The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
71super402

How to Attach Glove Box Applique with Aluminum Trim

Hey guys I need suggestions on how to attach my new glove box door cover. It's the aluminum piece with the wood applique. I have taken off the old one and it seems they used some sort of very thick glue and it's all over the metal door. I know I need to get the old glue off but what would you suggest to use to re-apply the new piece? Thanks!
71super402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
sick472

Re: How to Attach Glove Box Applique with Aluminum Trim

A few options are Craft Spray Adhesive (3M is the best I have used), thin double sided foam tape (3M for sure here), and down and dirty...some caulk silicone. Silicone holds replacement side mirrors on very well, but the double sided tape has the highest vote in my opinion.

And, make sure you get the old glue off if using the spray adhesive or tape. The silicone would prefer to be a nice thin layer too, but would be more forgiving if not. Either way the install will look much better without the old goo keeping if from being nice and flush and flat.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
71super402

Thanks man I never thought of the double sided tape. I think that is the way I will go. Much appreciated!
71super402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
best view

Let me know how you make out doing this
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

You can use regular contact cement glue. Scuff up both contact sides, lay door flat, apply glue liberally on door surface. Set plaque, do not disturb, let dry overnight.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #6
PbFut

I assume you are referring to the trim part found on ebay. I just did an application a few weeks ago. I was not keen on the idea of contact cement as it is a one shot deal. Given the trim will look really bad if crooked and removing would likely bend your nice new part, I thought silicon might work. So far I am extremely happy with the result.
Don't remove plastic protection film till you are done. Make sure none of the film is under the edge. I applied clear silicon moderately around the edge
of the trim with reasonable distance so as not to squish out and require cleaning after install. Inside the perimeter bead of silicon, I applied more to mimic that of a tile trowel when you do thin set. You don't need thick snakes of silicon. Lots of clamps. Enough to hold the trim down tight at every part of the perimeter. Be careful not to bugger up the trim wood film. I am glad I used the silicon. The trim piece needed ever so slight of an adjustment while placing. Use the button to help align and snug down button assembly to hold in place. Apply claps carefully. Plastic film helps protect the wood film. Let silicon cure minimum of 24 hours. I gave it 48. No edge lifting, no mess and perfectly straight. Truck has been in some warmer days and no lifting or any sign the silicon is not holding. Its only been a few weeks and summer is coming. Time will tell if heat will be an issue. Silicon has such a high heat tolerance and the part so light, I think it will hold well.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive. I'd think the thickness of the double sided tape would not allow the applique to lay flat against the glovebox. Why not do as the factory did and use an adhesive?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote