The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Kevin Mac

Hose clamp vs spring clamp

I pulled hot water valve to heater core last night and going to put it back in tonight. I was wanting to change over to some type of spring clamp instead of screw type clamp and was wanting to know what experience people have had good or bad. what type clamp ect. I know most modern cars have used them.
Thanks Mac
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Hose clamp vs spring clamp

The spring clamps in use today are called "constant tension" clamps. They will self-tighten over time as the hose changes shape and size. We have vehicles that will go 200k miles without requiring clamp or hose replacement, in part due to the type of clamp. For many years one of our "old school" technicians insisted on throwing out the spring clamps for worm clamps. It took several months of my interrupting his work, dragging him out on road calls for coolant leaks due to reduced tension by the worm clamp, for him to decide that constant tension clamps have their place.

There are special pliers available for expanding constant tension clamps and I recommend investing in a set if you decide to use the new clamps. This set is very handy and has worked for me for most situations. This pair is a little more complex but it is very helpful if the clamp is hidden.

Also, there are some very effective heat shrink clamps. If you are not expecting to remove the hoses any time soon these clamps shrink onto a hose so tightly that the hose has to be cut to remove them.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
I pulled hot water valve to heater core last night and going to put it back in tonight. I was wanting to change over to some type of spring clamp instead of screw type clamp and was wanting to know what experience people have had good or bad. what type clamp ect. I know most modern cars have used them.
Thanks Mac
I have used all types of clamps including the spring clamp. When I was a tech I would toss them and use a worm clamp as it was easier to install, but as of late I have been using the spring clamps as they do offer good consistent clamping force. I think placement is key, remember that you may have to remove them in the future and keep them accessible.

I have also used heat shrink style clamps. Biggest issue was when removing them the hose can get damaged and require replacement.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
dsraven

when doing repairs it is also important to check the inside of the hose for corrosion build up that is stuck to the inside of the hose as well as checking the connection it fits against for the same. I have seen a lot of leaks from guys who just repaired something but didn't check these spots. mostly guys I have worked with in shops over the years thought the spring clamps were used because they were easy to install on the assembly line. they would get chucked at repair time. the spring clamps work well and I use them but usually replace them when doing a repair because I usually feel they have lost some of their tension when being removed. I have a tendency to "over open" them. lol. extremist.
I also have the same set of clamp pliers, both types as well as a third type. no pic as I am away from my tool box right now.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Kevin Mac

Thank you all, I bought some and going to install tonight. I will check the hoses as well. I feel better after hearing about your experience with the tension clamps.
Mac
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
MiraclePieCo

I've started using spring clamps on inaccessible places where I won't be able to retighten standard hose clamps in the future.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm gonna give the heat shrink clamps a shot on mine...I've got a buddy that's been using them and he loves them...makes for a clean install....they do make a tool that will remove them with no hose damage...downside is the clamps are one time use....so I'll keep a couple "real" clamps in my go bag just for in case though...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
Kevin Mac

I like the looks if the heat shrink for sure. My problem was the heater valve was leaking through and overpowering the A/C at highway speeds. I emailed Vintage Air and the valve was in backwards, but it still would not close completely. I took it apart and it you could get it the "sweet" spot and feel as it would shut good. I was using air to check for blow by. I took apart the controller and moved the shaft a tooth to hopefully make it stop in the full off position. When I hooked it back to power no matter what tooth it was on it would find its home position which was just a fraction open. Sooo what I did was turn the controller off to the side just a bit and drilled New mounting holes to fool it ha ha. We will see if it works if it will ever get hot.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
1project2many

That valve is available through aftermarket vendors. We use them in our fleet of school buses. NAPA is one chain we buy through.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Kevin Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
That valve is available through aftermarket vendors. We use them in our fleet of school buses. NAPA is one chain we buy through.
Thanks for the heads up, Figured I would have to order from VA.
Mac
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #11
1project2many

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-Delc...ss!03103!US!-1