The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
PCHRODS

Autocrossing your chevy truck....who wants to?

Hey everybody! As some of you may know we've been racing the wheels off our 69 C10 at several events this year with huge success!!! Our whole ]motive for doing this is not only to have a frickin blast, but to try and get other truck owners involved as well. We have participated in over 15 events this year alone with several 2nd place finishes, a 1 st place finish in the TRUCKIN' Magazine "throwdown" on stands now, and a 26th place finish at the optima ultimate street car invitational, out of 52 cars. So it is possible with a truck. I have seen a a few new trucks pop up here and there, but I'm a little disappointed, we build these bad ass trucks, but for what? Trailer to shows for everyone to see, cmon people let's take them out and use them!! That's what we built them for right?! We could have built a camaro or a mustang but we didnt we built a truck because it's in our blood! Our trucks can out run camaros and mustangs all day long, I know I've been doing it and knocking people off their feet because our truck weighed in at 4280 lbs without me in it! If you are interested in trying some racing of a new caliber let me know I would love to see some more truck participation!! Email me if you want some more info on when and where the best events are or if you want to know the best suspension set ups and combos!!

Rob Phillips 69 pro-touring c10
Rob@pchrods.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by PCHRODS; 11-25-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: All mistakes blamed on iPhone
PCHRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
SactoJim

Re: Autocrossing your chevy truck....who wants to?

Well I'm interested. Just picked up my new project, though it may be awhile before I start on it and get it to where I'm happy with it, nothing wrong with starting to map out the direction I wanna go. It will be a short box and LS power with auto or manual. Want the nostalgic looking truck with a drop similar to my Blue 72 with probably 18's all the way around. I want it to also be a comfortable driver that won't jar your fillings out of your head. There's a great thread on handling in the suspension section that has lots of good info. I'd love to be able to drop the coin for the new Hotchkis kit, but not sure that will be a reality.......what's the best "bang for your buck" to get this thing to handle as well as it can?
Attached Images

- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I'd love to know what you invested in your truck to get it to do what it does.

Last edited by Zoomin; 11-23-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

these things are sweet! i watched a few 6772 at GG

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
1971 GMC SHORTY

sweet truck
1971 GMC SHORTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Bennett68C10

I'm interested as well. My intent is to build my project with my limited funds so I could Autocross it. Just like SactoJim I too can't afford the Hotchkis suspension. I do plan on running their front/rear sway bars with my 5/7 mix match drop I have. For brakes I have the McGaughys 13" big brake kit for the front but will be running drums in the rear for now. I just want to get out there and try it out and have some fun but my truck is far from finished so in a couple of years i will give it a try. I live in NJ and i think Englishtown Raceway Park has Autocross. I'm on the fence with rims and tires as I would like to run 20's with some sticky tires but i'm guessing 18's would prob be better for autocrossing. Nice job on placing first in the Truckin throwdown, I just got the magazine. You have a beautiful truck and I can only hope that someday mine can look and compete at the level yours does.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
PCHRODS

Zoomin-

That's a good question! Now keep in mind we "finished" the truck in 2007 as a show truck cruiser, to make it race worthy you could easily do it in steps or drop all the pennies at once, but not everyone is open to that option so here is what we did to make it handle like a slot car!

- Hotchkis TVS $5500
- Afco dbl adj shocks $1200 optional TVS kit comes with shocks
- AGR quick ratio box $400
- kuhmo xs tires $ 1000

Now on an entry level basis I would start with hotchkis springs and swaybars obviously the whole kit is the best way to go. We have tried just about every worthy suspension component out there and there is some stuff that sort of works but hotchkis nailed it. They weren't the first to market with a suspension for c10's but they definitely are the best. 2nd add-on would be tires a suspension is no good without tires to keep it planted, then the gear box would be third. Now with all that handled and the truck rocketing around cones and apexes, now you need to be able to stop, brakes are just as important as everything I listed above.

Hope this helps! I will work on a more detailed list for you guys this was just of the top of my head!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
Bennett68C10

I have what probably is a dumb question about tires. How wide would you say the tires need to be front/rear. Is wider always better? Also what aspect ratio would be best, 35 series, 40 series, 45 series..... Sorry i'm a newb when it comes to this but i'm really interested.

66 Suburban

Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
PCHRODS

We run a 345/30/19 (13.5" wide) out back and a 285/35/19(11" wide) up front wider is helpful but if you go to wide you need some horsepower to move them otherwise te truck will push instead of follow your lead! A 305/30 or 305/ 35 seems to be a good fitment without a custom wheel. And a 275 or 285 is a good front. You dont want to go to tall on the side wall or you can "roll" the tire on to the sidewalk while cornering which is not ideal. Equals less tire tread surface on the ground which results in some nasty understeer!! Try and stay in the 35 to 30 series tires for handling!! A tire with a 180 or greater tread wear rating is requires at most events some are 200 or higher. We run the kuhmo's at goodguys events and a Pirelli pzero at events requiring a 200 TW or higher. Go with a 200 TW rating such as a nitto or fallen tire they are cheaper than the pirellis and an awesome blend of race/ street tires!

