The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #26
PapaBo

Re: Anyone else done with Oriley Auto parts?

i have always been an Murrays customer but ever since oriellys bought them out the parts seem to be more expensive and are not of the same quality. lately i have been going to advanced auto parts and they have much better quality parts and cusomer service imo
PapaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #27
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

I go strictly NAPA. I have a hard time going to Kragen/Pep Boys/O'reilly's and trying to get a part when I don't speak Spanish.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #28
BIG V

Lightbulb Re: Anyone else done with Oriley Auto parts?

well its clear that everyone has problems with oreillys.

i have worked in parts my entire working career, ive owned 2 shop's of my own that sold parts. when you have a cool shop the customers come in and for the most part kiss your ass because they want a bro deal. when you work retail at any or all the parts houses kragen oreillys auto zone napa ect ect just remember every other customer these "krappy parts guys" deal with thinks there owed something and on top of that the customers are usually pissed about having to spend money on there car. so after 1 hour of dealing with 25 pissed off people then one of you walk in, its hard to put on the smiling face. Make friends with these "crappy" sales guys i think you would be suprised how far they will go for you or for that matter give you the catalog you need to find the part you want. i have a crappy sales guy at every parts house for 25 miles ive given a starbucks card to or bought the store pizza on a saturday. if you want good service be a good customer, these guys dont know there head from a hole in the ground but i always get what i need the first time. Next time your in a parts house tell the kid behind the counter your in no hurry and just be nice i think it will pay off in 10 fold and further more if you know where the part is in the store go get it yourself, dont make a scene and get the manager involved explain to the parts guy how the part your buying works if he doesnt know and when its all done shake his hand, hand him your money dont drop it on the table in front of him.I think everyone should work retail for at least a year because there are alot of jerks out there. how many of you have intentionally made a crappy parts guy look bad at his work no wonder you are not getting good service.

word for the wise if you buy cheap parts you get what you pay for.
BIG V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #29
MONTEZ

My grandfather used to own the Carquest here and it was a really good deal for me in highschool. I liked the fact that all of the "Carquest" parts were made by reputable manufactures. All of the house brand filters were made by Wix, belts by Gates, steering and chassis by MOOG and shocks by Monroe. I always bought the store brand because it was the same part as the name brand just reboxed. Plus it was was cheaper than "Cost" of the name brand, not to mention I got it at his cost. But he sold it about 5 years ago and the guy who bought it ran so many regular customers off that it eventually closed.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #30
junkyardjohn

I LIVE ABOUT 15 MILES FROM THE NEAREST AUTO PARTS STORE (MY CHOICE) SO IF I WANT SOMETHING MORE OBSCURE THAN A GENERIC IN-LINE FUEL FILTER, I USUALLY TAKE MY OLD PART WITH ME (IF AT ALL POSSIBLE) & COMPARE IT TO THE NEW PART AT THE COUNTER. SOMETIMES IT'S A REAL PITA, BUT I SINCERELY TRY TO MAKE IT AS IDIOT PROOF AS POSSIBLE. YA BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU NEED, OR CHANCES ARE YOUR GOING TO MAKE A 2 HOUR, $9 IN FUEL TRIP BACK TO TOWN FOR THAT $6 PART. THATS THE MAIN REASON I GO TO NAPA IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
dropd80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG V View Post

i have worked in parts my entire working career, ive owned 2 shop's of my own that sold parts. when you have a cool shop the customers come in and for the most part kiss your ass because they want a bro deal. when you work retail at any or all the parts houses kragen oreillys auto zone napa ect ect just remember every other customer these "krappy parts guys" deal with thinks there owed something and on top of that the customers are usually pissed about having to spend money on there car. so after 1 hour of dealing with 25 pissed off people then one of you walk in, its hard to put on the smiling face. Make friends with these "crappy" sales guys i think you would be suprised how far they will go for you or for that matter give you the catalog you need to find the part you want. i have a crappy sales guy at every parts house for 25 miles ive given a starbucks card to or bought the store pizza on a saturday. if you want good service be a good customer, these guys dont know there head from a hole in the ground but i always get what i need the first time. Next time your in a parts house tell the kid behind the counter your in no hurry and just be nice i think it will pay off in 10 fold and further more if you know where the part is in the store go get it yourself, dont make a scene and get the manager involved explain to the parts guy how the part your buying works if he doesnt know and when its all done shake his hand, hand him your money dont drop it on the table in front of him.I think everyone should work retail for at least a year because there are alot of jerks out there. how many of you have intentionally made a crappy parts guy look bad at his work no wonder you are not getting good service.

Screw that. I work every day in sales, not automotive, but sales. No one brings me pizza in order for me to have a good attitude about dealing with my customers. It’s my job. Catering to someone with bad business ethics only makes things worse. Every time I run into some SOB at any of the parts stores mentioned with a bad attitude I tell them, If you don’t want to come to work, do us all a favor and stay home. If you don't like the customers you deal with, quit. It's not my fault I expect decent service. I go to the parts store knowing exactly what I need and how to find it, with good intentions and a smile on my face and usually still leave the store without my part. Your best bet is to seek out the mom & pop stores that are left. They are all ways helpful, knowledgeable, good on price and generally have what you need in stock. Their business is their reputation. I would not advise taking the asshat at autozone a Starbucks gift card to congratulate him on his failure to function in his position. Gimme a break.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #32
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd80s View Post
Screw that. I work every day in sales, not automotive, but sales. No one brings me pizza in order for me to have a good attitude about dealing with my customers. It’s my job. Catering to someone with bad business ethics only makes things worse. Every time I run into some SOB at any of the parts stores mentioned with a bad attitude I tell them, If you don’t want to come to work, do us all a favor and stay home. If you don't like the customers you deal with, quit. It's not my fault I expect decent service. I go to the parts store knowing exactly what I need and how to find it, with good intentions and a smile on my face and usually still leave the store without my part. Your best bet is to seek out the mom & pop stores that are left. They are all ways helpful, knowledgeable, good on price and generally have what you need in stock. Their business is their reputation. I would not advise taking the asshat at autozone a Starbucks gift card to congratulate him on his failure to function in his position. Gimme a break.
Word!!

One reason I use autozone is their website.
I'm comfortable navigating it, there are pics of the parts and usually good specs with key dimensions. Not to mention there is also a whole section with vehicle specific info and diagrams.
I truely hate napa and oriellys web sites.
Advance isn't bad, but I don't have one close to my house...
Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #33
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

^x2

I'm really glad they built some Auto Zones in my town finally.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
irishman999

Quote:

I see where your coming from but, im nothing but nice to people behind the counter. The day I was called a liar i was ready to make a scene but kept my cool and left, returned later with everything i bought from them wanting a refund. The only decent person they had was a young girl that chimed in and told him "I sold it to him, i remember it was opened". Problem is most of them are not helpful and all their stores have the same general attitude.

The guy i got most of my parts from at Autozone was definitely from another county and middle aged, he was very helpful and professional and it did not matter what he knew about parts. Last trip to Autozone here in New Mexico i bought a Carb kit from some guy who was a self proclaimed expert on the carb and bull chat with me for a while, his young partner was making out with some older lady literally 5 feet away from me which was very strange but it was still better service than going to Orileys.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #35
grmrepr

I'm all Auto Zone, the O'Riley's here consists of 3 teenage girls, a handful of rice burner guys who wouldn't know a carb from a tbi, and one guy who asked we what scent I wanted when I went in to get an air filter. I told him not air freshener, air filter and he pointed me towards the febreeze he said its supposed to filter out the bad smelling air isn't it. I just walked out.

1985 Chevy C-10 SWB 305
looking for posi rearend
2003 GMC Sonoma (DD)
1999 GMC Sierra 4x4 327 (Out Of Commission)
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged
2004 Chevy Malibu (Wife's Hot Rod)
grmrepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #36
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmrepr View Post
one guy who asked we what scent I wanted when I went in to get an air filter. I told him not air freshener, air filter and he pointed me towards the febreeze he said its supposed to filter out the bad smelling air isn't it. I just walked out.
funny.. but sad
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #37
JohnC

Quote:
I'm all Auto Zone, the O'Riley's here consists of 3 teenage girls, a handful of rice burner guys who wouldn't know a carb from a tbi, and one guy who asked we what scent I wanted when I went in to get an air filter. I told him not air freshener, air filter and he pointed me towards the febreeze he said its supposed to filter out the bad smelling air isn't it. I just walked out.
that's hilarious, sad but hilarious.

I deal with O'Reilly mainly for the name brand parts. I got to where I look the parts up on the website, and then just go in and rattle off the part numbers that I want so I don't have to go through the whole. Is it a 2wd, 4wd, is the left front lug nut tight, etc....

I also get stuff from Autozone, but not as much. The employees are only a little better there.

I have heard a lot of great things about Advance Auto Parts though, but the closest one is quite a drive from me. I'm hoping they will build one close soon.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
irishman999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
that's hilarious, sad but hilarious.

I deal with O'Reilly mainly for the name brand parts. I got to where I look the parts up on the website, and then just go in and rattle off the part numbers that I want so I don't have to go through the whole. Is it a 2wd, 4wd, is the left front lug nut tight, etc....

I also get stuff from Autozone, but not as much. The employees are only a little better there.

I have heard a lot of great things about Advance Auto Parts though, but the closest one is quite a drive from me. I'm hoping they will build one close soon.
Sir you are brilliant, I think you solved the entire problem here. I am going to try your method next time im buying parts.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #39
clicketyclack

I don't really care what the name on the store is, it's mostly about who is behind the counter. This is the reason I will drive 30 minutes to the parts store in the town I used to live in as opposed to driving 3/4 mile to the closest Knechts. I went to the Knechts a couple days ago because all I needed was some vacuum port caps. I asked the guy where they were and he immediately went to his computer and asked me what make and model they were for.

The guy at the store I like knows me by name, knows the specs on my vehicles, and can rattle off filter/sparkplug/etc numbers for me off the top of his head.
clicketyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #40
po_bird

the one by me sucks. there was 5 counter people there. i went and asked for a woodruff key and they all looked a me like i made up a name for a part. so i said i need a crankshaft key and they come out with a small rod and said i had to cut it myself. all i could do was laugh and walk out.
75 EL CAMINO SS
po_bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #41
po_bird

im with clicketyclack. it depends on whos behind the counter. i know for a fact that all parts stores dont look for parts knowledgeable workers. they look for parts salesman. if you know how to use a computer and can read a childrens book you can get hired at a parts store. but on their behalf, its hard to find decent workers that can pass a drug test. and read on an 8th grade level hahaha
75 EL CAMINO SS
Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #42
po_bird

Quote:
hahahahahaha.....so funny.
75 EL CAMINO SS
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #43
BIG V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd80s View Post

do you work in wants or needs sales? there is a difference if you sell partylite candles of course your going to have all happy buyers, but if everyone you sell to is upset because they just found out the ac compressor is going to cost them 450.00 of there savings for the bed they were going to buy there wife, there is a difference. However there is a certian age group who thinks the world owes them a favor and like to think they are on top of the world, these are the grumpy ones who cant buy themselves another status symbol pair of 145.00 shoes instead they have to put a radiator in that truck of theres thats your perogative, ask someone who's in there 60's if fast food is perfect, of course not its fast food , get the picture. i do let those kids who are working the dead end job dealing with asshats on a regular basis its ok by buying pizza or starbucks cards wow its only money. it makes there day and i get the correct part every time instead of cryin about it on here. you cant expect a different result if you dont change what you are doing. as for the mom and pops shops out there i would pay them twice as much but the big stores with there 14.99 brakepads has sent them closing there doors.
BIG V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #44
bigwheel15

The oreilly by my house has been nothing but good to me, I used to choose autozone but as of late I found oreilly to have better parts, cheaper and staff that dont leave you waiting for help on a part.
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #45
irishman999

Quote:
do you work in wants or needs sales? there is a difference if you sell partylite candles of course your going to have all happy buyers, but if everyone you sell to is upset because they just found out the ac compressor is going to cost them 450.00 of there savings for the bed they were going to buy there wife, there is a difference. However there is a certian age group who thinks the world owes them a favor and like to think they are on top of the world, these are the grumpy ones who cant buy themselves another status symbol pair of 145.00 shoes instead they have to put a radiator in that truck of theres thats your perogative, ask someone who's in there 60's if fast food is perfect, of course not its fast food , get the picture. i do let those kids who are working the dead end job dealing with asshats on a regular basis its ok by buying pizza or starbucks cards wow its only money. it makes there day and i get the correct part every time instead of cryin about it on here. you cant expect a different result if you dont change what you are doing. as for the mom and pops shops out there i would pay them twice as much but the big stores with there 14.99 brakepads has sent them closing there doors.
I do not feel like anyone on here is crying were just sharing experiences we have had with a chain of parts stores that are really sucking. Alot of them have been funny, especially the air filter story and i loved that by the way. Think of it more as our own little consumer report conducted by the members of this forum and its really entertaining.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #46
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Ive been buying everything from Summit performance and normal stuff. And its like christmas when i get home
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #47
dropd80s

Quote:
I work in oil field sales. I promise you I have more customers in a much worse mood than yours, but that's not the point. If you dont want to work at a place that has "a certian age group who thinks the world owes them a favor and like to think they are on top of the world" then don't. I am saying a parts store has two primary functions. To sell parts that a customer needs and maintain a reasonable amount of customer service. If you cannot do that with out some sort of incentive from your customer, you have failed. Its not my job to make their day, its their job to make mine. I do not go into any of the bigger chain parts stores expecting good service. That way if I happen to actually have a decent transaction I'm pleasantly surprised. I try to all ways look up all the parts I can online before I go so I can just give them a list of part numbers. One thing that does really get under my skin is when they tell you they're sure they have it but don't know how to find it, so i should just go somewhere else.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #48

I have to say that I have never had a problem with any parts store I've dealt with. O'Reilly, Autozone, Carquest, NAPA, Advance, dealership, etc. That's because I know my vehicles and the parts that go on them. I have found that all have about the same prices and brands. There is a lot of choices, so I go where the price is right, or brand is right. I have never walked into anywhere and said, "do you have this...?". We all have the internet obviously and access to a world of information, including the stores websites. I do my homework beforehand and make sure I have a correct part number, best price, and check inventory on line, or call them. Then I show up, give them the facts, and I'm out. I open the box, look at it, make sure it's right, and leave. I don't stand around a B.S. with them, and am courteous and quick. I have never had anywhere refuse to return a part for me either, electronic or not. My Dad owned a parts store and a dealership when I was a kid, and I worked in the parts store during the 80's. There were no computers for me to look parts up on, only a mile long row of parts books. I learned a lot this way. Now days, the stores and employees rely on the computers to give them the info they need. This is just the world today. Me spending a bit of time at home during my research, saves myself, the parts guy, and other customers time and frustration. Saying all of this, I do wish the parts computers existed in the 80's when I worked at my Dad's Carquest. Thumbing through all those books sucked!
92470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #49
dropd80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92470 View Post
Thumbing through all those books sucked!
That’s true but some things are not on their computers. The one thing I hate buying is combination U joints when swapping in a rear end from something else, especially when you don’t know what year the new rear is or if the drive shaft is original. I have never had anyone find this in the computer, and most guys nowdays won't pick up the book to look. If they do they can't figure out how to read it. I had one guy at autozone actually pull the book out, but was so embarrassed that he didn't know how to use it he wouldn't let me show him. Said I should just go someplace else. I hate dealing with the most of the guys at my local O’Reilly's but at least they will give me the book and let me find my own parts.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #50
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92470 View Post
I have to say that I have never had a problem with any parts store I've dealt with. O'Reilly, Autozone, Carquest, NAPA, Advance, dealership, etc. That's because I know my vehicles and the parts that go on them. I have found that all have about the same prices and brands. There is a lot of choices, so I go where the price is right, or brand is right. I have never walked into anywhere and said, "do you have this...?". We all have the internet obviously and access to a world of information, including the stores websites. I do my homework beforehand and make sure I have a correct part number, best price, and check inventory on line, or call them. Then I show up, give them the facts, and I'm out. I open the box, look at it, make sure it's right, and leave. I don't stand around a B.S. with them, and am courteous and quick. I have never had anywhere refuse to return a part for me either, electronic or not. My Dad owned a parts store and a dealership when I was a kid, and I worked in the parts store during the 80's. There were no computers for me to look parts up on, only a mile long row of parts books. I learned a lot this way. Now days, the stores and employees rely on the computers to give them the info they need. This is just the world today. Me spending a bit of time at home during my research, saves myself, the parts guy, and other customers time and frustration. Saying all of this, I do wish the parts computers existed in the 80's when I worked at my Dad's Carquest. Thumbing through all those books sucked!
I like the feature some of the sites have where you can see what other vehicles the part fits. I use it all the time to find useful donors for parts at the pull it yourself wrecking yards. Saves a ton of time at the wrecking yard waiting for somebody to be able to run an interchange for you, if the part is even one they can do that for.

Never would have guessed that the only other matching donor for a fourth gen F-body power window motor was an Astro van.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote