The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Jemezcrusher

LED Headlights

I am considering LED Headlights in my 1950 3100. Looking at Oracle red halo complete units (I have red artillery wheels and think the red halos would be a nice effect). The Oracles are kind of spendy compared to the cheap ones on Amazon or EBay but they have very solid reviews. I looked at the thread that lower50s did on an LED conversion but thought a complete unit would be a better option for reassembly of a project that has no headlights at all. I have the original buckets and trim but not sure if I can retain any of that so a 7” halogen might be what I have to do in the end as I do prefer the original trim

Anyone have experience with these type LED units?

I did a search without many results
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: LED Headlights

I'm going to stomp on some toes and hurt some feelings but why the hay would you want to put something that ugly and goofy looking on an AD truck just to follow a fad?

The only thing worse is those three eye things that some guys think are the hot lick.

An Led conversion bulb for a light that takes an H-4 bulb, yes as they look correct on the trucks but leave the silly stuff for the Donk brigade.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
slammed57

I rarely bash anyones ideas, but Iam kinda with mr.48chevy......but thats my opinion which dont mean squat.... I seen them on our trucks before, I dont think they look right, but then again its what my eye is use to. if you like them then that's what you put on! its your truck and your vision, but either way I support ya bud!
Old 12-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
jweb

I don't see the point in either of the above responses. If you don't have some useful information for the OP next time just move on. He didn't ask if you like LED headlights.This is a great forum and I hate to see comments like these that may push good forum members away.

I don't have any experience with LED headlights but I know Oracle, JW Speaker and Dapper are 3 popular brands of aftermarket headlights.

If you do want more of a stock look, you can use the Cibie headlights that accept an H4 bulb. They're much brighter than stock and look original. Yhat's what I have and I've been very happy with them.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I don't see the point in either of the above responses. If you don't have some useful information for the OP next time just move on. He didn't ask if you like LED headlights.This is a great forum and I hate to see comments like these that may push good forum members away.

I don't have any experience with LED headlights but I know Oracle, JW Speaker and Dapper are 3 popular brands of aftermarket headlights.

If you do want more of a stock look, you can use the Cibie headlights that accept an H4 bulb. They're much brighter than stock and look original. Yhat's what I have and I've been very happy with them.
y

Thanks for the info. Guess the first two did not read that I was thinking about it and wanted some feedback about experience with the devices, not the appearance. I live at 8000 feet in the mountains and want to see at night as well as I can. Lots of critters that can do serious damage to me and the truck. Halogen at a minimum, but still considering alternatives.

BTW, I wear steel toed boots so not worried about my toes
Old 12-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
jweb

I drove for awhile with the stock sealed headlights and it was terrible even on a nice summer night. I switched to the Cibies and added relays and it’s a big difference.

Here’s a thread in the 60-66 section that may help for the LEDs
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=Dapper

The Trucklites mentioned don’t look too bad
https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27...=trucklite+led
Old 12-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
mr48chev

A new pair of Cibies and 100/55 H-4 bulbs and a set of relays will light up your world and look right.

I had those in my 48 minus the relays years ago and you never run out of light if have them adjusted right. The best light I have had on any vehicle I have owned in the 57 years I have had a drivers license.

A high output led in the same (new) Cibie 82440 light unit might be better yet.

I realize some guys especially guys who are new to the hobby are really caught up in what is the latest hot lick fad thing on the "gotta have to be a cool guy" list but those things aren't always the best and often look real dated a few months or a couple of years after the fad wears out. The main thing here is headlights that light up the world and throw light that you can actually see down the road with and see far enough ahead even on low beam that you can avoid issues.

I'll add this though, old H-4 lights that have been around a while aren't worth wasting your time on. the reflectors degrade after a time and that includes Cibies. Cheap Ebay lights for the most part aren't worth fooling with.
If you have to go cheap go with this Ebay seller as the lights he sells work and work well https://www.ebay.com/sch/rimiinc/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from= The only thing is that some of them don't fit in the holder very well. His lights are still the best cheap ebay lights hands down.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-12-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #8
slammed57

my apologies, didnt mean for it to sound that way ,
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

If you have to go cheap go with this Ebay seller as the lights he sells work and work well https://www.ebay.com/sch/rimiinc/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from= The only thing is that some of them don't fit in the holder very well. His lights are still the best cheap ebay lights hands down.
Have you bought a set of those EBay headlights?
I’m curious if they have curved glass like the Cibies or if they’re flat like the Hella headlights. I will need some 5 3/4” lights for the GMC grill on my ‘64 Suburban some day.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:11 AM   #10
vintovka

Talking Re: LED Headlights

My pair of $12 led floods put out such an amazing amount of light i wired them to come on with the old halogen headlight brights. Almost too bright!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
my apologies, didnt mean for it to sound that way ,
All good
Old 12-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
Jemezcrusher

So, when you buy the Cibie lights, do you need to get wire harness adapters (relays?) and bulbs separately? I have a new AAW harness but not sure it is compatable with the Cibie lights
Old 12-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
So, when you buy the Cibie lights, do you need to get wire harness adapters (relays?) and bulbs separately? I have a new AAW harness but not sure it is compatable with the Cibie lights
I have the AAW harness and I have halogen headlamps, this is the harness I use.
All plug and play.
Attached Images

C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
Yes you will need bulbs and relays. I used a harness similar to what Crossfire showed
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the bulbs I have.
https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H4-100-...8E44AJW1JT1NQS

Last edited by jweb; 12-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
mr48chev

I did find an led /HID conversion for H-4 lights while hunting some brighter bulbs for my OT car this morning.
https://www.headlightexperts.com/hid...-hid-xenon-kit

Side note, those of us who suggest the Cibbie lenses have experience with them and like the light pattern that they put out. I've got a box of lights in the shed that I tried on my 71 trying to get "cool looking and bright" lights and having some that had terrible light patterns that wouldn't be that good for a yard light let alone running over Satus Pass at night. One set of cheap ones had the "eye" melt the first time I used them. That was supposed to project a beam of light further down the road. One set just made other drivers mad even though I had them adjusted as perfect as I could get them without a machine and I was always getting flashed for having my high beams on when I didn't plus they didn't put light down the road right on high beam.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #16
72Mountaineer

On another note, I'd like to find a set of Cibie H-4s that have the directional light in the headlight. I hate the directional lights in the grille and would like something to replace them.
72Mountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #17
mick53

I went with the ones with the blue dot inside of them. My tail lights are blue dot. They were pricey, I think $180 for the pair.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:36 AM   #18
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
On another note, I'd like to find a set of Cibie H-4s that have the directional light in the headlight. I hate the directional lights in the grille and would like something to replace them.
I've never seen a set of actual Cibie brand or Hella 7 inch lights with the blinkers in the light. I'm not a fan of that look so it isn't an issue. I think one of those sets of lights I have in the junk box I mentioned before has them but they have clear lenses and horrific light patterns. Great if you want to see deer up on the bank on the side of the road rather than see down the road though.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #19
mgchevyparts

I was going to jump in and say that I have LED and they are bright, I love them BUT it turns out I just found out I have Zenon bulbs-what ever those are but they are very bright and have an excellent pattern, I took a picture of the digital controller inside the fender
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #20
vintovka

Saw a jeep with turn signal in headlight. I could see it confused some other drivers.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote