The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

1962 Viking or Spartan find

A couple of months ago I had a day off work and I had to make a run to the local landfill. I wanted to do it on a week day because with the covid going on, everyone goes to the landfill on Saturday and the line to get in would be 4 hours long. I took my 2yr old daughter, Ivvy, and my now 7yr old son, Colt, with me. On our way back Colt was telling me he wished we could find him a cool old car because you know his older brother Clint already has a Camaro, Dad. I told him I knew where some old trucks were and asked if he wanted to drive by and see them. He screamed yes and jumped up in the seat and started clapping his hands.

I turned around and headed back. I have known about these 2 trucks for years. I never stopped to see if they were for sale because I hate to not have the extra cash if a person says yes it is for sale. We were driving down the road and I pointed the first truck out. He was looking with excitement but couldn't tell what it was. We pulled in the drive way and the old farmer was home.

He had a guest so I just pulled up and shut the truck off. I just listened to what they were chatting about and waited patiently. The shorter of the 2 men asked how he could help me and I told him I had been eyeing his old trucks for years and I had a son that would love to have his own project. He said they were really rough and he didn't know if they were worth messing with. He said go on out and look at them and then come back and talk to me.

We went behind his shop and there the first truck sat. This truck is I believe a 1962. It has Spartan emblems but enthusiasts say it really is a Viking since Spartans were a much heavier truck and this is not. It also had IFS with torsion springs and an aftermarket helper spring pack under the engine cross member. It is really unfortunate that it is so rusty and there is no title for it. It got parted out and I cut the front off for wall art. I also cut the back of the cab off and kept the doors. Here comes the best part of this deal. I pop the hood and it has a big block in it, and it is not a tall deck! I figured, sweet! This won't be cheap! There also is a 60-68 C800 Dodge there we got an d I'll post it in the alt tinkerings area.

We go in to the old man's shop and he asks us what we thought. Colt immediately says well, they're alright, but that red one is junk. I asked the man what he thought he would want for them and he said if we had to have them, as long as the young man would learn something from them, we could buy the red one since he thought the engine may be worth something. But, we had to take both of them.

I don't really have a place for them so I spoke with my Dad and he said I could bring the red one to his place first and part it out. Then bring the white one home. So currently I got the chevy parted out and gone so I can bring the white one to Dad's place.

Now the story gets better. The next day after we looked at the trucks I took my friend over to look at a 1975 Pontiac. It turned out to be a huge rot box so he passed on it. He wanted to go decode the engines in the trucks for fun. I told him I doubted either one had anything special. The Dodge has a 413 or 426 wedge so far from what we can break down. The Chevy is the cherry here. He started cleaning off the rh deck edge and then he starts messing with his phone. He drops his head and tells me he really hates me right now. I told him stop it. It wasn't anything cool. He says BS, shows me his phone and it says the suzzix code is CKN. CKN equates to a 1970 Chevelle LS3 330hp 402. I couldn't believe it. It actually is something cool. Granted it isn't a LS6 454 chevelle engine but it beats a smog 454.

After doing some research, the exhaust manifolds and carb are the same as LS5 engines and worth some decent money. Currently I'm cleaning the engine and parts getting ready to market it. The engine did get moisture in 1 and 2 but I put marvel mystery oil in it and got it turning before I removed the engine.

All in all a pretty good find so far.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1962 Viking or Spartan find

The truck wouldn't fit on my trailer so we used the farmer's trailer and he even hauled it to my Dad's place. Talk about a stand up guy! Colt wasn't really thrilled I parted out the red truck but man was the cab roof shot. The cab had more walnuts in it than anything I've drug out yet. the truck had been setting under that tree for 30yrs the man said. Now I can say I have a true LS3 and it has no plastic intake.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Nice find. 61 Hood with V8 Hood emblem.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
regan wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Nice find. 61 Hood with V8 Hood emblem.
You know It's gonna have a Straight 6
Old 08-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Did you already scrap the torsion suspension? I bet that would have been greatly needed by a truck restorer for the parts. If still around, a $35 annual membership to ATHS gets you Wheel Of Time magazine with free classified section (as well as on their website)

That Dodge 413 is a desired engine, too. So is that truck a cabover or one with the old style truck cab carried over?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Did you already scrap the torsion suspension? I bet that would have been greatly needed by a truck restorer for the parts. If still around, a $35 annual membership to ATHS gets you Wheel Of Time magazine with free classified section (as well as on their website)

That Dodge 413 is a desired engine, too. So is that truck a cabover or one with the old style truck cab carried over?
Yeah the chevy got axed. I advertised it for parts on some FB groups with no interest. The truck may not be totally cut up though since prices are so low. A friend of mine hauled it off.

I think the Dodge is technically a COE since the cab is partially over the engine. It is a truck cab carried over from the 1955-60 model trucks. I'm hoping the 413 is in decent shape. It might help fund some truck parts.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
DPowers

[QUOTE=Dieselwrencher;8794083]Yeah the chevy got axed. I advertised it for parts on some FB groups with no interest. The truck may not be totally cut up though since prices are so low. A friend of mine hauled it off.

Hood emblem for sale?
Old 08-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

Hood emblem for sale?
Possibly. I chopped and kept all the front stuff to use as wall art.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I think the Dodge is technically a COE since the cab is partially over the engine. It is a truck cab carried over from the 1955-60 model trucks. I'm hoping the 413 is in decent shape. It might help fund some truck parts.
Ok, so both! Now I know what a C-model Dodge is. If that windshield is good I bet that would be desired.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
DPowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Possibly. I chopped and kept all the front stuff to use as wall art.
PM sent