The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
bennylava

A couple of questions about the 99-06's

Got a few questions so I guess I'll just number them for ease of answering.

1. How hard is it to swap the front end? I really like the 2002 Chevy truck front end. But I'd like to have an 06 since it'll be easier to find a low mileage truck. So anyone ever swapped the 2002 chevy front end onto a 2006 truck? What all is involved?

2. Does anyone know what is different between the 2002's, and the 2006 model trucks? Aside from the way the front looks. Were there any major upgrades or updates that I should know about? And what were the biggest changes? Is the dash still mostly the same? I'm wondering if I should just get the 2002 truck, or if it's worth it to get an 06 and just swap the 02 front end onto it.

3. Here's the upgrades that I want to do to the truck, once I get it. I'd like you guys to tell me if you see any issues that may arise, or if you have any recommendations. Automatic windows, full sound deadening, decent sound system, GPS head unit, some kind of leveling kit that raises the truck only 1 inch total. Maybe a few engine mods that either don't affect gas mileage at all, or may raise it. Any other upgrades you think these trucks really benefit from? It'll just be a street truck, not an off roader. Thoughts and opinions?
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: A couple of questions about the 99-06's

1. For Chevys, you'll need the entire front clip, rad support and bumpers. GMCs are almost the same between the years, so they would pretty much look identical.

2. Fair amount of hidden electrical and all the were added thru the years. I know heater controls are different (and even vary more depending on models) from 02 to the 03-06 years.

3. 2003 and up went back to drum rear brakes. I preferred the 2002 with 4 wheel disc of the 02. 2002 had 16" wheels for the standard, 2003 and up had 17" because of the bigger front discs.

I had regular cab work trucks, no extended or crew cabs. my 06 and 07 set more level than the 02 did, but I liked the slight rack (raised rear) of the 02 better. Also, I hate it when the rear is lower, even when I haul a load. With a load the 02 set level,, so I was good with that.

I always had manual windows and preferred them on the regular cabs. Factory power windows would be OK I guess. GPS, I use my phone and had a standard DIN style stereo to that would play MP3s on my USB stick.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
biketopia

Looks like most everything has been covered by Palf70Step

If you really like the rounded front end look for a GMC, they kept the same front end from 01-07(classic) Other wise you'll need everything, including the core support I believe.

01-02 stayed pretty similar, but 03-07 things changed from the dash's, HVAC, modules for SRS, BCM, On Star, and a whole slew of things I'm probably forgetting. Either way the 01-07 have cluster issues with the stepper motors failing, easy cheap fix if you're at all handy with a soldering iron. Or only costs about 100 bucks to send one out and get repaired.

You never stated what options or lack of options these trucks you're looking at have? Swapping to power windows from a manual one requires a BCM, the associated wiring, motors, regulators, new door panels and switches. Are you looking at a crew cab truck, bose stereo, if so if you want a decent sound with the aftermarket deck you want to bypass the factory amp. I have a GPS double din in my 03 and am contemplating going back to a single, the maps are out of date, costs a lot to update them when my phone is pretty up to date 99% of the time. Plus the brightness of the screen gets really annoying on long drives at night. Another thing, the 01-02 trucks can only fit a 1.5 din without cutting up the trim or getting trim from an 03 and up truck.

Not 100% if all the trucks went drum rear, but I'm more familiar with the HD chassis, same interior and such though. Which ever way you go, check the brake lines, they always rust. There's stainless pre bent kits for about 100 bucks or AC delco makes a coated pre bent set that is a whole lot easier to work with and will last 20+ years.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

03 and up got a new electrical architecture ("Global A").

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
bennylava

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
You never stated what options or lack of options these trucks you're looking at have? Are you looking at a crew cab truck, bose stereo, if so if you want a decent sound with the aftermarket deck you want to bypass the factory amp. I have a GPS double din in my 03 and am contemplating going back to a single, the maps are out of date, costs a lot to update them when my phone is pretty up to date 99% of the time. Plus the brightness of the screen gets really annoying on long drives at night. Another thing, the 01-02 trucks can only fit a 1.5 din without cutting up the trim or getting trim from an 03 and up truck.

Not 100% if all the trucks went drum rear, but I'm more familiar with the HD chassis, same interior and such though. Which ever way you go, check the brake lines, they always rust. There's stainless pre bent kits for about 100 bucks or AC delco makes a coated pre bent set that is a whole lot easier to work with and will last 20+ years.
As for options, I'd like tan cloth and power factory power windows. I guess I'm looking for a 4 door short bed truck but I think I'd settle for an extended cab since I don't need 4 doors for anything. Do these trucks have the rear doors that open, on the "extended cab" versions? I can't remember when they actually started doing that.

As for the GPS head unit, what I've found is that most of them have a button somewhere or some kind of option that will shut the screen off. While still leaving it on and functioning. It bothers me at night too so I've always just hit that button on the front. Had one in a toyota car for 5 years, and thus far I don't think I've needed an update for it. Although maybe I will at some point.

Beyond that I'd definitely want cruise control, and other things that you'd think that most of these trucks just came with. But I don't know all the options so I'm not sure. What was the luxury model? I'll probably just buy that and swap in cloth eventually if I have to. The rest would all just be thorough sound deadening and a decent aftermarket sound system with a single flat subwoofer, like one of those JL TW5's or something like that.

Not sure exactly what engine mods would for sure increase power while not costing any fuel mileage. Other than headers and exhaust.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
biketopia

They have the suicide doors on the extended cabs those years. I have the option to turn my screen off too still has a hue from it. I think for the money for a decent one, plus the need to do some modifying behind the dash to make them fit I'd stick with single DIN but that's just my preference. Mainly based on the fact the roads by me change all the time with constant construction and my phone is always on me and up to date. Cruise is easy to add on the drive by wire trucks, literally just install the turn signal stalk with the cruise buttons. The "luxury" models were the Silverado LT trim or the SLT trim for GMC, with Denali being higher yet. My 03 2500hd is an LT, leather, captains chairs, steering wheel controls, bose, duel zone auto climate, heated seats. Pretty much the only option I don't have is a sun roof.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 11-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
bennylava

Quote:
They have the suicide doors on the extended cabs those years. I have the option to turn my screen off too still has a hue from it. I think for the money for a decent one, plus the need to do some modifying behind the dash to make them fit I'd stick with single DIN but that's just my preference. Mainly based on the fact the roads by me change all the time with constant construction and my phone is always on me and up to date. Cruise is easy to add on the drive by wire trucks, literally just install the turn signal stalk with the cruise buttons. The "luxury" models were the Silverado LT trim or the SLT trim for GMC, with Denali being higher yet. My 03 2500hd is an LT, leather, captains chairs, steering wheel controls, bose, duel zone auto climate, heated seats. Pretty much the only option I don't have is a sun roof.
I think LT was as good as it gets, for the 2002 chevy trucks. Never heard of a Denali truck, i thought that was always a GMC thing. Maybe you could get one in the 06 Chevy trucks?

After reading this thread, it sounds like the only difference of any real concern to me, would be the dash. And that is because of the double din issue, and me wanting to run GPS. Keith mentioned a newer electrical architecture, but it doesn't seem like that's something that one would really want to consider in this instance. Unless the old architecture was prone to fires or something, which I've never heard of.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
biketopia

Yes, Denali is a GMC thing. I mentioned it because you said you like the front end of the 01-02 Chevy over the 03-07 classic. The GMC kept that style front end all the way through from 01-07. I like the dashs better in the 03&up trucks but it's really preference i suppose.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
hatzie

I thought Global A started around 2010 or so and the security procedures make using used control modules problematic. On the surface it looks like a money grab but maybe there's a good reason...
http://www.fixcarsfaster.com/video-t...gm-global.html
The 2003 through at least 2007 use the GM Class II serial network communication. 2007-2009 used GM CAN buss.
Controllers and a lot of other electrical parts may not be interchangeable between the 2003 to 2007 and 1999 to 2002.
For instance parts like the door switches are integrated over the Class II serial network.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #10
hugger6933

drum brakes reappeared in the 06 model year. I have told my customers for years there isnt anything on the 03 that is the same as the 02 now I am talking about anything with a plug. Almost all the electrical stuff[ on the 03] is different from the stuff on the 02. Changing the front one way or another will be easy just a little more work when doing the forward wiring it can be done just more work instead of a plug and go The front bumper brackets are different as well and that will require a welder to change. I have rebuilt hundreds of both of those body style and been into every nook and cranny of them
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
MalibuSSwagon

Core supports are all the same all years. I put a GMC front end on my 03 facelift silverado. The bumper horns are different between 1500 and 2500-3500 trucks.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
Core supports are all the same all years. I put a GMC front end on my 03 facelift silverado. The bumper horns are different between 1500 and 2500-3500 trucks.
This is good to know.

I do not prefer the "cat eye" front end; if something ever happens I will probably switch over to a GMC.

I assume the same is true for putting an '02 Chevy front end on a '03 and later Chevy?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
bennylava

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Drum brakes reappeared in the 06 model year. I have told my customers for years, there isn't anything on the 03 that is the same as the 02. Now I am talking about anything with a plug. Almost all the electrical stuff [on the 03] is different from the stuff on the 02. Changing the front one way or another will be easy just a little more work when doing the forward wiring it can be done just more work instead of a plug and go The front bumper brackets are different as well and that will require a welder to change. I have rebuilt hundreds of both of those body style and been into every nook and cranny of them

How much would you charge to switch over the front end? To put an 02 front end, on an 06 truck.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
This is good to know.

I do not prefer the "cat eye" front end; if something ever happens I will probably switch over to a GMC.

I assume the same is true for putting an '02 Chevy front end on a '03 and later Chevy?

K
I did not like my cat eye front end either, and the bumper and fenders were rotted so I put on a GMC front clip I had. I also went above and beyond to put a Denali bumper on my 2500HD, which meant cutting the frame and welding on 1500 brackets.

The core support is taller by about 2" due to the frame differences, but the fenders line up fine. You also have to change the plastic headlight brackets but thats easy. The cat eye ones are specific to that front, the GMC and 99-02 are all the same according to the part numbers. The fender inner liners are HD specific as well, but are the same between all years as far as I can tell. I reused my HD liners on the GMC fenders. Flares are all the same too.

GM did make a 1500 Denali, but not a 2500. It was worth the effort as I like the Denali the best.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #15
bennylava

Were you able to get all the panel gaps set properly? That would be one of my main concerns.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #16
MalibuSSwagon

Yes everything will line up just fine.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:57 AM   #17
slimneverdies

Are you guys sure that the GMC’s front radiator supports are all the same? I have a 2005 GMC 2500 that I put a 2006 Chevy HD fenders and hood and I can’t figure out how to get the hood to fit for the life of me. My GMC front end was aligned perfectly... What do you guys think?
Attached Images

slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #18
MalibuSSwagon

I used the same core support to put the GMC front end on my 03 Silverado. You likely just have to adjust the panels once you unbolt stuff the alignment changes.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #19
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I used the same core support to put the GMC front end on my 03 Silverado. You likely just have to adjust the panels once you unbolt stuff the alignment changes.
Ok. That’s the one thing I haven’t done. I figured since the gmc front clip was perfect aligned that I probably should leave the front core support where it was. I’m just going to loosen the entire front...
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #20
bennylava

Quote:
The GMC kept that style front end all the way through from 01-07. I like the dashs better in the 03 & up trucks but it's really preference i suppose.
Hmm... makes me wonder. Would it be easier to just buy an 07 GMC and swap it to the Chevy front end? I like the headlights better.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #21
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Hmm... makes me wonder. Would it be easier to just buy an 07 GMC and swap it to the Chevy front end? I like the headlights better.
Or an 07 classic Chevy, they are literately the same truck, only thing different was available colors and the badges in and on the truck.

Or do you just like the 01-02 Chevy grill? If that's the case it would swap right in to an 07 GMC.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 03-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #22
bennylava

Quote:
Or an 07 classic Chevy, they are literately the same truck, only thing different was available colors and the badges in and on the truck.

Or do you just like the 01-02 Chevy grill? If that's the case it would swap right in to an 07 GMC.
I guess I've never heard of an 07 Classic Chevy. If I got an 07 GM, I'd want to swap the headlights as well as the grille. I'd want to make it look like a 2002 chevy truck, as that is the one I like best. I was just curious if there were any perks to having a newer truck, such as the 06-07.

That and it may be easier to find a newer truck with lower mileage. But then again... it may not really matter. They're both pretty old by now.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #23
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
I guess I've never heard of an 07 Classic Chevy. If I got an 07 GM, I'd want to swap the headlights as well as the grille. I'd want to make it look like a 2002 Chevy truck, as that is the one I like best. I was just curious if there were any perks to having a newer truck, such as the 06-07.

That and it may be easier to find a newer truck with lower mileage. But then again... it may not really matter. They're both pretty old by now.
There was a body and design change in 07 with the GM trucks, the classic was the same 01-07, 07.5-10 is the newer body style. the 01-02 Chevy, and the 01-07 GMC have the same front end. GMC never adopted the cat eye front end the the Chevy's did in 03 and up. I would wan't the newest truck I could get of that vintage. As stated earlier in the this thread the canbus protocol changed in the middle of those model years as well. If you like the 01-02 chevy front end, find a GMC truck up to the 07 model year.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 03-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #24
hatzie

Quote:
There was a body and design change in 07 with the GM trucks, the classic was the same 01-07, 07.5-10 is the newer body style. the 01-02 Chevy, and the 01-07 GMC have the same front end. GMC never adopted the cat eye front end the the Chevy's did in 03 and up. I would wan't the newest truck I could get of that vintage. As stated earlier in the this thread the canbus protocol changed in the middle of those model years as well. If you like the 01-02 chevy front end, find a GMC truck up to the 07 model year.

The 8,600 GVW and above SUV, Fullsize Vans, and Pickups got GM CAN Buss on 2004 and later chassis.
The 1/2 ton Silverado and Sierra got GM CAN Buss in 2006.
http://www.auterraweb.com/aboutcan.html

Continuing production of the prior chassis after the new one is being sold is nothing new for GM. The T400 continued for two or three years after sales of the T800 began. The RV squarebodies continued being produced for four after GMT400 sales began.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #25
bennylava

Maybe I'm confused here but...

It sounds like yall are saying there are 07 GMC branded trucks that have the 2002 Chevy headlights and grille. Since I've made it clear that's the style I want. I was under the impression that the GMC trucks all used the same headlights, and none of them ever came with chevy headlights that could be found on a chevy truck in 2002.

Or are you saying that I should get a GMC truck from 2007, and it would be very easy to change over to the 02 Chevy front end?