Its even the right color!! LOL!!

The rear will depend i guess... but thats all related to what i do with the front. But a housing is like 2/400$ round here.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
Nick_R_23

I think my advice in this case, if the truck is truly in mint condition and you got a great deal like you say, would be to keep it intact, sell it for a profit, and use the money (or trade your truck!) for a Crew Cab SRW 4x4 truck, which would bring you much closer to your intended goal.

This way, you would eliminate the hassle of trying to work around the 2WD system to get a lift to work, with a 4x4 chassis the kits are plentiful to get it sitting as high as you desire. This will also retain value with the truck in the future if/when you decide to sell it. 2WD is desirable in a dually tow rig, not at all on a lifted truck. 4x4 will be more beneficial to you.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
Matt_50

Finding one the same color is an awesome find. 4x4 chassis would probably be better for lifting but I'm guessing yours just looked to good to pass up huh? Interior awesome too?

How much lift are you wanting?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
Matt_50

Post some pictures!!!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
Leadfoot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I think my advice in this case, if the truck is truly in mint condition and you got a great deal like you say, would be to keep it intact, sell it for a profit, and use the money (or trade your truck!) for a Crew Cab SRW 4x4 truck, which would bring you much closer to your intended goal.

This way, you would eliminate the hassle of trying to work around the 2WD system to get a lift to work, with a 4x4 chassis the kits are plentiful to get it sitting as high as you desire. This will also retain value with the truck in the future if/when you decide to sell it. 2WD is desirable in a dually tow rig, not at all on a lifted truck. 4x4 will be more beneficial to you.
.....interesting.

Thing is, finding a truck this clean is next to impossible round here, why im trying to just make it what id like and hold onto it. I dont mind talking money so, i paid 5500$ for it but sold the tilt box for 3600$ so truck is really not a big expense. My planned use of it is around town stuff and just it beeing a good running, looking truck to use for general light stuff. Just a nice and cool vintage truck to run around in you know.

Funny thing is i actually put it up for sale but it wasnt the best timing with winter coming. I had a lot of interest (and i put it out at 7500$!!). But like i said... once gone, im gonna be the one at the other end of the line looking for a clean one!!!

Hey, I’ll look into every possibility a little more... The nice season is coming so maybe things ‘ll move a little and could bring some deals around. I could post it up for trade as well...

Thanks for the help,

🙂
Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
Leadfoot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Finding one the same color is an awesome find. 4x4 chassis would probably be better for lifting but I'm guessing yours just looked to good to pass up huh? Interior awesome too?

How much lift are you wanting?
No real idea... were limited to 35” tires here in Montreal and surroundings. Enough to clear those. And btw, dont care much for ride comfort, its a truck!! Lol!!

Ill post pics soon. Just need to find my account info on PB. Then upload some pics... argh... ok, i hate doing that stuff is the main reason, LOL!!😂
Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #17
Leadfoot1

Lets see.....

Been awhile since i done this!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
Leadfoot1

Haha! Cool!

Yeah.... dont mind the wood and mud flaps stuff LOL!! Had to rig up somtin to bring truck back when i sold the bed i delivered it to the buyer and we did a quicky fix to hit the road and come back. Its still righed up like that in storage for now. Ill do the bed so no sense in breaking my head.