The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
phillipm

78 2wd Blazer - LS Swap and more..

We bought this 78 2wd Blazer about 6 months ago and have decided to take it on the 2016 Hot Rod Power Tour. So, in the last couple months we've been working on this truck that we pulled out of a garage in Pamona, CA. It had been sitting there for 16 years on jack-stands. Truck was originally from AZ and taken over to CA in the late 80s. Original color was I believe Russet? That copper brown color. Plan for the truck is to do a 2009 6.0 LY6 and 6L90E swap from a Silverado. New interior and a nice vinyl wrap on the outside. Suspension wise it already had a flip kit in the rear when we purchased it and just cut coils in the front. We've repaired the front with 2.5" drop spindles as well as drop springs. Here are some pictures.

Here is the first time it had been on the ground in a very long time. When we arrived the rear brakes were apart as the PO didn't know how to put them back together. While my Dad did that I prepared the trailer and put the wheels and tires that we brought with us on the front.

First thing we did when we got it back to the shop was, well, have a beer. Second thing was to see if we could get the SBC running. PO said he tried and tried with no luck. After about 10 seconds of cranking, my Dad noticed the HEI wire was off. Plugged it in and bam. Fired right up.

While we waited on the new LY6 to arrive. I decided to get started on the fuel tank. This isn't our first go around with LS power or with EFI by any means so we already knew the fuel system was no where to skimp. After doing some measuring and a little double checking. We found out that the 2005 Express van with a 6.0L's fuel module was the exact height we needed for the larger 31 gallon blazer replacement tank that came with the truck. Good thing because whoever had put this tank in just swapped the sending unit from the original and the pickup tube was about 4" off the floor of the tank. That wouldn't have worked very well. Haha.

Hole saw I used is from Home Depot in the electrical isle. Perfect 6.375" diameter needed for the late model GM fuel module ring I got from Carl @ Vaporworx.

Last edited by phillipm; 09-21-2017 at 12:31 PM.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote