The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
ApacheProject

What type alternator fits factory bracket?

My generator is dead so I’m going the alternator route, is there a alternator that will fit using the same bracket or do I need to change those too? Any suggestions on what type/model alternator and bracket is appreciated
Thanks
ApacheProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: What type alternator fits factory bracket?

Without knowing what engine you have in the truck it is pretty hard to give you solid ideas. Most of us would run a 10 or 12 SI alternator with internal regulator and use the appropriate bracket.

I've mounted a couple of alternators on 235 engines using the stock generator bracket with a long bolt and a spacer but it doesn't leave much room for adjustment.

Show us what you have and we will help figure it out with a hopefully simple fix.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
ApacheProject

Sorry, forgot to mention that. It’s a factory 283 V8 with 3 speed manual trans.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
mr48chev

If the generator mounts on a bracket on the exhaust manifold you can buy an alternator bracket that bolts in the same spot for a few dollars.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
ApacheProject

Ok, any specific type or model alternator? I ordered a wire harness that supposed to work with factory generator harness. Will I need to do anything else?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
_Ogre

Help us out here. Post a picture of the bracket
If you use a 1 wire alternator, no harness needed
Just p #10 wire to the battery

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #7
ApacheProject

I don’t have a pic at the moment, the truck is kept at my shop. It’s the standard bracket used for the factory generator that mounts to the exhaust manifold. The harness I ordered uses 3 wires I think. Also not sure how many amps are needed, I do plan to add A/C and repro radio soon but other than that there’s not much. Factory headlights/signals, brake lights and horn.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #8
mr48chev

Ad far as alternator just an over the counter one at your local parts house will be fine unless you want a shiny one. A 78 Amp 10SI alternator for an 85 C 10 with air would keep up with everything you have pretty easily. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ckup-rwd?pos=2

This style of alternator bracket should bolt to your manifold if it has the tabs to bolt it on. Usually avaiable from parts houses with speed goodie catalogs. You usually have to to a bit of tweaking with the adjustment bracket though. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small...%20(Feb28_2020)

You might be able to run a long 3/8 bolt though both ends of the generator bracket and make a spacer to go between the back side of the alternator mounting piece and the back of the bracket but I have never done it on a V8. Adjustment movement may be an issue with that though.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #9
_Ogre

Of you plan to add an electric fan for the A.C. Look at a 100 amp alternator. Electric fans can over work a small alternator. Using the stock gen mount with an 10so alternator works fine, just cut the spacer long enough to jam in there

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #10
mr48chev

A 3/8 bolt about 3/4 of an inch longer than the outside with of the generator mounting bracket is all you need to figure out if the stock generator bracket will work for you with an alternator. The spacer can be cut from a piece of pipe that will slip over the bolt. That will let you decide if it will mount up right for the price of a bolt from the hardware store.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:52 AM   #11
ApacheProject

Thanks guys, I’ll try to get that alternator soon. Still waiting on the harness to come in the mail. Next will be making it work with existing gauge cluster. I know nothing about auto electrics. I searched the forum and see lots have done this in different ways. Surprised that the industry hasn’t made a kit for this yet.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
jwhotrod

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/ Makes really nice steel brackets for a reasonable cost. he is a really nice guy to deal with as well,
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #13
paulspickupparts

If you want to use a stock cast exhaust manifold the 64-66 Chevy pickups with stock V-8 mounted the alternator on the front of the exhaust manifold . There was also a brace bracket that came from the lh cylinder head that goes with this setup. I have a pic on my phone but not sure how to upload here. .
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
weim55

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
If you want to use a stock cast exhaust manifold the 64-66 Chevy pickups with stock V-8 mounted the alternator on the front of the exhaust manifold . There was also a brace bracket that came from the lh cylinder head that goes with this setup. I have a pic on my phone but not sure how to upload here. .

I second this. IF your original 283 still has the short style water pump and the cylinder heads do not have bolt holes on the ends for accessory ‘s. The 64-66 283/327 alternator bracket with the corresponding exhaust manifold gives a really clean look and the engineering of all factory components. If the cylinder heads have accessory bolt holes on the end I prefer to use 69/72 small block truck brackets(s) as it doesn’t require exhaust manifold replacement it will still work with your short style water pump and pulleys. Summit and jegs will sell A junkie aftermarket mild steel version that bolts to the exhaust(mainly designed for use with headers) but they are weak and constantly break.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #15
mr48chev

AZ59Apachee showed the exact thing you are looking for on their engine in the show your engines thread.

Bracket on the side of the manifold where the generator bolted and a 10-SI alternator.

It doesn't get any more simple than that.

The only issue is (been there done that) the range of adjustment you have.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
1project2many

Quote:
AZ59Apachee showed the exact thing you are looking for on their engine in the show your engines thread.

Bracket on the side of the manifold where the generator bolted and a 10-SI alternator.

It doesn't get any more simple than that.
I did something similar to that picture but built the brackets. The lower bracket is a C shaped piece of steel with some spacers welded to it. the upper bracket is a combination of an old factory bracket for something and some flat stock.

Quote:
The only issue is (been there done that) the range of adjustment you have.
Yes! It took a while to figure this out because I was using old pictures as a guide for making the bracket. The slotted bracket will hit the top of the alternator as the alternator rotates away from the engine. Eventually I decided that I just wasn't going to make mine look like the OE part.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #17
mr48chev

I'm thinking that this style of bracket was originally designed to bolt on the Chevy manifold before they got used on rigs with headers with the header bracket.

Half of the older guys on here probably have one in their parts stash and you can get them though any parts house that sells speed parts. I'd take my generator bracket along to make sure they match up mounting spacing hole size though. If I am not mistaken the bracket moves the mounting holes for the alternator are a bit further out than the holes on the generator bracket are. I could be wrong though.
Attached Images