The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
67ChevNut

Starting problem, wire smoke

Tried to start my 69 today only to find out there was no cranking sound. Did notice a burnt odor from a wire connected to my positive battery terminal, this wire comes from a small junction terminal attached to the fender right next to the battery, it got real hot and smoke was coming out of it. I replaced the battery next, I suspected it didn't have the correct charge. However the same thing happened again. What could it be? Starter problem? Where should I start to find the cause of the problem?
67ChevNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
firedemon

Re: Starting problem, wire smoke

that wire is the main fusible link and is supposed to burn if there is a problem . if it only burns when you try to start check your main battery cables and their connections especially the ground . then if you dont find a problem there check the purple wire to the starter then finally the starter itself . if it burns when you turn the key on but not yet in the start position theres lots more to check
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Starting problem, wire smoke

I had a similar thing happen recently. Mechanic had left the main ground cable disconnected, so all the cranking current had to go through that small cable (fusible link?). Luckily it just burned the insulation off, after I grounded the main cable all was good, just had to re-insulate that small cable.

Mine was a missing ground, sounds like yours is a missing + connection.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote