The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
cgster

Bonded Title - Texas

I had to get a bonded title on my truck when I purchased it 3 years ago. Now, since the bond is up after 3 years I went down to local tax/registration office to apply for a clean/unbonded title. I was told I had to go to the regional DMV office and request bond to be removed and then had to wait for 48 hours.

Has anyone been through this process before that lives in Texas? I figured it would just drop off of the title automatically after 3 years without additional steps. Thanks.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
73kay

Re: Bonded Title - Texas

Talk to Terri. She used to work for the TX DMV and takes all the hassle out of it. I'm sure she can help. Please report back your findings, because I have bonded titles on my 53 and 69. The 53 bond "should" fall off in a few months.

Here is her website:
http://www.autotitlerecovery.com

1953 3100 292 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73kay View Post
Talk to Terri. She used to work for the TX DMV and takes all the hassle out of it. I'm sure she can help. Please report back your findings, because I have bonded titles on my 53 and 69. The 53 bond "should" fall off in a few months.

Here is her website:
http://www.autotitlerecovery.com
I did talk to Terri, she was very helpful.
Anyway, once your 3 year bond has expired (the date on your actual bond is a little different than the date the DMV willl show, mine was about 2 weeks different). My bond expired 9/21/18, DMV shows it expired 10/2/18 so I had to wait until 10/2/18.
On 10/2/18 I called my TxDMV Regional Service Center and asked them to remove the "Bonded Remark" off of my title, they asked for my Vin# and my name to get it removed. I went the next day and picked up a certified copy for $5.45. I could have went to local county registration office and gotten an Original title but it would have cost $33 and taken about 2 weeks to come in the mail. The certified copy is as good as the original and serves the same purpose. Hope that helps.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
txbill

I live in texas and haven't heard of this. what is the reason for a bonded title?
bill
txbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
73kay

Glad that worked out for you.

1953 3100 292 T5
Old 10-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
73kay

Bill,

if you lose a title or buy a vehicle without a title, you have to apply for a bonded title to get legal recognition that you do in fact have a legitimate claim to the vehicle. Its a 3 year process for the bond part to fall off.

1953 3100 292 T5
Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
franken

Once the bond time expires you don't need to do anything. When you sell, the new owner get's a new title. I've done it in TX.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
cornerstone

This thread is a help to me too! I've wondered how this process works myself. Thank you.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgster View Post
The certified copy is as good as the original and serves the same purpose.
From a legal perspective, that is true. From a "what will the next potential buyer think if I ever sell this truck?" perspective - I'd submit that some won't consider buying because they won't know it's good to go legally and won't want to take the time to learn what you've just been so kind to teach us (thanks by the way, I live in TX too and was unaware of this process). $33 and 2 weeks seems money and time well spent just in case you ever decide to sell. Thanks again for explaining this process, much appreciated.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
Bigdav160

How much are the bonds and how do you find people that issue them?

edit: I thought I read on the form for bonded title that it had to be a complete car with engine and not just a body.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
franken

No need for an engine. My now sold Chevelle had no engine and when I sold it w/ the bonded title and the buyer didn't bat an eye.
Bond cost is based on the estimated value of the vehicle. Insurance companies sell bonds.
The TX DMV defines the bonded title process. See their website for info.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #12
Roady’s truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbill View Post
I live in texas and haven't heard of this. what is the reason for a bonded title?
bill
If you buy a vehicle with out a title and are unable to acquire a new copy, it allows you a way to get a new title for that vehicle.

I bought a 67 Elcomino in Oklahoma with no title and will be registering it in Texas. This will require a bonded title and should be easy with good documentation from owner.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
No need for an engine. My now sold Chevelle had no engine and when I sold it w/ the bonded title and the buyer didn't bat an eye.
Bond cost is based on the estimated value of the vehicle. Insurance companies sell bonds.
The TX DMV defines the bonded title process. See their website for info.
Yep., looked it up on the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle webpage:

Quote:
The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor
Since there's no one from the State inspecting it .............

Oh wait:

Quote:
If the applicant is a Texas resident, but the evidence indicates that the vehicle is an out of state vehicle, the vehicle identification number must be verified by a Texas certified Safety Inspection Station. Additionally, if the vehicle has never been titled or registered in Texas then a vehicle identification number inspection is required from an auto theft investigator on the Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68-A). Inquire with local law enforcement agencies such as the police department or sheriff’s office to determine when and where your local law enforcement offers these inspections. Upon completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer will provide you with a Form VTR-68-A.
Doesn't sound like it's always a cut and dry process.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote