The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #301
BlueJeep

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Just read through this, nice build! I was partial to the steelies with the later model caps on the alignment rack.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #302
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Just read through this, nice build! I was partial to the steelies with the later model caps on the alignment rack.
I still have the set-up sitting in a box on one of 'the dually' shelves. Out of the box for that one trip LoL. I still have the aluminum 'star' wheels & caps too....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:03 PM   #303
SCOTI

Might as well update while here....

The O-ring was a gonner. Got that swapped out last night & did a quick clean-up/wipe-down. I put a few miles on it today & so far no leak.

I temporarily bypassed the rear tank so I can shuffle my trailer from its resting spot for the weekend. I'll be testing the compressor & relay for failure after work tomorrow.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #304
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Might as well update while here....

The O-ring was a gonner. Got that swapped out last night & did a quick clean-up/wipe-down. I put a few miles on it today & so far no leak.

I temporarily bypassed the rear tank so I can shuffle my trailer from its resting spot for the weekend. I'll be testing the compressor & relay for failure after work tomorrow.
Relay failed. Replaced both relays (for consistency) & good to go again. I'll keep the used relay that's still good for a glove box spare.

Since I've been under there, I'm now searching for a leak on the rear tank/line side of things. I leak checked all connections when the truck was built but now the rear tank will bleed down over a period of several days. Going to see if I can locate the source w/some bubbles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-20-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #305
EricU

Scoti, as the resident home builder of low fat C30s and my C30 project has spiraled out of control to a full PB Front and Rear bag install, I have a couple of questions for you (I apologize if you already answered them and I missed the answers):

1) Are you running AC? If so, when laid out, how close does the passenger side tire come to the factor AC dryer and housing?

2) What did you do for inner front fenders?

3) On your tailgate Blazer filler mod - How did you get a panel that doesn't have the holes for "Chevrolet"?
Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #306
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
Scoti, as the resident home builder of low fat C30s and my C30 project has spiraled out of control to a full PB Front and Rear bag install, I have a couple of questions for you (I apologize if you already answered them and I missed the answers):"?

Quote:
1) Are you running AC? If so, when laid out, how close does the passenger side tire come to the factor AC dryer and housing?
Yes, the truck has the factory a/c equipment on the firewall. When laid out, there is less than an inch of clearance (~1/2" w/29" tall front tire).

Quote:
2) What did you do for inner front fenders?
I have a set of SloshTubz installed that I won in a raffle. I would modify some original inners if possible before paying $600 for a set that would need to be modified (both to clear the a/c stuff on the firewall & to close-out/seal the compartment better). I know he now makes a 'mild' version which might be improved & clear the a/c but the set I have just does not keep dust/dirt from entering the engine bay. I can clean under-hood for a Sat night cruise & put the truck away nice & clean. 2-3 weeks later after not being moved, I get to do it all over again. The engine compartment will be covered in dust/dirt from just the wind blowing in the parking lot.

Quote:
3) On your tailgate Blazer filler mod - How did you get a panel that doesn't have the holes for "Chevrolet"?
The OE Blazer panel I originally used did not have holes. It was crunched within the first 2wks on the road when someone hit the back of the truck. I replaced it w/a panel from LMC & it didn't have holes either....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #307
Mike Bradbury

Hey I just noticed that your inner dually wheel does not extend inboard past your brakes. Do you have some crazy thick spacer plates on your wheels?

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:45 AM   #308
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Hey I just noticed that your inner dually wheel does not extend inboard past your brakes. Do you have some crazy thick spacer plates on your wheels?
No sir. Factory HD70 rear housing, drum brakes, & 16" steel wheels. I can't go farther out clearance wise regardless. The sidewall to fender gap is <.375" when tucking those 235/85's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-25-2023, 03:12 PM   #309
SCOTI

How about an update??

The dually has been down for a hot minute. Pass fuel pump died years ago on the return trip from LoneStar Throwdown w/a full tank of gas in it. The driver side pump died > a year ago....

Fortunately, that one died as I was returning back to its resting spot so we were able to push it the distance & put it under covered parking until I/we could get to it. Multiple Model-A's, my other truck, the flip cars & life pressed 'PAUSE' longer than anticipated & then the battery was dead as well adding to the 'to-do' list.

So, over the weekend I got a 2nd set of hands & a fairly empty parking lot (room to work) so we swapped in a fresh pump to the driver side tank & were able to jump it off to get it running. Last night, I popped a fresh battery in place & washed off a years' worth of dust. I'll most likely do the passenger side tank up @ my buddy's work (dealership) since that tank is full of that old gas (20gals) & they have a container for the contents.

I purchased 'new' tanks for this effort. Looking into the tank once dropped from the chassis, it looked pretty clean (especially the baffle/tray area). That was a nice surprise, so I just swapped the pump, sock/screen, & hoses instead of the whole tank. We'll see how the pass side looks & make a decision then on that one as well. I'll be fine returning them & getting $250 back into my pocket.

I guess now I could take it to C10's in the Park in September but that event sells out too fast for normal folk (well, this guy) to actually get a registration entry & parking outside of it is not really CC dually friendly. So it might make a GoodGuys FTWorth appearance again this fall as I know I have a buddy that wouldn't mind driving it in. We shall see.

A wow moment? I actually got 10yrs out of the previous battery It actually outlasted my last two relationships.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-25-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:41 PM   #310
SCOTI

After sitting idle for a year, Big Red has ventured out twice now. Hit the local burger joint/ car spot on Sat night. Did fine getting there but something wasn't right for the drive home. Seems it doesn't want to rev past ~2k when in gear. I guess there will be some investigating to determine if it's fuel supply, ignition, or something else.

Looked good & did good otherwise. Sure like scooting around in this thing. It still gets as many thumbs up as when it first hit the road.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-31-2023, 10:34 PM   #311
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Still looks great!
I was always a fan of the 89-91 front clips on these duallys.
I’d like to have a single cab dually with that front clip.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #312
SCOTI

Update.... There was an issue w/the fuel delivery.

The 'new' line that the parts guy got me was not FI rated hose. These TBI set-ups aren't pressurized enough to require the higher rate FI hose but the FI rated hose resists kinking much better. I questioned him @ the counter & he assured me it was FI rated (it felt too 'pliable' to me & I recalled the FI hose had a green stripe on it as the visual indicator). I took his word & assumed I was wrong.

Turns out I was correct. The line had pinched off & was limiting flow. I purchased more line & this time I went back w/the counter guy to look for the stuff myself. Sure enough, the FI rated hose has the ID info printed in green (hence the green stripe I recalled). Swapped new FI rated 3/8" supply + 5/16" return hoses into place. This time I got them longer to allow the lines to loop 360° for an easier bend & allow installing them w/the tank on the ground/truck on jack stands.

Getting these tanks into place solo when they have gas in them is a challenge. It took a few choice words, but I got it done. But.... Now I get to repair damage done to the steering column when it died & I had to jockey that 5500# chunk-o-steel into a parking space in the lot.

So, it sits yet again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #313
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

ITs been a minute since I was on here. I know the feeling about the sticker for C10's in the Park, I missed out when they went on sale...But scored one from a friend who had high hopes of his '64 getting running and will not be again this year.

I agree those tanks are a pia by yourself, especially the 21 gallon versions...

I will be in my orange & black '75 SWB utility box truck at the Park if you make it out as a spectator...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:24 AM   #314
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
ITs been a minute since I was on here. I know the feeling about the sticker for C10's in the Park, I missed out when they went on sale...But scored one from a friend who had high hopes of his '64 getting running and will not be again this year.

I agree those tanks are a pia by yourself, especially the 21 gallon versions...

I will be in my orange & black '75 SWB utility box truck at the Park if you make it out as a spectator...
If we decide to head that way, I'll holler. Hope the world has treated you well my friend!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-06-2023, 12:08 PM   #315
SCOTI

Quote:
Update.... There was an issue w/the fuel delivery.

The 'new' line that the parts guy got me was not FI rated hose. These TBI set-ups aren't pressurized enough to require the higher rate FI hose but the FI rated hose resists kinking much better. I questioned him @ the counter & he assured me it was FI rated (it felt too 'pliable' to me & I recalled the FI hose had a green stripe on it as the visual indicator). I took his word & assumed I was wrong.

Turns out I was correct. The line had pinched off & was limiting flow. I purchased more line & this time I went back w/the counter guy to look for the stuff myself. Sure enough, the FI rated hose has the ID info printed in green (hence the green stripe I recalled). Swapped new FI rated 3/8" supply + 5/16" return hoses into place. This time I got them longer to allow the lines to loop 360° for an easier bend & allow installing them w/the tank on the ground/truck on jack stands.

Getting these tanks into place solo when they have gas in them is a challenge. It took a few choice words, but I got it done. But.... Now I get to repair damage done to the steering column when it died & I had to jockey that 5500# chunk-o-steel into a parking space in the lot.

So, it sits yet again.

The latest update....

The lower column bearing cage disintegrated & the replacement XJ shaft was not in a good state. Seems the bushing/seals for the joint bearing cups had failed or were failing. The joint @ the box end of the set-up was 'sticking' on one plane of movement vs easily moving.

I went ahead & got another new/aftermarket XJ shaft & a fresh lower bearing & support for the column end. I'm going to watch the shaft a little closer this round & if the same issue w/the seals @ the bearing cups happens, I'll go on e-bay & get a used OE XJ shaft.

I drove it around again last night. Hit 5k rpm easily so the fuel supply issue was the collapsed hose. Now I can get it inspected + get the 2nd/PASS side tank & pump swapped. We're going to pull the A/C compressor, drain the oil, & re-charge the system while I'm @ the stealership. After 7yrs, my buddy now seems to think when he charged it initially, he might have had the machine selected to add oil as it was adding freon.... which would have been too much & account for the compressor shutting off above anything above idle speed.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-06-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:25 PM   #316
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
ITs been a minute since I was on here.

