The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
lowroder

Straight pipe or cherry bombs. 6cyl

so...
I have a 62 c10. Original 235.
Looking to give it a nice sound.
I have single exhaust...
An looking to give it a little sound.
So...
Straight pipe.
Or
Glass pak ?
Thanks
lowroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
forestb

Re: Straight pipe or cherry bombs. 6cyl

Probably depends if you want to risk getting a ticket or not.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
AcampoDave

Of the 2 choices you listed, I'd go with a glasspack. A long one.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've had straight and cherry bomb...liked neither..sound cool for a little while but gets really annoying in a hurry...I've never heard a magnaflow on a 6 before...but I'd try that if it were mine
But of your 2 choices ,glasspack..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The older I get, the more I like the idea of a quiet(er) exhaust. There's already enough road noise and things going around you that more noise is just...noise. I have tinnitus from mechanic work in the engine rooms of Navy ships, drag racing with open headers, etc. All that quiet isn't bringing my hearing back, though. I vote for a stock setup, even though it wasn't offered as an option.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Steeveedee nailed it. I too wish I had thought more about my hearing. For me it was too much gasoline powered noise. My ears ring constantly. Even simple noises like bathroom fans, music, wind, and TV will make the problem flare up and the ringing becomes very loud.

Truth be told a loud exhaust really doesn't make you all that different from the crowd in an era when everybody and their mother has a loud cat back system on their daily driver anyhow.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:51 AM   #7
snafu1

Just my opinion but the straight pipes will really get annoying pretty fast and would attract attention from the Police darn near instantly! The glass packs or a cherry Bombs are really not much better, depending on which ones you get.
I know it was not an option but a split exhaust manifold or Fenton headers with the right size pipe like 2" or 2.25" with Flowmaster 40's or 44's do sound Amazing!

Snafu1
snafu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
Getter-Done

Of your 2 options ,I would pick glasspacks.

But you may get a gift from your neighbors.

Name:  muffler.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  64.4 KB

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #9
lowroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu1 View Post
Just my opinion but the straight pipes will really get annoying pretty fast and would attract attention from the Police darn near instantly! The glass packs or a cherry Bombs are really not much better, depending on which ones you get.
I know it was not an option but a split exhaust manifold or Fenton headers with the right size pipe like 2" or 2.25" with Flowmaster 40's or 44's do sound Amazing!

Snafu1
Yea i don't have the funds to go split yet.
Just trying to get some sound from a single pipe.
But that set up seems sweet
Old 02-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Steeveedee nailed it. I too wish I had thought more about my hearing. For me it was too much gasoline powered noise. My ears ring constantly. Even simple noises like bathroom fans, music, wind, and TV will make the problem flare up and the ringing becomes very loud.

Truth be told a loud exhaust really doesn't make you all that different from the crowd in an era when everybody and their mother has a loud cat back system on their daily driver anyhow.
I’ll go along with that the first thing every one does when they get a new truck is put loud exhaust on it I went to the muffler shop to price exhaust told them I wanted the quietest flomasters or magnaflow and he looked like I had two heads
Old 02-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I’ll go along with that the first thing every one does when they get a new truck is put loud exhaust on it I went to the muffler shop to price exhaust told them I wanted the quietest flomasters or magnaflow and he looked like I had two heads
I basically did the same thing...I said I wanted it to sound like a v8, but not a d-bag v8! Quieter is better these days for me for sure.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
forestb

I say if you want it loud with that poppy backfire noise go for it. Just make sure it is all legal.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
cwcarpenter98

I drove my truck to the exhaust shop after I cut the muffler off. It was fun for that little bit, but my ears did hurt a little after that 20 or so minute drive.

I chose to use a Black Widow Exhaust Venom 250. I don't hear it inside the cab unless I get on the throttle some. I can't speak for how it sounds from outside the truck as I've never had anyone else drive it without me in the cab. I've had many friends tell me that it's loud though.

The Venom 250 might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Black Widow makes several other mufflers

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #14
AcampoDave

To the OP: you should certainly get what you want be it loud or not because believe me, I get it. I loved the sound of Porter Steel-Paks as I banged thru the gears..... but now that we have kind of turned this discussion a bit toward quiet and loud, I thought I'd add something else. When I made my truck quiet, I was able to really dial in my distributor curve since I could now hear the motor pinging off the line when I lugged the clutch. (Maybe it was pinging a bit all that time, but I never heard it until I finally went quiet.) I then bought a timing tape for my balancer and really dialed my distributor by taking a couple degrees off the initial and bringing the mechanical in earlier. I would have never thought of doing that with my glasspacks because, well, it was to loud to really hear the actual motor. All I heard was the exhaust. The ponies I gained in the timing curve more than offset any loss caused by the quiet exhaust. Also as a secondary bonus to the new mufflers, I now hear cars coming up on my flank when going down the freeway.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 PM   #15
jocko

In what state is a straight pipe legal? I think I’d like to live there, but even if I did, I’d still install a muffler.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #16
lowroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I drove my truck to the exhaust shop after I cut the muffler off. It was fun for that little bit, but my ears did hurt a little after that 20 or so minute drive.

I chose to use a Black Widow Exhaust Venom 250. I don't hear it inside the cab unless I get on the throttle some. I can't speak for how it sounds from outside the truck as I've never had anyone else drive it without me in the cab. I've had many friends tell me that it's loud though.

The Venom 250 might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Black Widow makes several other mufflers
Cool I'll look at that.
I have a 235 just looking to get a little sound from.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
lowroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I say if you want it loud with that poppy backfire noise go for it. Just make sure it is all legal.
just looking for some nice sound outta the 235
Old 02-26-2021, 11:23 PM   #18
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
To the OP: you should certainly get what you want be it loud or not because believe me, I get it. I loved the sound of Porter Steel-Paks as I banged thru the gears..... but now that we have kind of turned this discussion a bit toward quiet and loud, I thought I'd add something else. When I made my truck quiet, I was able to really dial in my distributor curve since I could now hear the motor pinging off the line when I lugged the clutch. (Maybe it was pinging a bit all that time, but I never heard it until I finally went quiet.) I then bought a timing tape for my balancer and really dialed my distributor by taking a couple degrees off the initial and bringing the mechanical in earlier. I would have never thought of doing that with my glasspacks because, well, it was to loud to really hear the actual motor. All I heard was the exhaust. The ponies I gained in the timing curve more than offset any loss caused by the quiet exhaust. Also as a secondary bonus to the new mufflers, I now hear cars coming up on my flank when going down the freeway.
Well said.

This is something I was taught at a young age

A well tuned engine with Turbo or regular mufflers is (A+) for me

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build

Last edited by Getter-Done; 02-27-2021 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #19
slepysal

When I got my truck I had some 15" glass packs installed. I liked how it sounded ,but that was a bout 15 years ago. On longer trips it can get a bit annoying. I will be swapping out the long tube headers for some cast iron shorties and a new exhaust system with some flowmasters .
Here is a very short vid on how it sounds now .

https://youtu.be/IYqtxakIqkE

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 02-28-2021 at 01:16 AM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #20
REDROCKER652002

Not a 6 cylinder, but I had a 79 Z28 that I put glass packs on. I dug the sound. A previous job I had Flowmaster as a client. The HR person I dealt with sent me a set of Flowmasters for my Z. I was not thrilled with the sound, but I was young and could say I had them. LOL.

My son just got a do it yourself setup from Summit, I think they had Thrush mufflers? I really like that sound. Low grunt, but not too loud. He is 19, so of course he wants louder. I told him, knowing from experience, loud pipes only attract the cops.

I'd give glass packs a run, if you are only buying one it won't cost you too much RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #21
lowroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
When I got my truck I had some 15" glass packs installed. I liked how it sounded ,but that was a bout 15 years ago. On longer trips it can get a bit annoying. I will be swapping out the long tube headers for some cast iron shorties and a new exhaust system with some flowmasters .
Here is a very short vid on how it sounds now .

https://youtu.be/IYqtxakIqkE
super cool set up... loved the vid too. sounds good. i only have single pipe but love your duals.
i have a 62 an noticed you have a different brake/clutch master set up..
pm me on that as i wanna upgrade out of my original 1 master cylinder
Old 02-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #22
lowroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
Not a 6 cylinder, but I had a 79 Z28 that I put glass packs on. I dug the sound. A previous job I had Flowmaster as a client. The HR person I dealt with sent me a set of Flowmasters for my Z. I was not thrilled with the sound, but I was young and could say I had them. LOL.

My son just got a do it yourself setup from Summit, I think they had Thrush mufflers? I really like that sound. Low grunt, but not too loud. He is 19, so of course he wants louder. I told him, knowing from experience, loud pipes only attract the cops.

I'd give glass packs a run, if you are only buying one it won't cost you too much RR
heck yea....
im 47 an love the hotrod sound. cops here in Toledo dont really bother us hotrodders or bikers.. unless your acting a fool.
im defiantly gonna give the pipe a little sound.. as previous mentioned. the venom 250s sound good too.