The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
hurst

Question goodmark are they any good ?

Hello out there, i'm new to all this, so excuse my dumness, I am looking for good after market bedsides, I have a few things that are goodmark, but i was wondering for the bedsides if these are eny good, the rockers felt kinda light, there is a place called genes general restoration parts, they say most of their parts are goodmark or oem, priced bedsides for 739 pr. and 99 for back panel, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK
hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: goodmark are they eny good ?

Check out some of the vendors that support the board.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...t.php?f=3&a=10

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
KCW
1972 GMC 2006 GMC

Im into my project deep. I can honestly say that Goodmark products have been the worst fitting biggest pain in the project to date. When I called goodmark to explain how they could make things better their reply was thanks but they werent interested. I will stay far far away from goodmark on future projects. NOS is more money upfront but can save thousands in fitment issues.
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
1983shorty

there isnt an aftermarket panel out there that will fit like an original gm panel. i read on a forum somewhere ( maybe here ) that goodmark supplies a lot of aftermarket panels to other companies.
1983shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: goodmark are they any good ?

My understanding is that there are only about 4 or 5 stampers of after market GM resto parts. Most all are in Taiwan with one or 2 here. The Taiwan companies are all some how related. So it is not uncommon to order from goodmark or classic industries and get a Keyparts piece or order from Keyparts and get a Triplus part, which by the way have identical logos except for the name. The GM resto parts are supposed to be just like oem or NOS. If they are not certified GM resto they may not be as tight on tolerances.

I was also told that it may not be the new part. It may well be the truck from all the years of torquing and twisting. Things are a little out of spec and the old fender or what ever has actually shaped it self to a distorted spec so it only looks like its the new one that’s messed up but really it the truck itself.

Knowing a little about the metal stamping process I do know that no two pieces will come out of the press exactly as designed. If the sheet goes in cockeyed it stamps and comes out not to spec. Sheet metal has a grain of sorts that will make it twist or torque when it comes out of the press making it not fit right.

So there are a lot of variables including the vehicle that it’s going on.

The parts below are left and right cab corners for a 58 3100. the right one went into the press cockeyed and the bottom edge is not straight like the left one its scaloped and the door lips don't line up with each other. If they stamped them as we think they should, then they should be a mirror image, which these are not. They aslo are no so far out thet a body man can't get them right. They may be a challenge for me but I'm not a body man.
Attached Images

Last edited by dwcsr; 05-26-2006 at 08:39 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

First off Goodmark is not a manufacturer they are an importer. They buy the parts from over seas and some of their gas tanks are made in the USA. Again purchased from a manufacturer. I do know that they do either own the tooling on some of their cowl hoods or if not they own the rights to it. There are 5 Taiwanese companys stamping out sheet metal and repair panels for trucks of many different year groops. You have good and bad parts from all of the different manufacturers, but I have found that Triplus is the best. Now Key Parts use to be Fit Rite untill I think that Triplus bought them out to have an outlet in this country. (Now that is speculation on my part, but I do know they use to be Fit Rite) Goodmark buys a lot of Triplus parts, but do not buy exclusivly from them. They use to buy all the 67-72 Chevy and GMC fenders from another Taiwan company called Gordon (because they were cheaper), untill the quality got so bad that the returns made it no longer economicly feasible. Then they went to Triplus on the fenders. They also have Triplus floor sections, rockers, floor supports, and the list goes on, but again not everything. The key to getting good quality parts is to make sure that you are buying "GM Restoration Parts" or "CAPA" certified parts. Anything else is colision quality and is for experienced body men, that know how to work metal and not just hang fenders. "GM Restoration" and CAPA certified certainly doesn't mean perfect, it just means that they are about the best that you will find. After all "Genuine GM" parts were not perfect either and in a lot of ways on some parts are even inferior to the Taiwan parts. I will also clue you in as to GMs thinking when they were building trucks back then.... They were trucks! They were more concerned about function than that perfect fit. As long as it did the job as it was supposed to and they all looked the same, they were fine by GM. (Body line tollerance + or - 1/4") Another thing that you need to keep in mind is the older the truck the more the parts were made to fit in the factory. So the older the truck that you are restoring the harder it will be to make the parts fit, but that was the way it was in the GM factory also. You are just repeating the process.
We that are now restoring trucks are the ones that have demanded better body lines and perfect fits even though they were not that way from the factory. So just keep that in mind when you hang the next part you buy on your project, then maybe you won't get as frustrated while doing what you love to do. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
mbgmike

LKQ owns Fitrite just FYI making it the 2'nd largest body part company behind Keystone Automotive

Last edited by mbgmike; 05-28-2006 at 07:45 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
KCW
1972 GMC 2006 GMC

Smile Re: goodmark are they any good ?

I fully expected to need to fit the panels and doors. I understand the tolerance issues and how the trucks back then werent as precisely built. Goodmark stamps their parts with a GM authorized replacement part. I checked into this after the fact and found out its a matter of paying GM to use thier name. With all of the excuses for Goodmark, its amazing how an Old fender off of another truck bolts right on. Also amazing how an old door off even another truck has the proper brake and fits without many fitment problems.---I am just trying to warn people about a company that cost me personally alot of time and money. The truck is looking great now with a few used fenders and a couple of donor patch panels......
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
LKQ owns Fitrite just FYI making it the 2'nd largest body part company behind Keystone Automotive
Mike- I know this is an old thread but....LKQ bought Fit-Rite body parts at 55 Shepherds Lane in Totowa, NJ....not Fitrite that is now Key Parts. Key Parts became Key Parts (changed name from FitRite) because of the "Other" Fit-Rite's incorporation paperwork making it through the state without them picking up on the fact that there was already a Fit-Rite in NJ. In the aftermarket world they share a lot of customers and it was becoming a nightmare for both. Key Parts has nothing to do with LKQ, nor is it even 1/2% owned by ANY outside entity, including Tri-Plus.

My daughter has worked at the "Other" Fit-Rite for 10 years (and continues to).

Last edited by jb4short; 12-22-2008 at 09:37 AM.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
bamafrost

I bought new front fenders, inner fenders, both doors, a hood, and a tailgate from Goodmark. Every item needed to be reworked extensively. Would NEVER use their stuff again...EVER. Spent big money to make it fit....stupid.

'68 Rambler American 2 door post
Built 340/727/8.75 w 3.73 posi
'68 C10 shortie soon to have a 2.5/4 drop
and new Americans: 16" x 8" chrome IROC's
bamafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
66Dually8.1

What company makes the best fitting doors?
66Dually8.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Dually8.1 View Post
What company makes the best fitting doors?
Doors are tricky, one batch may fit like a glove while another from the same maker isn't even close and some times won't even bolt up at the hinges. I suggest you go to classicheartbeat or GMCpaul and ask them. They seem to keep an eye on what fits and what to stay away from.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
66Dually8.1

Thanks. Ill email them.
66Dually8.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
BrianG

Have the front fenders from the aftermarket sources become any better in recent times? My truck is in the body shop and they really want to order new fenders from their supplier (I think goodmark, but am not sure) instead of trying to make mine like new again. i'd be okay with it if they look like original and are of the same quality. I know that fenders were hit and miss, well mostly miss, in the past, but has anyone used any RECENTLY that can comment. Thanks!
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote