The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
SARBlade

Smile '57 with '79 Camaro Clip Front Suspension Rebuild

Hey all, Just got my truck and starting to tear it down to frame, spent 2 hours cutting bolts off inside rear fenders, wow, what a bunch of rusty bolts! Anyway, ordering parts and I know there are a bunch of different suppliers of parts, but I'm in Canada, on an island and have to ship anyway, so I might as well look at one supplier that can send me everything. I want to replace/upgrade steering and front suspension components. Seeing as its a Camaro clip 75-79 (researched here to make sure what I had, awesome cudos to those posting that info to those that asked), can anyone recommend a company that can get me all the bushings, bump stops, ball joints, tie rod ends, UCL offset shafts, etc. and not be Chinese knock offs? I've look at Global West, they can get up there in expense as well. And I don't know if I want stiff bushings to translate all that road to me. I want a cruiser not a racer . Thanks
SARBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
MalibuSSwagon

Re: '57 with '79 Camaro Clip Front Suspension Rebuild

MOOG is pretty much to go to for quality OEM replacement suspension parts
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
SARBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
MOOG is pretty much to go to for quality OEM replacement suspension parts
Thanks, I looked at their website, however, it seems that they don't go for a kit per se but rather pieces, and I'd have to know what I'm looking for, individually this adds up to more cost and larger box for shipping.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
mr48chev

You may actually be better off to go to a somewhat local parts house that stocks Moog or another decent brand. The difference between shipping costs with a discount and local over the counter costs may not end up being a whole lot. I would price it out both ways at any rate. By local I mean the real parts houses that still have the parts book at the counter and not the "we don't know because it isn't in the computer" places.

Most of the "kits" come from outfits such as you mentioned.

You can get most all of the Moog parts numbers off Rock Auto. Look at their daily driver ones rather than economy or in some cases the performance ones.

You are going to need the use of a ball joint press to change the lower ball joints. That makes the job a whole lot easier than doing it without one.

I had to look Courtenay up on the map to see where you were, that is quite an interesting airport landing strip setup you have there.

If you run into something don't be afraid to ask, you are welcome to pm me if you want to as I did front end work for a number of years and can walk you through most things.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
SARBlade

Its funny that you had to google where I live, yeah, it’s a long way from anywhere! I’ll go down to my local Lordco and get them to price something out, I know a guy lol! And I do have a press thanks for that info.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
MalibuSSwagon

They don't really sell kits as they sell OEM replacement parts. The aftermarket guys sell kits since they expect you are rebuilding a vehicle, vs MOOG supplying parts to mechanics and people fixing their daily drivers and whatnot.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
dsraven

napa-rubber suspension parts like stock, not urethane-Calgary pricing-ncp is napa chassis parts. pfc is napa proformer chassis parts. nct is napa premium grade. rubber should give a stock ride. there are options here, some are better quality, some are rebuilding old parts compared to replacing with a rebuilt part.
hope this helps, its a start anyway. you may also buy a complete control arm from aftermarket and that eliminates the need to press in new bushings and replace ball joints. check the quality of the parts and ask if the replaceable parts are off the shelf for a camaro or if they are special order. like mentioned, the rubber parts will ride softer and with less noise possibly but will also not be best for performance compared to urethane. urethane does need to be lubed with synthetic grease though, unlike the rubber control arm bushings. some urethane bushings come ready for grease and some don't (some have a grease groove machined into the wear surfaces and a grease zerk). ensure you tighten the control arm bushing fasteners, if using rubber parts, when at ride height so they don't get tightened up with no load on the chassis and then with a load the angle of the control arm changes and forces the new rubber to be torn from being rotated past the normal limits.

upper control arm bushing-forward side-NCP 2671310 retails for $19.02/kit
upper control arm bushing-rearward side-NCP 2671309 retails $19.17/kit
upper control arm bushing-not specified location-PFC 12310-retails for 22.15/kit

upper control arm bumper- PFC 14203 retails for $11.69
control arm bumper- NCP 2654011 retails for $17.63

lower control arm bushing- rear lower-NCP 2674298 retails for $30.30/kit
lower control arm bushing-front lower-NCP 2673297 retails for $30.96/kit
lower control arm bushing- PFC 12297 retails for $35.00/kit
lower control arm bushing-rearward-PFC 12298 retails for $17.88/kit

upper control arm offset shaft kit-NCP 2805523 retails for $159.77

stabilizer bar link kit-std duty-NCP 2651285 retails for $24.16/kit-does both sides front
stabilizer bar link kit-hd-NCP 2653299 retails for $34.91-does both sides front
stabilizer link-premium quality-hd-NCT TXMS508179-retails for $35.70 each side-looks like plated/galvanized parts

upper ball joint- PFC 10268 retails for$27.51 ea
upper ball joint- NCP 2601091 retails for $62.59 ea greasable
upper ball joint- NCT TXK5208 retails for $62.93 ea

lower ball joint- NCP 2601130 retails for $77.10 ea greasable
lower ball joint- PFC 10277 retails for$33.22

tie rod end-right inner-PFC ES443L retails for $28.42 greasable
tie rod end-left inner-PFC ES442L retails for $28.42 greasable
tie rod end-outer-PFC ES441R retails for $24.49
tie rod end-inner right-NCP 2692334 retails for $86.27 greasable
tie rod end-outer-NCP 2692330 retails for $70.50 greasable

center link-NCP 2724087 retails for $225.86 greasable
center link-PFC DS829 retails for $84.32 greasable

idler arm-NCP 2683537 retails for $107.03 greasable
idler arm-PFC 18753 retails for $40.25 greasable

chassis lube (grease) with molybdenum for tie rods/ball joints and other parts that wear ON each other but don't have a rolling type of friction.

front shocks-KYB GR@ gas-OE replacement-KYB 343128 retails for $71.43 ea
rear shocks-KYB GR@ gas-OE replacement-KYB 343131 retails for $70.78 ea

front brake rotor-napa premium coated for rust-NDR 4885542 retails for $175.36 ea
front wheel bearing dust cap-dorman-OES 7302438 retails for $7.62
front wheel bearing-outer- UBS LM11949VP retails for $16.31 cone only-cup comes with the new brake rotor
front wheel bearing-inner-UBS LM67048VP retails for $19.52-cone only-cup comes with the new brake rotor
front wheel bearing seal-UBS 19984 retails for $5.73
wheel bearing grease with a lithium 12 base or lithium complex synthetic type such as valvoline's lithium complex red 2-source locally
wheel bearing retainer cotter pin-source locally by size or original
synthetic brake lube for caliper slides etc-PER 24127 retails for $123.66 tube (small) i recommend to lube the new rebuilt caliper slides even if they were done when you get them. ensure enough lube present.

front brake hose-NUP 36646 retails for $21.99

front brake pads-FNT PF728AX retails for $18.99-ceramic
front brake pads-FNT PF728AM retails for $18.99-semi metallic
front brake pads-FNU UP728AX retails for $76-ultra premium-ceramic
front brake pads-FQE QE728AM retails for $40.59-semi metallic
front brake pads-FNP SS728AM retails for $53.32-premium semi metallic

front brake caliper-left-rebuilt-FNP SS728AM-retails 82.01 core-$16.87
front brake caliper-right-rebuilt-ADC 2210XA retails $82.01-core $16.87
front brake caliper-left-rebuilt-PCL 2422030 retails for $73.57-core-$10.53
front brake caliper-right-rebuilt-PCL 2422031retails for $73.57-core-$10.53
above units come with caliper slide pins and pad anti rattle clips

if using/rebuilding old calipers:
caliper slide bolt-set of 2-NUP 82203W retails for $10.04
dorman caliper slide bolt with dowel and cotter pin-OES 6751536 retails for $49.80
caliper bolt sleeve set of 2-NUP 82342 retails for $5.61
front disc brake bushing kit-o rings for slide inner-NUP 82302 retails for $2.31
front disc brake bushing kit-o rings for slide outer-NUP 82303 retails for $1.26
front disc brake hardware kit-dowels, o rings, pads springs for both sides-NUP 82872A retails for $11.68
front caliper piston seal and boot kit- NUP 524 retails for $6.42 enough for one caliper
front caliper piston-NUP 85010S retails for $52.13
brake bleeder screw-front-NUP 22660 retails for $3.44

rock auto-75 camaro 5.7L
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cid+v8,1035032
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARBlade View Post
Its funny that you had to google where I live, yeah, it’s a long way from anywhere! I’ll go down to my local Lordco and get them to price something out, I know a guy lol! And I do have a press thanks for that info.
We went to Deuce days in Victoria in 2019 and really enjoyed the island.

You are a long way from the first guy on here who's home town or area I have done the search on to figure exactly where you were.

My 21 foot sailboat although being built in Marysville Wa spent the first half or more of it's life in Ladysmith.

I've gotten to where I study the total cost of getting something to my door as some times shipping costs run up the tab more than just going to town for them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
SARBlade

Thank you dsraven, WOW
I guess I'll be going to my NAPA guy here, I play hockey with him, so I hope he'll do me good! I'm the beer guy, so when we start playing again, I'll make sure he drinks for free! For what its worth, would you recommend the poly or stick to the rubber?
Old 02-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #10
SARBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
We went to Deuce days in Victoria in 2019 and really enjoyed the island.

