The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #26
shelby987

Re: Wow, I can't believe it worked so well!

This is just speculation, but I would assume you have a window of time during which the sea foam is still liquid and effective in softening the carbon build up. If you were to leave it in a warm engine for much more than 15 mins, I would assume that the sea foam would evaporate, and the carbon would re-solidify. I can't speak to possible negative side-effects of the extended time in the engine.

On a side note, shifty, I am pretty sure that once you put sea foam in your oil, you shouldn't drive the vehicle. When I do put it in my crankcase, I always do it after I have burned up all the sea foam/carbon I poured down the intake, then add the sea foam to the crakcase, idle for 5 mins, then change my oil, I don't think you should put much of a load on the engine with sea foam in the crankcase.
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #27
72armyswbtruck

Looks like I need to invest in some of thise seafoam stuff
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #28
nvrforgotten52

bestthing have found to clean the carbon on a carbed small block is 3/4 of a gallon of watter poored into the carb while you rev the motor to about 4 grand. steam cleans the insides. dont just go try this cuz you might frezze up the motor, it takes a little perfecting. it seriously works better than all that advertised crap. ya dont learn these kind of tricks in school i bet... haha.
nvrforgotten52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #29
Chevrolet4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby987
you can buy the stuff at any autoparts shop, its in a very plain jane white bottle with red lettering.....................
Like most othe Lucas Oil products then.....They let the product not the package do the talking......I may have to try some of their sea foam.....if I ever own a vehicle with an egr
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327

Last edited by Chevrolet4x4s; 05-07-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #30
Lemield

Based upon the recommendations in this thread, I went out and bought a can of it this weekend. Used 1/3 in my C20 big block, 1/3 in my 1949 Jeep and a bit of it in my lawnmower. Saving the rest for my snowblower. All of these items are running better since using the seafoam. The amount of smoke that was generated was quite amazing!

I'm sold on it.

Bought mine at Pep Boys...about 5 bucks for the 16oz can.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #31
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

We sell a TON of Seafoam at Advance Auto Parts, where I work. That and the Lucas oil stabilizer and small bottles of Lucas fuel treatment. Most of the time for a carbed car, pour Seafoam straight down the carb back and forth between left and right sides on the primarys. On Fuel Injected, most of the time you take the vaccuum line off of the PCV and suck it into the intake manifold through it.

The time period for sitting will give the most effective carbon breakdown without the Seafoam evaporating as stated in an earlier post. People use it in cars, lawnmowers, small engine (weedeaters and such), motorcycles and boats. Most don't talk about adding it to oil, but adding to gas and sucking down a vaccuum line is the most effective way to use it.

Unless you know what you are doing, NEVER pour water into the intake or you will Hydrolock your engine and kiss it goodbye forever. I believe our current price for Seafoam is $5.44 a can, and we sell it like crazy. And like stated above, if sucked in and let sit, it will smoke like your car is on fire, but this is normal, lol.
72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside

Last edited by ClemsonChevy; 05-09-2006 at 10:34 PM.
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #32
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby987

On a side note, shifty, I am pretty sure that once you put sea foam in your oil, you shouldn't drive the vehicle.
i dunno, it says to rev it up to burn the sea foam out. whether driving or revving, you're helping the stuff course through the system. either way - i drove the car for about 10 miles that day, then 10 miles 3 days later. since then, all oil is drained outta the car, i got new oil pan and gasket (had to, the PO's shop stripped the pan threads for plug) and it gets new oil and some lucas oil stabilizer tonight or tomorrow.

still didn't fix my random misfire/foulde fire problem. still think i have a sticky exhaust valve or maybe the injectors need replacement/cleaning. could be the ECU i suppose. it have a new dizzy/rotor/cap/wires/bosch plugs. i'll figure it out eventually

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #33
chevyboy55

I know this is an old thread but I happened across it yesterday & got to wondering about seafoam in the crankcase. I e mailed seafoam about it.Following is the text of their reply.

"Sea Foam Motor Treatment ( a 100 % petroleum oil product) is used in the crankcase of your engine at 1 1/2 ounces Sea Foam for each quart of crankcase oil capacity, either as a pre cleaner to doing an LOF service, quick oil residue problem solving or as an after service additive. SEAFOAM IS NOT A CHEMICAL!!!

As a pre service cleaner, or as a quick problem solver for sticky rings, lifters, etc., apply product and drive for a minimum of 30 minutes at normal operating temperature, up to 200 miles, then do your LOF service.

As an after service additive add the amount described above to your fresh oil.

Since sea Foam Motor treatment is a moisture drier for oil and an old residual oil residue cleaner, a regimen of monitoring the color and clarity of your fresh oil by either miles or time MUST BE PERFORMED.

Only you can determine when your next LOF service should be performed. SERVICE MAY BE NECESSARY SOONER THAN NORMAL, as Sea Foam makes any old residual oil back into liquid so contaminants may flow and be filtered. High temperatures and LOF neglect usually mean more old oil residue will be present.

Repeat adding Sea Foam to your oil system 30 minutes of drive time before doing your LOF service, and again as an after service additive (with monitoring) until you are happy with your oil change intervals."
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #34
Green Machine

Yep this is old, but I would not suck it in through the power brake hose since you will only treat half of the cylinders. Same might apply for a vacumm hose. Use the pcv or into both sides of the carb.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote