The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Maximus

Gauges... I'm suprised nobody has really talked about the new Dakota Digital VHX Line

Ever since i bought my truck almost 10 years ago, I have always looked into aftermarket gauge units. My only real abandonment of the stock gauges is that I want more modern gauges for things such as oil (dont care for oil lines running into my cab lol) and the absence of a tach. 10 years ago there were many gauge pods made to hold individual gauges (much of which are still widely selected today) but in terms of custom 55-59 gauges there were only a few choices. in terms of Digital gauges there was only one. Dakota Digital's digital gauge cluster.

while i loved the idea of having 'digital' gauges in my 50+ year old truck, these gauges always looked too 1980's to me. just recently (last year or two) dakota digital read my mind, and developed what I feel is the nicest aftermarket gauge cluster I have ever seen for these trucks. It has trick features like recording 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times, or just simply displaying a clock or your fuel level readout on its small LCD screen. All-the-while the commonly needed gauges (including a tach) are digitally controlled analog gauges. These gauges are presented in a extremely artistic fashion.
Why has noone talked about this cluster? anyways, maybe i have an unusual attachment to this cluster. the only negative is its ~$760 price tag... but any aftermarket cluster i can find with a tach included is over $500 anyways...

Dakota Digital website link

Anyways, my rant is over! Here is a photo of the cluster I am drooling over...

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Denee007

Re: Gauges... I'm suprised nobody has really talked about the new Dakota Digital VHX

yep! that's nice! sigh
; )
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Lextech

Re: Gauges... I'm suprised nobody has really talked about the new Dakota Digital VHX

I was at the Kalamazoo Michigan NSRA event last weekend. I was hoping Dakota Digital would be there because I wanted to see these new gauges in person and talk to them. They weren't there. I think this new gauge setup is beautiful. I do not like the digital readout gauges. They look out of place and are too busy with all of the flickering numbers. I am pretty sure I will be getting these when I finally do get gauges.

Jeff
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
hopped up

I can't stand digital gauges on old cars! But I could see those gauges on a pro touring style car/truck or road racer type and them looking good in there. Im gonna stick to my stock gauges . JMO
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
I am pretty sure I will be getting these when I finally do get gauges.

Jeff
my thoughts exactly! I figure if I start saving now by next christmas i can buy myself a gift! ha. all kidding aside, these gauges WILL be in my truck. heh.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
OrrieG

We did about 4-5 months ago. I actually had posted a sketch of my dream guage set and someone posted the VHX prototype photos.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
I can't stand digital gauges on old cars! But I could see those gauges on a pro touring style car/truck or road racer type and them looking good in there. Im gonna stick to my stock gauges . JMO
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand your view, and on a stock truck I would agree that these have no place. But when someone starts modifying their truck, if they decide to change the gauge cluster, i cannot see any other option than these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
We did about 4-5 months ago. I actually had posted a sketch of my dream guage set and someone posted the VHX prototype photos.
ahh i missed your thread. I did a search too... my bad. well, these gauges deserve their own post anyways
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Trucknut57

I contacted digital about these gauges a couple of months ago. Currently they are a stand alone setup, but they are working on a setup that will be able to plug into a factory computer and run that way. So for you guys doing the LS conversions in your trucks keep an eye out.

I'm REALLY concidering these gauges, just hopeing the price comes down so I can afford them.

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
lpguy

Yah i think i actually pmed orrie a while back on his post with a link to these. Im looking at these for my 54 as im going with an ls motor and these gauges have alot of add-on capabilities. Just like you said being $800 is gonna turn some people off of them, and most people sticking to somewhat of a stock truck are not gonna want modern gauges as they look out of place. I personally think the regular digital gauges look out of place no matter what... just my opinion.
lpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Lextech

On their website they have an interface box that plugs into the OBDII port and gets its info from the ECM. That seems like it would be the way to go if you are running an OBDII engine management system. All of the info is already available from the PCM, so why not get that info from it. I wonder if it is able to display info such as Boost if a person were using a Custom Operating System in the PCM. That is one of the questions I wanted to ask them.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
hopped up

im not talking about a stocker either. i would rather use a gauge cluster from another old car\truck
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
Coupeguy2001

I like the classic instruments style, it seems a lot of thought went into making them high tech and still follow the manufacturer's original design.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Wheelie

I have installed them and they are nice but not my taste and very expensive!
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I see 54 truck, but no 47-53. Did I miss it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
LDO

I got them. Wife got them for me for xmas last year and finally got to the point in my truck that I installed them. They work great. Comes with all the sensors, etc..

I like them and am very happy with them.

LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
I got them. Wife got them for me for xmas last year and finally got to the point in my truck that I installed them. They work great. Comes with all the sensors, etc..

I like them and am very happy with them.

I Love it!!! Jealous.....
Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
LDO

Gotta go outta town this week but when I get back, I'll post a video of them they're really sweet. Wife got me the back light control module as well as a new chrome bezel for the opening.

She's a keeper!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
lazypineapple

I'm using them in my 52.
Black with red lettering.

lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypineapple View Post
I'm using them in my 52.
Black with red lettering.

they look very nice in the Advance Design trucks as well!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
lpguy

Lextech check out the pressure module
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat646.htm
Posted via Mobile Device
lpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
mknittle

too complicated.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #22
Groyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I see 54 truck, but no 47-53. Did I miss it?
I've got them in 47-53 and I'm running an LS engine. I still haven't finished installing them. I did get the Gear Shift Indicator done though. I'll try to get some pics up in the next week or two if I can get this engine running.

Google search for the lowest price and Summit matched the price for me. It saved a little $.
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
66shortwide

the background looks grey on the website and the magazine ads, but that picture in the truck looks almost white. What color is it? I like them so much, I had planned on putting them in a '66, but now after seeing them in a truck i"m not sure.
66 C10 Short Wide
63 Chevy II(nova)
66shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66shortwide View Post
the background looks grey on the website and the magazine ads, but that picture in the truck looks almost white. What color is it? I like them so much, I had planned on putting them in a '66, but now after seeing them in a truck i"m not sure.
If you mean my pic, the background is indeed grey.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
Lextech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpguy View Post
Lextech check out the pressure module
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat646.htm
Posted via Mobile Device
I did see those modules. What I am wondering though is: The PCM gets engine vacuum/boost info from the MAP sensor and also knows what gear is selected from the Trans Range Switch if the PCM is using an automatic trans calibration.
So---Would you still need any additional modules for displaying the selected gear and boost if you use the OBDII interface.

Jeff