The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #426
kdad

Re: Johns 66

BONDO makes a filler that has "Metal" in it...

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #427
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Wow...can't believe they put metal shavings in the bondo. That is underhanded for sure! You will get her fixed up, but it is disappointing I am sure.
Yeah...kinda hoped it wouldnt be bondo filled but should have known with all the other bondo and swiss cheese I found...BUT this is for sure the last piece that can have bondo since everything else has been fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Dadgum, that sucks on the tailgate. Think on the positive though, the rest of it is looking great!
As they say Christian...Its a truck and while I really do love her, I know I have something far better than everything else in this world waiting on me.....Glory!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
magnets stick through bondo if the bondo is less then 1/4" thick.

Old wives tale using magnets to find body filler.

The one caveat of that is to use those flexible magnetic labels/stickers that have the rubberized magnet on them. those will not stick to even a skim coat of body filler.
That's is great advice and I really appreciate it a lot. Yeah I think old wives tales do come up from time to time. Just never really thought someone would be so dishonest as to put metal shavings in the filler to mask it.
I remember when the guy told me to stick the magnet anywhere I like ...and of course I did and of course it stuck.

My Cab corners, one rocker was completely made out of bondo...but no worries now that has all been replaced with true metal. Just a lil time and money as they say. No just gotta find a good tailgate is all.

I guess the best way to buy these old trucks is to get a patined one like Christians where you can actually see everything and not hidden by bondo, silicone, license plates or undercoating...Live and Learn.

But still love her dearly..LOL

On a side note I did talk with someone this morning, Ricky Howard from Alex City, Al about doing my interior work. Seemed like a real nice young man.....His shop is called Built By Ricky...he does outstanding work...so Im gonna go meet with him next Monday and talk interior.....excited about that.
2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 03-08-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #428
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
BONDO makes a filler that has "Metal" in it...
I did not know that.....Makes sense now why I found all that. Thanks for the info Scott
2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #429
Johns 66

Well went to the ole mail box a lil bit ago and look what was in the mailbox.
A glovebox lock from Winston(Pimpston) with the original key.....Best part was the price....Winston was nice enough to send it to me for nothing....See there ARE good people in the world.
Thanks so much Winston, I really appreciate it a lot.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #430
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
As they say Christian...Its a truck and while I really do love her, I know I have something far better than everything else in this world waiting on me.....Glory!!!!

I guess the best way to buy these old trucks is to get a patined one like Christians where you can actually see everything and not hidden by bondo, silicone, license plates or undercoating...Live and Learn.
Yup! We can still have fun working on these old trucks as long as we are doing it for the glory of God and not our own

Now on the patina thing... My truck has plenty of bondo, fiberglass, and galvanized sheet metal repairs hidden under crappy primer jobs and the rubber floor mat. That's what happens when she lived on a farm most her life and the PO just needed her to work rather than look nice

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #431
Johns 66

Quote:
Yup! We can still have fun working on these old trucks as long as we are doing it for the glory of God and not our own

Now on the patina thing... My truck has plenty of bondo, fiberglass, and galvanized sheet metal repairs hidden under crappy primer jobs and the rubber floor mat. That's what happens when she lived on a farm most her life and the PO just needed her to work rather than look nice
So very true....But as always things always get taken care of...Just like today I went to Walmart and lo and behold tailgate problems solved.....who would have thunk it...lol

a 2x4, 2x6 and 2x12 and Im there...lol

CUSTOM!!!!
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #432
cwcarpenter98

that's great! Even has the bed rails to match

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #433
Johns 66

And So....It Begins....Im gonna post this today and probably be a few days before I post anything else.

I started today by adjusting the doors...the drivers side wouldn't stay shut and the passenger side wouldn't open....I adjusted the strike plates and got it pretty good without weather stripping on them. Had to take the latch mechanism out of the drivers side door because the spring that makes the striker stay put wasn't attached back ...which is why it wouldn't stay closed...luckily it was still there...so got he doors opening and closing correctly....but found another issue which I will describe later in future post....when I calm down....

I did try the sandblast water attachment but gotta get with Scott to see how he did his...mine worked great for about 2 ft on the frame then quit sucking sand

So I started sanding and figured I would start on the biggest piece...the hood...pretty much everything else I had touch with a D/A. I tried to block sand with 80 grit but wasn't getting anywhere at all.....So I got the ole Dewalt 6 in orbital sander out and went to town.

Evidentially I have a Patriotic Hood......Because under the white was red, then red oxide primer, then Blue some kind of orange looking color then and finally some black looking primer best I can tell.

So me being me...I sanded and sanded and sanded some more. I got the two outside sections of the hood sanded down to metal...figured 6 layers of paint was too much to put epoxy, then high build then, color and clear...So Im gonna sand the hood down to metal. Of course I did find some bondo but was able to feel from the back side and it was more or less just dings that had been fixed...not 1/2 like the tailgate..

So with exception of the Doors that are NOS I am gonna sand her ALL the way down to metal...seems my truck is more Franken Truck than Franken Truck with parts from who knows what years...all I can be assured is the are original sheetmetal from 60-66.

I know this is gonna take some time and effort but at least I know when I put color on her that it wont be 7 layers deep.....I am not looking forward to the underside of the hood..lol….may see if the ole oven cleaner trick will work.

I will say this...besides interior she will not be going any other place to have anything else done to her
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 03-10-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:02 AM   #434
cwcarpenter98

Dadgum man, that's a lot of sanding

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #435
Cohi

This is a great build thread
'66 C10 on GSI Bagged Chassis - in progress
'12 FLHR
'11 Custom Homebuilt Chop/Softail
Cohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #436
Mack B

Enjoying following along. Did you get your transmission issue sorted?
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #437
Johns 66

Quote:
Dadgum man, that's a lot of sanding
Yes Sir Christian...But all it cost me is time..LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohi View Post
This is a great build thread
Thank you so much!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
Enjoying following along. Did you get your transmission issue sorted?
Mack....Tranny is coming out in the next few days...Randy wants to check it to make sure he didn't do anything wrong so he is gonna tear it down...Once he gets it back together then we will put the 2800 to 3200 Stall in it and see if that fixes the issue.

If it doesn't then I will take it to the shop that built the motor and they can make it run...personally I think its out of time...I think the cam is one tooth off.....but we will see.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #438
straight6chevyguy

Well for some reason I'm not receiving my email notifications some or all of the time so I have not read any new posts from march 7 to today in this thread until today.???

Anyway John Sorry about the tailgate but glad you got the truck back and getting some work done on her.
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #439
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
Well for some reason I'm not receiving my email notifications some or all of the time so I have not read any new posts from march 7 to today in this thread until today.???

Anyway John Sorry about the tailgate but glad you got the truck back and getting some work done on her.
Thanks so much....Its pretty much been sand sand sand the last couple of days.....I have the topside of the hood, drivers fender, top part of the grill support, drivers side cowl, drivers side door jamb, half the back of the cab and half the roof sanded down to metal.

The underside of the hood is currently sitting in oven cleaner and will let it sit for a day or so before I spray it off and see whats left.

Also got some filler spread in a couple of low places I saw while sanding.

I don't want to jinx myself but I have only found about 4 spots with bondo on the and 2 of them are in the back of the cab.

Once I take everything apart then I will get the edges ...Just gotta maximize my space since the truck and hood take up so much space. So once the hood is cleaned and sanded down Ill put some epoxy primer on it and then put it back on the truck then take off the front clip.

Im just going to put epoxy on most things then block it down, put fiiller where needed and try to get it pretty straight, the epoxy again and 2 coats of high build and then start the final blocking steps...190, 220 and 320...So hopefully I don't miss to many spots...lol
2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #440
Johns 66

Little Update....Still sanding and sanding and sanding. The underside of the hood has the second round of oven cleaner on it and should be free of paint this round. Will get it cleaned up and ready to epoxy. All has been sanded down to metal except the passenger side door jamb and passenger front fender and the window flanges for the windshield and back glass.

I will wait to start on the inside after everything is in epoxy.