You are a long way from the first guy on here who's home town or area I have done the search on to figure exactly where you were.

My 21 foot sailboat although being built in Marysville Wa spent the first half or more of it's life in Ladysmith.

I've gotten to where I study the total cost of getting something to my door as some times shipping costs run up the tab more than just going to town for them.
Well being in Canada and as remote as I am, there are good businesses that I source thru, but there's nothing like kicking the tires through old junkyards! I used to go with my uncle when I was 10, where I live, its hard to get into these places with all the liability issues. I'll have to cruise down to Washington and look there for parts. I'd like to find a set of rear fenders and a right side bed panel. Mine are a bit done, lol.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #11
dsraven

If you want a smooth and quiet cruiser ride then go rubber. If you wanna corner and dont mind a little harsher and possibly a little clunkier ride with some maintenance required, like living, then go urethane.urethane doesnt absorb much in the way of shock like rubber does. The trade off is that rubber moves or flexes unlike urethane. Rubber will ride like a stock vehicle. Even adding the urethane stabilizer bar bushings and links with the right set of shocks will help performance wise if you go with rubber control arm bushings.
Ask the napa guy if he can run down who the supplier is for the napa chassis parts. Usually a quality brand.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
dsraven

Sorry, auto correct changed greasing to living.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:03 PM   #13
dsraven

Do some pricing on new parts before you do a road trip. Factor in everything including fuel and ferry rides etc. Might not be far from the new part and you can use the time for something else on the truck.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:02 AM   #14
SARBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Do some pricing on new parts before you do a road trip. Factor in everything including fuel and ferry rides etc. Might not be far from the new part and you can use the time for something else on the truck.
Thanks again for all the help and your thoughts, I’ve never tackled a complete resto, seeing as I’m newly retired, I thought what the heck eh. Have a welder I’ve been itching to use and this COVID thing is driving me mad! I guess I should start a build page as well.

BTW, I was at the NAPA place yesterday to get oil for my duramax, seems like I just changed oil in it yesterday, but the guy there had a set of Energy Suspension control link bushings, stabilizer bushings and bump stops kit that some guy ordered and he willing to sell it to me for $70. I think it’s urethane tho. I’ll ask tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #15
dsraven

Energy suspension is usually urethane. Black or red.
I am also newly retired from Calgary Fire Dept. 3 weeks now.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #16
SARBlade

Quote:
Energy suspension is usually urethane. Black or red.
I am also newly retired from Calgary Fire Dept. 3 weeks now.
Congratulations on your retirement, I hope it wasn’t long overdue! I myself stopped flying in 2018, I am on the Freedom 55 plan! Not bored yet!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
dsraven

Thanks, and congrats back at you. I am far from bored more like cant find enough time to do what I want/need to.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #18
cameo

I ordered all my front end parts from RockAuto, some parts I went cheap, some more expensive, but all in all was happy with the price and parts received.
Good luck with the build.
I went with a CPP 1-1/4" front sway bar, had a bit of interference, but just made some spacers and dropped it lower.
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #19
59chev

I went with mostly Moog stuff and KYB shocks ordered from Rock Auto for my 59 with an 81 camaro clip. I used a Proforged kit for the inner, outer tie rod and drag link.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #20
dsraven

I have used a lot of front end parts over the years and used to recommend Moog as a good reliable part. lately it seems like they have been outsourced and the quality has deteriorated. maybe just me or because the parts didn't last as they usually did. anyway, I have also used the Napa premium stuff and found it to be good quality. the parts guy told me they usually put a top brand name part in their boxes with a Napa part number at a better price than the original manufacturer. unless you plan to do some hard use I am sure they would work fine especially if you "know a guy" who can get you jobber prices.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #21
SARBlade

Quote:
I have used a lot of front end parts over the years and used to recommend Moog as a good reliable part. lately it seems like they have been outsourced and the quality has deteriorated. maybe just me or because the parts didn't last as they usually did. anyway, I have also used the Napa premium stuff and found it to be good quality. the parts guy told me they usually put a top brand name part in their boxes with a Napa part number at a better price than the original manufacturer. unless you plan to do some hard use I am sure they would work fine especially if you "know a guy" who can get you jobber prices.
As a matter of fact, I do “know a guy” at my local Napa store, he’s looked into what goods you’ve already provided and will give an all in price on the stuff. BTW, I picked up a cheap 5.3 with everything, however, everything ain’t that good lol. Power steering pump, alternator and compressor are shot, so will have to replace those. I got all the wiring harness, so that will take time to unfold lol. I’m going at it slow right now, we have a border collie puppy now that demands soooo much time. Oh well, she’s a good b**ch!
Old 03-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #22
dsraven

Try ls1tech, I think they have tutorial on parsing out the harness.