The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet

Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet. There, I said it. Please prove me wrong.

On recommendation of WannaBe68 I would like to continue discussion from this Suburban thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624092 over here in the pickup section where perhaps there are more people looking.

By restore or repair a steering wheel I mean the following simple things:
1. the steering wheel has cracks filled in with some sort of putty, compound, glue, etc.
2. the steering wheel has been sanded and made to look reasonably nice and smooth.
3. the person repairing the steering wheel can tell us exactly what product was used by brand and part number or exact name of the product.
4. most importantly, a couple of years have passed with the steering wheel being used on a truck that is being used, and cracks have not reappeared [edit: have not reappeared in the repaired crack, such as the repair epoxy cracking].

After searching on the forum, I have found nobody has permanently repaired their steering wheel yet, or if they have they can't remember or give info on exactly what was used so that somebody else could pick the stuff up out of a wide variety of products available. There's a whole bunch of might be able to use this, or might be able to use that, and a whole bunch of I used this and I used that and look here at these pictures of how great it turned out. But then rare is the report back on the failure after time, and no reports at all that I found of success over time. Success the day of a repair or a week or two later does not count.

I propose a challenge, please prove me wrong about not being able to search and find results because I'm a dummy, or those who have the good experience please post up new pictures of an old repair that is holding up along with exact product used.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 08-20-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarity
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet

I've been considering using JB weld on mine
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
crewadmin

I am happy to report that someone has and that is me! I repaired three steering wheels, my 71 SB, a 65 Mustang woodgrain which is not wood grain but plastic, and one from a 37 Chevy stakebed truck. I am most proud of my Mustang wheel which I think turned out beautiful but took some time and effort. I will post pics and I will have to go to the shop and get the materials list but I will try to start by posting pictures, because talk is cheap and a pic is worth a 1000
Attached Images

crewadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I've repaired them, but never done a thread. I couldn't tell you the exact products, but it's just general materials.

Search may not have found any threads, but there have been some over the years I've seen. But always room for a refresher. I don't have much luck searching for threads. I would have thought there would be a FAQ thread on this.

* Grind out cracks to a groove

* Epoxy

* Sand excess

* Bondo

* Sand

* Adhesion promoter

* Urethane primer & paint

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
crewadmin

I have not posted much here so this may be excruciating for some, hang tight. The first pic is one where I started filling the cracks. Let me get some pics posted and I will try and explain the process. I will post my Mustang wheel pics too, please withhold your wanting to ban me from the site but I have had the car since I was 14 so I was a Ford guy before the Chevy came along but the wheel really does look awesome! I have a feeling my pic posting is going to suck but be patient!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
crewadmin

Pics will be a couple at the time. I said it would be excruciating
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
crewadmin

List coming soon and process too. Special k is correct in process and materials.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
dmjlambert

Yes, thanks. I would be interested in pictures of 2+ year old fix without recurring cracks on a car/truck that is being used, if the exact filler product is known. Nothing wrong with seeing Ford wheels, they need restoring, too.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
stevenfromtexas

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OUD4VI9axGdRXQ

not sure if this will go through or not, i'm pretty computer . very good read on restoring these wheels
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
4oldcars

I have a 1961 Impala wheel in my Blazer. I repaired it with PC-7, painted it two tone, black and burgandy, and it's been on for a couple years. Looks as good today as the day I put it on. Only down side is I never could get the horn right, but I've not had a problem driving without a horn. if I was a little smarter I'd post a picture.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OUD4VI9axGdRXQ

not sure if this will go through or not, i'm pretty computer . very good read on restoring these wheels
Yes, that thread was a good example of repair failure. I guess it is a good read on what not to use. Other threads have mentioned the Eastwood kit fails and cracks return in the place of repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4oldcars View Post
I have a 1961 Impala wheel in my Blazer. I repaired it with PC-7, painted it two tone, black and burgandy, and it's been on for a couple years. Looks as good today as the day I put it on. Only down side is I never could get the horn right, but I've not had a problem driving without a horn. if I was a little smarter I'd post a picture.
Thanks, 4oldcars, this is the first report of a lasting repair I have been able to find on the forum. Posting pictures is not hard, just click the Go Advanced button, Click the Manage Attachments button, Choose File, and upload one.

I would like to hear about more success-over-time repairs that include the product used.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

You have to look at it this way. The material has already cracked from age (in the sun) and only getting older. Why would we expect no more cracks just because we fixed the first ones? A good job will hold up. But new cracks could possibly develope. You have to consider condition of wheel to start with. There are wheels I wouldn't bother with. Consider use as well. Some restorations rarely get driven or see the sun and others go right back to running around or sitting out. Kits are hokus pocus sold by one stop restoration shops, usually for more money. Research the best individual products and retain total control of the quality in materials. Eastwood doesn't make the stuff they sell.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
crewadmin

To repair the wheel I used a dremel to cut out the cracks and cleaned the area and I used JB Weld to fill my cracks. Over fill the cracks and then sand and sand some more. You will refill areas to build them up. After everything is filled and sanded I used a high build primer and sanded and primed until I was satisfied with the surface. I used an Eastwood single stage black to spray the wheel and followed that with an Eastwood 2k aero clear that leaves a very hard finish. There is no right way it is just getting in there and doing it. Both of mine have been done for 2 years and have held up very well. They are going to expand and contract and crack. I dont think anybody has a sure cure for these wheels. I will post more pics and hope this helps. Don't be reluctant to tackle it. I found it to be very rewarding!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #14
crewadmin

Finished
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
crewadmin

Sorry its sideways
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
crewadmin

It may be a Ford but it looks good!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
crewadmin

Before the redo
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
crewadmin

37 Chevy
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
crewadmin

Primed and my bad I don't have one after it was painted!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #20
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Why would we expect no more cracks just because we fixed the first ones?
Brand new cracks may appear in any new place on the wheel and I would not call that a failed repair. I was looking at the threads where the repair cracked again in the same place, and my main interest in starting this thread is to hear news, especially about old repairs that are holding up over time.

There were a number of posts about repairs just done, and they look great. I like to see the reports especially about what works in the long run. I've been repairing way too many things on my truck 2 or 3 times per item.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #21
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewadmin View Post
To repair the wheel I used a dremel to cut out the cracks and cleaned the area and I used JB Weld to fill my cracks. Over fill the cracks and then sand and sand some more. You will refill areas to build them up. After everything is filled and sanded I used a high build primer and sanded and primed until I was satisfied with the surface. I used an Eastwood single stage black to spray the wheel and followed that with an Eastwood 2k aero clear that leaves a very hard finish. There is no right way it is just getting in there and doing it. Both of mine have been done for 2 years and have held up very well. They are going to expand and contract and crack. I dont think anybody has a sure cure for these wheels. I will post more pics and hope this helps. Don't be reluctant to tackle it. I found it to be very rewarding!
Thanks for the news and info. I now have a really nice 62-65 Chevy II steering wheel that is perfect for my truck, and it only has a few very minor cracks. So, I am going to tackle it.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet

I have done 2 so far. I did a 67 SS Chevelle wheel that is in my 71 truck.

I have redone a 67 SS Impala wood steering wheel for my 64 SS Impala and as of right now I'm in the process of restoring the Impala original wheel.
I just have come inside to sit down after wet sanding the first coat of white paint.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #23
dmjlambert

Thanks, nice progress. What is the filler product you used, and has it held up without re-cracking in the filler product or in the repaired area after a couple years?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:45 PM   #24
GMCGrim

Thumbs up Re: Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet

I restored mine and I will upload pictures in the morning. The epoxy I used was PC-7. I ordered it online because it was nowhere to be found locally. My wheel is about five years old now and holding up well as it does not get much sun because it's garaged most of the time.
GMCGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #25
ThePunisher67

Nice thread I am tearing everything out of my truck cab now look forward to reading this more.
ThePunisher67 is offline   Reply With Quote