ALSO decided to get ole girl a Big Brother. Its a GMC AT4 double cab...has the 5.3L...almost went with the 6.2l but the 5.3 is just fine. I like the 2in factory lift and the more aggressive tires, didn't need a crewcab and this was 3k cheaper than the crew...feels like a truck. Did a muffler delete today and had the windows tinted ( Not in this pic) Will be getting a hard folding tonneau cover and vent visors as soon as they come in.....seems like they are on backorder now but no worries...I still have plenty of sanding to do...lol
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #441
roll_the_dice

Congratulations....Looking good John...was patiently waiting for pictures of the new truck!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #442
straight6chevyguy

Looks good John.
Thumbs up on the muffler delete!
How does it sound? To loud to quiet or just right?
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #443
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
Looks good John.
Thumbs up on the muffler delete!
How does it sound? To loud to quiet or just right?
It sounds really good. doesn't have any drone when cruising around. when you mash on it you can hear it but when cruising I can honestly hear the tires more than the exhaust. Best part was it cost me a whole 30.00. The GM system was 1595.00 plus installation and IMO doesn't sound this good. Not too loud just enough that you know its a truck.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #444
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Congratulations....Looking good John...was patiently waiting for pictures of the new truck!
I love this truck and the tailgate is an amazing piece of engineering.....Ive almost got a 1000 miles on her, 500 from the drive home but honestly think this is one of the better GM trucks I have bought....besides my favorite ole girl.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #445
64RELIC

Funny to think of the 66' coming home from the dealer and getting it's first 1000 miles.
64RELIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #446
Johns 66

Been a couple of weeks since I posted some updates on ole girl....I have the passenger side door jamb, cowl piece and grill support left and she will be completely down to metal. I have started spreading some filler and sanding it down as you can see.

Also bought some POR 15 in a spray can and POR 15 undercoating. Got the bed wheel wells under coated and POR 15 the underside of the hood....I will scuff it up and get some epoxy on it but wanted to get the underside, especially the edge/lip of the hood. Once I get it sat back down on the bench I will spray POR 15 where the hood latch goes. Still trying to decide what color to paint the front hood openings...Body color or black.

Plan on getting all this , except the cab in epoxy before the end of the week if the weather holds out.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #447
Johns 66

a few more. Still have a few hard to get areas on the door jambs that I need to get but am waiting on that till I get the glass out and sand the glass lip.

I guess the good thing so far is besides a few minor dings that had been filled with filler its not too bad. I did find 3 very small pin holes on the hood lip...I coated them with POR 15 and gonna use some filler and smooth out the underside of the lip but gonna do that after epoxy is on.

Once I have everything in epoxy then I will pit it back together and get things lined up and do panel to panel body work...My hopes are that it comes out looking good.

My poor little die grinder gave out so had to get another and a WHOLE bunch more 2" scotch brite pads for it....but it does the trick for sure
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 03-25-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #448
roll_the_dice

You have been BUSY! Everything is starting to take shape...lots of work, but will be worth it in the end.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #449
pdxhall

Nice work John.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #450
Johns 66

Thanks Andy!!

They say that you should learn something new everyday...well in todays episode of "Not a Show Truck/Rust Free Truck" I learned a couple of things...The spray gun I bought was worth every penny and secondly that I have a ways to go on learning how to do body work..lol

I got the hood, hood braces, rear fender wells, both fenders, and both cowl pieces in 2 coats of epoxy primer today....it laid down smooth which I was really pleased with.. I can tell that the rear fenders will need some more sanding to make them look like they should, saw some edges and wasn't too my liking. I did see 2 high spots and 3 low spots on the hood while I was priming so I know I will have a little bit to do on that as well.

After that I started smearing filler on the cab, specifically the cab corners and I "Think" I have them ready for some primer...so the back of the cab should be ready for primer.

Not sure if I started something that Im gonna regret but I also spread some filler on the passenger rocker panel and door jamb. It wasn't replaced and had some dings, plus spot welds etc....and I decided to spread some on the inside lip where the cab fold over to the door jamb. I think it will look good once done...just a lot of sanding..lol.

It will take a couple of posts to get the pics.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4