The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #26
YBNORML

Re: how to REset odometer to zero?

Why do people say original miles? Aren't all miles original? Just one of my little pet peeves, kinda like the the three door suburban thing
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Darren MagooGardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
It can be, but we are kind of hijacking the OP's thread. The original question was only HOW to do it, not the pros & cons.

Sorry OP., I'm done...

LockDoc
DON"T stop, the responses are great! That is what I was wanting. I want to know ALL the pros and cons on a decision I am about to make. I am going to do what I want to do,but I want to know all the info on the subject I can get. I have learned SO much from you guys and I want to thank all of you for your opinions.
thanks again to everone.
Darren MagooGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Why do people say original miles? Aren't all miles original? Just one of my little pet peeves, kinda like the the three door suburban thing
Posted via Mobile Device
Some trucks have had their dash panels or odometers swapped with eiher new ones or used ones. These will show non original miles on the truck.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Some trucks have had their dash panels or odometers swapped with eiher new ones or used ones. These will show non original miles on the truck.
That would be fine if the clusters were changed and they said something like " odometer shows xx,xxx miles but actually has xx,xxx original miles. But that's not what people do. People describe every lower mile truck as "only has xx,xxx original miles"

I have even been guilty of doing this myself in the past a Ilene of mine brought this up to me when I was describing one of my trucks. I thought he had a valid point. All miles are original.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
beuller?
I just read through this whole thread and it wasn't til the end that I picked up on the Ferris Bueller odometer reference. Now THATS funny!

If you do a frame up build or a total resto, why not have zero miles the first time you pull it out of the garage? But if you decide to put it on blocks and run it in reverse, dont end up like this!!

'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #31
Tinkermc

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that in most states this is illegal.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
skorpioskorpio

Actually I belive it is federally illegal per US-DOT.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #33
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Is it illegal to install a new gauge cluster?
My truck is totally rebuilt, everything. Makes sense to start from zero.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Is it illegal to install a new gauge cluster?
My truck is totally rebuilt, everything. Makes sense to start from zero.
Posted via Mobile Device
At the time these trucks were new, rolling back odometers was pretty common, the easiest way was to spin it past 100K, so there are odometers out there that stain the high digit to indicate 100,000+ miles, later they just went to million mile odometers. Anyway to prevent rollbacks there was all kinds of tamper evident things and parts that are intended to break if disassembly is attempted added. Technically you are supposed to mark the gauge face in a unalterable way as to what the mileage was at the time of repair or alteration. Most of the new electronic aftermarket gauge companies will either preset the mileage to what you give them or allow you a one time preset at time of installation. My title states mileage "beyond mechanical limits" though I'm not sure mine has even turned over, 80,000 miles is easy to believe, but I don't see enough evidence of major service to indicate nearly 200,000 miles *and* 40 years of existence on a vehicle that has obviously done a fair share of off road use, so California may simply add that to the title after a certain age.

I'd really check what the rules are in your state, but I really doubt that on a 40 year old vehicle anyone truly cares. Hell, a lot of Southern states don't even title after so many years. The Northeastern states, if any, would be the ones that probably care about such things for titles and the Federal laws, while they do exist, were really meant to go after dealers and wholesalers and not so much individuals since they would have to be enforced by the FBI who I would hope have better things to do then show up at your door because you changed your gauge cluster. The question is really who it's for, if it's for you and you want to start over than start over, if you are proud of the mileage history than figure out how to retain it, if you plan to keep the truck for the rest of it's useful life then it doesn't matter and do what you want to it. Like I said most states don't care what the mileage is once it exceeds the mechanical limits of the odometer.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
Don Quixote

My odometer was on its 4th go-round when I finally changed it out last year. I don't use the odometer to track overall miles, more or less a maintenance schedule. If it said 98,000 and I changed the oil, I put 1,000 on the label maker (I keep my maintenance schedule stuck to the inside of the driver's door).

When anyone asks me how many miles are on the truck, my answer is "about 440k". For years I ran with it calibrated for 4.56 gears while running 3.73s. I just recalculated in my head. For the most part though when someone asks me about miles I will tell them, "Lots. Some parts have more and some less, it's 41 years old!"

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #36
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

It definitely varies from state to state. I just bought a 92 Jeep wrangler that has 72k miles that is mileage exempt. New York State declares anything over 10 years old to be mileage exempt, regardless of how many digits the odometer is capable of. Like said before, on a truck that's 40+ years old and has been restored, who cares?
Posted via Mobile Device
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #37
John Pasinski

Just found this thread doing a search for this very thing.
This is what I'm planning to do when I install my bored and totally rebuilt, .060 over 402 (now 413).
I'm going to try and find a 12 VDC HOUR METER and install that.
It makes much more sense to me regarding engine hours than miles. You'll still have the odometer for general truck milage.
When sitting in traffic, waiting for someone, or idling for whatever reason, your engine is running and breaking down oil, and generally wearing itself out.
To me it stands to reason going by hours for oil changes, filter changes, etc. It just makes much more sense.
It's how industrial equipment, aviation engines etc are maintained and have been forever.
I'm now curious; Opinions??
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #38
jpmanyhearts
frankenstien Fabrications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
Why does everyone want to go backward with the odometer? Just roll it forward to 0 again. You don't have to take a chance of breaking it by taking it apart that way. WES

cuz if you roll it backwards in your mind your thinking your taking miles off the truck where as if you go forward your putting miles on lol
Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #39
litew8

The United States Department of Justice THE FEDERAL ODOMETER TAMPERING STATUTES

IDK, I'd think a new engine and a restore would allow for a new odometer. Mine is. Now reading 7 miles.

Last edited by litew8; 11-21-2013 at 12:48 AM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #40
Haggis

See I'm one of those that wasn't lucky enough to get the full history of my truck when I bought it. Its original odometer was at 68k when I pulled it, but who knows how many times it rolled over (my guess, at least twice). However my speedo was also broken, so I had to switch it out. I kept the original and plan to keep it with the truck if/when it sells, just as a full disclosure thing.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #41
litew8

Not sure it'd matter or not, but, I have receipts (proof) for everything.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #42
hamjet

In my simple mind the odometer thing is over rated. Look at all those cars and trucks that were sitting in the guys field for 40 years and auctioned off not too long ago with little or no mileage. It all depends on how it was taken care of, serviced, and sheltered.