The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Question Clutch help!

I was posting asking questions about this in another thread.

My clutch linkage looks like this (the Y-bracket is removed, see the 2 attachment bolts on the block)

My questions:

What is this assembly called?
What is the Y-shaped piece called?
What is the rotating bar called?
What is the threaded post connecting the rotating bar to the clutch fork called?
The entire assembly has two cloth washers, what are they called?
Where can I find replacement rubber rings and cloth washers for the Y-backet and other piece?

I basically need to rebuild the assembly. I just can't find the parts anywhere and don't know what to ask for.

Thanks!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 06-21-2005 at 10:20 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

My Answers:

What is this assembly called?

Mechanical Clutch Linkage (duhhh )

What is the Y-shaped piece called?

No idea to tell ya the truth, I'd guess it has something to do with a ball joint bracket or something

What is the rotating bar called?

Z-Bar

What is the threaded post connecting the rotating bar to the clutch fork called?

Again, not sure, but I think it is called the Thrust Rod

The entire assembly has two cloth washers, what are they called?

Not sure about the official name, I found some at Home Depot in the plumbing section. Similar cloth washers are used in older bathtub faucets.

Where can I find replacement rubber rings and cloth washers for the Y-backet and other piece?

Again, found them at Home Depot. Just take in the originals (or if they are like mine, what is left of them) and compare until you find something similar, or the same.

I had to modify my cloth washers with a box cutter to get it to fit. Newer trucks had a nylon / teflon ring that you may find at a wrecking yard to replace the cloth ring with.

Last edited by Russell; 06-22-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Cool!

I would love to see some pictures of a rebuilt setup. The cloth washers were on the outside of the unit for me. I don't know if this is normal or not. I'de love to see it on both sides - there the Z-bar meets the Y-bar and where the Z-bar bolts to the frame.

I got part numbers also from 68OrangeSunshine here on the forum, so ... for future reference, if anyone is interested:

Quote:
P/Ns: felt washer 30-0695, spring (lock) 30-3103 (x2), seat 30-2392 (x4).
The L6 engine ball stud and bracket assembly could be refurbished, I think. If the bracket is still good, but the L6 ballstud is worn, you could drive out the crimped-in old ballstud, and drill and tap for the threaded [ but still-available] V8 engine ball stud, maybe tack welding it to the bracket or backing up the threaded part with another nut. If the "Y" bracket itself is shot, it could be duplicated out of 1/4" strap steel and the V8 ballstud (engine) p/n 32-6124, affixed in the above manner. I believe the GM dealers still stock this part OEM. I compared a surplus SBC engine ballstud unit off my Jimmy to the L6 set-up and it was the same length and diameter, except for a threaded extension that screws into a V8 block. So if you can't find an L6 engine ballstud and ["Y"] bracket assembly in a junk yard, it could be fabricated by someone who has a lot of time and some talent.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 06-22-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

Bellcrank bracket

Shifty,
I have a couple of those block brackets in good shape if you want me to send you one for shipping. Let me know, Mike
'68 McLaren Ramp Truck
'68/'68/'70/'71 Burbs 292/366/402/454
'69 C-30 dump
'71 C-50 dump and church bus
'71 4x4 454
'72 Blazer (w/pop-up camper) $15 x-hooks
'66 Chevy II 194/Weber
'68 El Camino" 305v6
'69 Skylark 455 Buick
'70 Chevelle 427
'71 Cutlass W-31
'71 GTO 400 2x2
"The 51" Chopped '51 Chevy (409) my first car

OK Toad, we'll take 'em all... John Milner
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Thanks, HRT. I think mine is in decent shape. I'm gonna stop by NAPA at lunch tomorrow to see if I can locate the parts 68OS gave numbers for. I might take you up on the offer if things don't go well.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Tanker350
Account Suspended

LMC has the exact pieces you need for the rebuild of of the Clutch bracket/z-bar/linkage set-up.

EDIt:I scanned a pic of the parts you need, give me 45 min to resize it..

Last edited by Tanker350; 06-22-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Tanker350 is offline   Reply With Quote