The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Nads

My W.I.P. - 68 GMC

Here is my Work In Progress (W.I.P) 1968 GMC. I picked it up at the very end of last summer and have been itching all winter to start turning wrenches. I've done a couple of small things already, like weather stripping around the doors, a new windshield and still chasing a leak that like to fill up my glove box.

This is also my first C10 project car...and first "off-script" project (built a Cobra Replica with my Dad in college) Super excited to dive in but man, there are so many options!

The paint looks ok from a distance but its a back yard spray job. Original color used to be red.
Attached Images

Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: My W.I.P. - 68 GMC

Per the glove box lake, 2 places to check are the rain gutter, the sealant could be cracked letting water get in, this is a must to keep sealed as its a bad place for the rust to start. There is a 2 part seam self leveling sealer that's used for that, 3M is one of the manufactures, i think SEM is the other

The other is looking at the windshield there is a body seam both above and below the windshield on each side, pull the hood, wipers, and then the cowl, look at that seam real close its probably dried and cracked out pretty bad, get it scraped clean and get some seal sealer and seal it up

Per the hinges try lubricating the pivot points and see if it helps before trying to to readjust the hinges.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Nads

Thanks for the tips Mike!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
flashed

Im in to see more of this one ,nice looking truck.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Nads

I have been doing a ton of research on lowering kits and options, and found the Project Blank Slate thread to be an amazing resource. I think I am going to go with Early Classic for a 2.5 inch drop spindles and disc conversion up front and the 4 inch leaf spring drop in the back.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Nads

Mike - greased up my hood hinges last night, AMAZING ! After a few open and closes of the hood I saw a drastic improvement, and it was so much easier than fighting hinge re-adjustment. THANKS!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads View Post
Mike - greased up my hood hinges last night, AMAZING ! After a few open and closes of the hood I saw a drastic improvement, and it was so much easier than fighting hinge re-adjustment. THANKS!
No problem!~ I sure liked the improvement it made on my hood opening and closing too.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Nads

So, it looks like I've got the leak that was filling my glovebox solved. Turns out it was coming into the cab from between the window and the window gasket. I got a tube of sealant from the local shop and ran a bead around the outside of the window along the window-gasket interface. Looks like this one is SOLVED!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Nads

I've been spending a bit of under the truck lately and had some help from friends. Now the back end is suspension lowering is complete...mostly. I got 4 inch lowering leafs and 1.5 inch drop shackles from Early Classic and lovin' the new look.

I learned a couple key lessons:
1. There is a front and a back of leaf springs - know which is which before installing. (measure from the middle to the front, and middle to the back of the old springs, and orient the new ones so the measurements are the same, doh!)
2. Don't bolt up to the axel before you have the the front and rear of the spring in place and bolts at least finger tight.
3. With that 1.5 inch drop shackle in place the springs will probably rub on the bed support...might want to notch it out before you get everything bolted in place.
4. Big friends with long breaker bars can indeed break free u-bolt nuts that have been in place for darn near half a century. They can also exert more torque than that cheap breaker bar off amazon can withstand ;-) and that is amazing as long as no one gets hurt.
5. A bird will always mess on your truck right before you take a progress photo.
Attached Images

"Build" thread
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Nads

I've been putting in some after work hours on the truck and getting closer with my drop spindles.
Attached Images

"Build" thread
Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Nads

So the front disc break conversion and drop was running along smoothly, and I got over to the passenger side (its supposed to be easier on the second side right?) and ran into a bit of an issue. I had the spindle installed, and started in on the break caliper but had the top bolt for the caliper running into the disc

After fussing about it for a few minutes I snapped a picture and gave the guys at Early Classic a call. Turns out it was nothing a little grinder action couldn't solve. So a couple minutes on that and I had notched out the outside edge of the spindle to give that bolt more room to clear. Then I was back in business.

It took a little arm twisting to get my wife to help bleed the brakes but all that is done now and I've been out on a couple of short cruises and lovin' the low life and my newly improved stopping ability.

Which brings me to my next issue

While cruising around I ran into an issue at about 55mph-65mph where the truck will start to loose power, then if I hold the throttle in the same place it will sort of start to rev up and down while jolting the truck about... If I let off the gas and get below 30-35mph it seems like it kinda resets then I can get back up to speed. But if I get back above the 55mph mark I run into the issue again. Seems liked it happens after the truck is warmed up and during a 30 min drive usually only happens in the second half.

I am guessing this is some kind of carb related issues but I haven't had a lot of luck finding a good resource that seems to describe my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a Holley that is stamped 80457-3 2973.

(The collage image turned out a little funny since google wont let me specify the order the photos go in. Top pic is stock height front, back dropped 5.5", bottom left is fully lowered 2.5" front and 5.5" back, and bottom right is stock all around.)
Attached Images

"Build" thread
Old 07-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
Nads

That moment when you figure out your problem is due to a clogged fuel filter, and the fix takes $5 and 5 min.

"Build" thread
Old 07-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #13
tommys72

Nice progress! Who took the pic of you and your wife bleeding the brakes

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
cornerstone

I love the trim on your GMC, the way it is a split line runnning over the wheel arches.... so cool. Mine is a 72 c10 custom and has the upper and lower trim that is straight all the way down the sides,. I like it but not as much as that...
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
Nads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
Nice progress! Who took the pic of you and your wife bleeding the brakes
Thanks Tommy. That would be my wife, she's got some skillz with that phone.

"Build" thread
Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
Nads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I love the trim on your GMC, the way it is a split line runnning over the wheel arches.... so cool. Mine is a 72 c10 custom and has the upper and lower trim that is straight all the way down the sides,. I like it but not as much as that...
Thanks!

"Build" thread
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
Nads

Spring has sprung around here. Time for some more work! 2.5" drop springs from Early Classic. Got the driver's side done and dusted last night.
Attached Images

"Build" thread
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads View Post
Thanks Tommy. That would be my wife, she's got some skillz with that phone.
LOL, she's got some "styl'n flip flops!

Looks like a nice pickup to start with!
Good job on getting disc brakes on first!, your priorities are in the right direction!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #19
Nads

Big changes this weekend! After months and months of wringing my hands over wheel size, width, tire calculators and not to mention saving, the trigger has been pulled and I stoked with the result.

Wheels are 20x8 with 4.75" backspace
Tires are 245/45 BFG Sport Comp 2s
Attached Images

"Build" thread