Hope that helped with your tire question!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by PCHRODS; 11-23-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Bennett68C10

Thankyou for the info it helps out a lot

66 Suburban

Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
barryvanhook

I'd love to see SactoJim's truck running an autocross with the tool box and rack intact!! How cool would that be??
Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
Ackattack

A few years ago I did some autocross racing in my trans am/formula/corvette and I build my 68 as a multipurpose "pro touring" rig, so you betcha I'm gonna get out there and kill some cones. I still have some bugs to iron out, but I will be out there some time.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
yob2kanobe

Sounds interesting. You got any pics of that bad boy PCHRODS?
yob2kanobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
68Stepbed

Rob, what kind of trailing arms are you using? I noticed the Hotchkis kit doesn't include them. It also seems that they have two panhard rods. Why two?

I'd love to do some AC with my truck. I drive alot of the windy, curvy roads in this part of the country, and it handles really well. It would be fun to see what it can do on a flat track. Other than GG events, I don't really know of anywhere else in this area doing anything like it.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Have you thought about changing out your seats? I like my stock buckets for looks too... but Im considering aftermarket performance seats for better latteral support.
As a side note, do the Hotchkis lower control arms require a different shock? I dont want to ditch my Alston double adjustables...
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
PCHRODS

Ok I'm gonna answer te last 4 questions here:
Trailing arms are early classic enterprises they are square tubing instead of the weak stock ones. $300
The double pan hard bar improves roll center, a single bar still allows te diff to move side to side under compression and rebound theirs eliminates that
Seats: we went with cobra "daytona" seats, these run about $550 ea, but if you want to stay put in the seat thus is a must!! We also designed a harness bar that bolts in for these trucks to allow the use of a 5 point harness, to also keep you stuck in the seat so you can concentrate on driving rather than holding on!
On shocks: the Hotchkis kit uses a shock relocation bracket to correct the angle of the shock in a lowered application so it can perform to it's full potential. Which moves the upper mount about 1.5"-2" upward. If your shock is long enough this shouldn't hinder a problem.

I will try and get some pics up over the holidays you guys can see the truck in action and some suspension and interior shots as well!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by PCHRODS; 11-24-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Posted from an iPhone with a mind of it's own when it comes to spelling!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
barryvanhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Other than GG events, I don't really know of anywhere else in this area doing anything like it.
Check with any nearby SCCA groups or sports car clubs (MG, Triumph, etc.) ... they often are involved in autocross or solo events.

Barry
Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
Check with any nearby SCCA groups or sports car clubs (MG, Triumph, etc.) ... they often are involved in autocross or solo events.

Barry
I've done some checking around, but all I can come up with is road courses at Road Atlanta and somehwere in Virginia. Road courses would be fun, but my truck wouldn't do well at all at something like that.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I plan on killing some cones with mine someday....got to get it back on the road 1st tho.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
PCHRODS

I seen alot if comments regarding the price of the hotchkis kit. Yes $5500 may seem like alot to drop at one time. All I can say is that it's worth every penny if you want an unmatched ride and handling!! I looked at it like this, when I was building our 69 in 2007, as most if you may know there are a ton of companies out there offering different suspension components with only one thing in mind.....ride height. By the time you mix and match all the right pieces to build a suspension package of your own out of everyone elses nic nacs, you spend $2500-4000. But half the time you don't realize it because it's spread out over time and through several different vendors. Hotchkis has over 3 years in testing and development in a suspension that covers all the bases!! Ride height, ride quality, and most importantly handling. Trust me I was in the same boat many of you are with "holy crap, $5500?!?" then I got to see all the pieces and drive their test truck. One drive in their 68 c10 and the first words out if my mouth were, "when can I get one???" if you have to save up for a year to buy one.....all I can say is do it!! You won't be dissappointed!! If anyone is in the los angeles area and wants to take it for a test spin, keys are yours, if you really want to see what a squaking about! Or if you are at an autocross and want to ride shotgun on the course don't hesitate to ask me for a ride!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
OhOneWS6

Your missing the closing "]" on your [/IMG] tag in your first post. Looks like it got moved in front of the word "motive"

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 11-25-2010 at 02:15 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
PCHRODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
Your missing the closing "]" on your [/IMG] tag in your first post. Looks like it got moved in front of the word "motive"

Thanks for fixing that for me, not sure why it did that.....stupid iPhone!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #23
Bennett68C10

I would love to use the hotchkis kit but i already have all my suspension pieces in boxes waiting to go onto my frame. I'll have to use what I have for now until oneday I have the money to throw down on the complete hotchkis kit. Believe me I drool over that kit all the time. I will be using their sway bars though. After my truck is done i can start purchasing one piece at a time from that kit until i have the complete kit.

Hey rob if you ever bring that beast to Jersey I would love to go for a ride in it.

66 Suburban

Old 11-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Man I miss taking something out to kill cones. My little 75 MGB was a blast and easily ran better times than all the muscle cars
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #25
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Looks like fun! You have any videos of the beast in action?
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote