The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2021, 03:12 AM   #1
the67Beast

Got The Bed Off - Gas Tank Install Next

Moving slowly, but finally got the bed off. I was expecting the frame to be rusted badly, but was pleasantly surprised at the lack of rust. I mean it still has some rust but not too bad. It looks shiny cause it was still wet from washing the dirt and mud off of it. Now time to install the new gas tank when it arrives, and springs and shock relo brackets, and rebuild the rear end.
Attached Images

the67Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
conoco

Re: Got The Bed Off - Gas Tank Install Next

How difficult was it to get the bed off? I am currently starting the process of replacing my rockers. I would like to pull the bed and undercoat it along with cleaning the frame up and painting it, I just didn't want to bite off more than I can chew.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
the67Beast

It wasn’t too difficult. I did it by myself. I built some wooden perches to attach the bed to and used hydraulic jacks to Jack it up a bit at a time. Very dangerous so use great care. When I’m ready to do the bed I’ll roll a trailer underneath it and lower it back down so I can move it around or either I’ll disassemble it where it is. I do not plan on getting under it as it sits now.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
the67Beast

Sorry my photos are sideways. I can engineer the removal of a bed, but getting a photo oriented the right way is a challenge.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by the67Beast View Post
Sorry my photos are sideways. I can engineer the removal of a bed, but getting a photo oriented the right way is a challenge.
LMAO!!! I am going to try and tackle this I think. I will be buy myself also. I do have a meat hook right under, almost centered with my bed. I use it to process moose during hunting season. I am hoping I can just use my come along and lift it up that way. With a bunch of soft straps. once I lift it up 4 or 5 inches I can just drive my truck out of the garage and then use some type of stand like the one you built.

Thanks for the response.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
the67Beast

I went up a few inches at a time on each corner. The bed is heavy and extremely awkward so it want to shift around at times. Once I had it higher enough I just rolled the truck out from under it. Please do not get under it if you block it up like mine. Would hate for it to fall on you.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
67C10Step

Who's rear mount fuel tank are you going to use?

I open my photos in Paint, make sure they are oriented correctly, and resave under another name. That is the only way I have found to make sure they insert correctly.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
the67Beast

I am going with Boyd’s Welding side fill tank. It’s expensive but high quality from what I hear.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
How difficult was it to get the bed off? I am currently starting the process of replacing my rockers. I would like to pull the bed and undercoat it along with cleaning the frame up and painting it, I just didn't want to bite off more than I can chew.
Pulling the bed itself isn't super hard. Getting to the point where you can pull it is a totally different story depending on how rusted the mounting bolts are. The truck in my avatar pic was brutal. I think I had to cut every bolt.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Pulling the bed itself isn't super hard. Getting to the point where you can pull it is a totally different story depending on how rusted the mounting bolts are. The truck in my avatar pic was brutal. I think I had to cut every bolt.
X2!!! LOL
Have taken 2 beds off in last year. Completely disassembled one bed...

THere's eight 3/8 carriage bolts holding bed to frame. THe nuts WILL come loose. BUT, and that's a BIG BUT, they will get hung up on what's left of the bolt threads below the nut. THe bed carriage bolts are not as bad as the bedside and front pan bolts are. Next time a cut off wheel will be used to remove the threads hanging below the nuts on ALL the bed bolts!!!
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
Dr Jekyll

If your using a phone, always hold the phone sideways for pics you want to upload. Or you can open them in ms paint and resave.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote