The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Tony71c10

Longer brake hoses

I lowered my 84 c10. Now I need longer brake hoses cause they rub. I have 1" rotors (light duty). Is there a place I can get longer ones made or can I use some from another truck. Most I brake lines i seen are squared but mine are more triangular. I'll try to post a pic if I can figure out how. Thanks in advance
Tony71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
blazer2007

Re: Longer brake hoses

I would think a 4x4 shop that does lift kits.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
liftlawssuck

Try Off Road Design.
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony71c10 View Post
I lowered my 84 c10. Now I need longer brake hoses cause they rub. I have 1" rotors (light duty). Is there a place I can get longer ones made or can I use some from another truck. Most I brake lines i seen are squared but mine are more triangular. I'll try to post a pic if I can figure out how. Thanks in advance
I'm not familiar with lowered rigs at all, so excuse my ignorance, but I'm trying to envision where lowering would make you need longer brake hoses. Aren't they already too long if they're rubbing and lowering it made the wheel/brakes closer to the frame? You can get extended length brake hoses that are used for lifted trucks from Summit or Pro Comp or Superlift.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
2ndGenRR

I'm in the same situation. Lowered my '86 and now the factory hose crashes into the ball joint nut. If you try to route it over the top it's too short. Going to attempt to bend the steel 90 on the factory line to clearance the nut.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
SCOTI

Lowering should not require longer brake hoses. I've done close to 20 trucks personally over the years & never needed longer hoses (for disc equipped years or swaps).

The hard line from the banjo fitting @ the caliper requires tweaking to ensure the hose doesn't contact any metal & it's easily done w/a heavy screwdriver or small pry bar. When prying, work slowly as it's easy to kink or pinch the tubing if you're 'heavy handed' w/it.

Please post a pic of this issue.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
2ndGenRR

I found it wasn't just rubbing against the nut on the upper ball joint, but crashing into it. May have been able to bend the line enough to clear it, but it would have been more than a tweak.

Based on that I went with aftermarket lines from Skyjacker for a 6-8" lift (Part #FBL18). Several benefits: Replaces old, soft factory line (better safety and improved braking), was able to route the line around upper control arm versus under it, thereby avoiding any potential for contact with the control arm, coil spring or anything else (there was even a handy stud on the control arm that I used for a retaining clip).

Not the least expensive route to go, but for me it was worth it.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Rickysnickers

Try Crown Performance, http://www.crownperformance.com/
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Tony71c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Lowering should not require longer brake hoses. I've done close to 20 trucks personally over the years & never needed longer hoses (for disc equipped years or swaps).

The hard line from the banjo fitting @ the caliper requires tweaking to ensure the hose doesn't contact any metal & it's easily done w/a heavy screwdriver or small pry bar. When prying, work slowly as it's easy to kink or pinch the tubing if you're 'heavy handed' w/it.

Please post a pic of this issue.
Your right. Hoses are long enough. Just can't get them to fit because they hit the control arm nut. I would have to bend it a lot to clear the arm. What I noticed was that the old hoses have been swapped from one side to the other so they run away from the control arm but are pretty closed to the spring.
Tony71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony71c10 View Post
Your right. Hoses are long enough. Just can't get them to fit because they hit the control arm nut. I would have to bend it a lot to clear the arm. What I noticed was that the old hoses have been swapped from one side to the other so they run away from the control arm but are pretty closed to the spring.
I had to swap sides before (I recall it was on my dually). But, I was always able to utilize OE length hoses w/some tweaks to the end of the lines. Longer lines get the job done too.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote