The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
greenweenie1969

Moldings and Bed Kits

Im looking for recommendations for moldings and a wood bet kit replacement.

I have a 69' C20 Custom Camper I'm in the middle of a full restoration on. It had upper and lower moldings and a wood bed. All were factory.

Has anyone had experience with MAr-K Quality kits? LMC? Classic Industry? Is there a major difference in quality?

If you have pictures of your moldings that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
greenweenie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Moldings and Bed Kits

If you want the best in my experience is Mar-k
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Wobpb377

You will hear MAR-k is the best. For a full restoration I’d go that route. I’m on the fence since mine is a very clean daily driver but not show quality. I’m looking at the Auto Metal Direct sold ones. The MAR-K are American made and I think the Auto Metal direct are out sourced. The part number begins with x which I hear is a foreign part.

I know others like to shop local and support vendors on the board. And I get that, but if finances are a concern—you can get nearly everything from Summit racing. For me in Hawaii the MAR-K is nearly $600 shipped but through summit it’s $200. Same exact part. It’s ordered through summit and shipped by mar-k
Wobpb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #4
LS short box

I used Mar-K and was very happy with the moldings. One of the reasons shipping is expensive it that Mar-K packs the moldings in a padded wooden crate to prevent damage. I suspect they learned that lesson the hard way. Got mine from Brothers and they had a discount sale going on that saved me a good chunk of change.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
greenweenie1969

I have been thinking about going the mar-k route. I had not thought to look if they are on any of the major sites. I live in CA and the shipping is near 400$. I also have a local bed wood maker for the oak materials and think I may go with him as I can choose the wood. All I would need is the hidden hole pattern for him to drill.

As for the moldings have any of you used the ones for summit/jeggs/brothers?
greenweenie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
Davidf

I used Mar-K bed panels on my '52 and they were top notch. I used Brothers moldings as I heard they sourced them from Mar-K or same supplier. The Moldings seemed ok, time will tell as I just installed them on my '71. Brothers has no idea how to package a ship moldings. Many were damaged due to poor packaging and had to be replaced many times. Good luck.

FWIW, Brothers price point on the moldings is way better than Mar-K...I am thinking this is due to some sort of agreement with Brothers.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
67C10Step

I have a pine wood bed kit on order from Mar K right now. My truck will be a patina truck for a while but not a daily driver so that should do for me. I got it while they had their 20% discount earlier this month.

Thinking seriously about doing a road trip in a few months and picking up a bed kit right at the factory. It would be a five hour drive one way but it would be a good excuse for the wife and I to make a trip. Spend the money I would on shipping in gas and groceries for the trip.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Wobpb377

Another way to save money via summit is ask if they have any applicable discounts. They offer a military discount which falls under their racer discount. Worth a shot. And it ships directly for MAR-K. So you get the quality plus cheaper shipping. The reason I use summit is for shipping. Most of the smaller places are higher in shipping costs or won’t ship to Hawaii. Takes a bit work to cross reference parts but I haven’t found anything yet I can’t get on summit
Wobpb377 is offline   Reply With Quote