Quote:
The latest update....
Glad to see you still get on here occasionally Aggie, I'm friend with you and your son on FB. Seems like that is where we all hang out these days.

Scoti, I'm glad to see you are still enjoying this killer ride!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:02 PM   #317
LT7A

Glad you are getting some time on this rig and are getting ahead of the uncooperative parts. Above, you said Model As? I'm curious about that. Is that your yellow one?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:33 AM   #318
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Glad you are getting some time on this rig and are getting ahead of the uncooperative parts. Above, you said Model As? I'm curious about that. Is that your yellow one?
Yes sir... That's my '30 Cabriolet I bought @ the start of the Pandemic. It was a non-running car that's been mothballed more in life than not.

The last time it was taken off the road was because of an engine issue (bottom end knocking). We got it running & it def had something going on. We pulled it apart & found the timing gear was coming apart causing the noise & the cylinders looked good. We re-freshed the stock flat-4 (dingle-ball honed the cylinders + fresh rings) & cleaned up the stock pistons. I got a 'B' head & water pump w/the car when I bought it so we sourced a 'B' cam to compliment it (the 'B' set-up is .5 higher compression + higher flow water pump). We added electronic ignition as it was already converted to 12v. so the ignition was an easy/smart upgrade.

We re-freshed the 3.78 ratio rear end (bearings/seals) as well as the OE non synchronized 3spd. My buddy found a new/old Mitchell OD (similar to a GV or Volvo high/low splitter) @ an estate sale so I bought it for better gearing splits.

This years upgrades were swapping the mechanical drum brakes for a '39-48 hydraulic drum set-up. And.... because I lower every car I keep, we swapped a 4" 'Okie Joes' dropped axle & 1" Posies rev.-eye drop spring up front. Reversed the rear spring eyes & removed a couple leafs for ~6" drop. Swapped from the original up-draft style to a down-draft intake/carb set-up w/a fresh Stromberg 97 & added a low psi/volume inline electric fuel pump + a Reds 4-into-1 header.

I/we did Pikes Peak in June. Reached the summit (14,100ft) just removing the air cleaner (*barely made it but it did make it). It's been a fun project & I've learned a bunch about these cars in the process.

*I give major props to my young-gun neighbor (James) whose family has been involved in the Model-A scene for decades. He grew up immersed in them & soaked up significant knowledge & is the driving force behind the mechanicals of the car. We work well together & he's like the son I never had.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #319
LT7A

That is very cool, all of it! I never had an interest in pre war cars but had reason to take a hiatus from this forum and spent a bunch of time on the HAMB. I decided I'd like to build a 31, piece by piece, like my dad could have done when he was in high school (if he was into cars - he wasn't). I just plan to pick up people's cast-off parts at swap meets and such, and try to build a rough roadster. Your 30 is much nicer than that and it's cool to read about all of the (mostly) period mods you've made and the friendship you've built. Feel free to drop as much info (and pics) here as you want, I'll read it avidly.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:55 PM   #320
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That is very cool, all of it! I never had an interest in pre war cars but had reason to take a hiatus from this forum and spent a bunch of time on the HAMB. I decided I'd like to build a 31, piece by piece, like my dad could have done when he was in high school (if he was into cars - he wasn't). I just plan to pick up people's cast-off parts at swap meets and such, and try to build a rough roadster. Your 30 is much nicer than that and it's cool to read about all of the (mostly) period mods you've made and the friendship you've built. Feel free to drop as much info (and pics) here as you want, I'll read it avidly.
I won't cut the Cabriolet up. It's as low as it can go as it sits so we're on the hunt for another body (coupe) as I want one a little lower & want more power.

Regarding the power, we went to the southwest clubs Model-A annual convention last year in Kerrville Tx where there was a presentation on the 'new' Burtz Model-A engine program. It visually looks like a stock block but internally has been updated so it's basically like a newer motor (better supported 5-main balanced crank, bearings & pressurized oil feed for improved reliability reducing the need to rebuild as often. They're pricy w/an initial investment of around $6500 - 8500 depending on how crazy you go w/options. The thing I learned though (& was disappointed with) was that the reliability didn't come w/a significant impact on power. I was hoping it bumped the power up as well. I'm not spending >$6500 & only getting stock HP levels. One of the other 'club' guys has a ~130hp banger but it cost him >10k to do it. I'm not spending that kind of money for someone else's stamp of approval or my own personal sense of accomplishment.

I'm a hot-rodder w/multiple styles of cars & trucks so my dollars have to be wisely spent. So just like they did back in the 50's when V8's became more common, I'm doing a coupe w/a sbc that has the early-era vibe & will utilize a fully synchronized 5spd trans w/better gearing. I can make 5x the OE power level of a banger w/a basic smallish cam'd sbc for <3k (using a '69 C10 350 & the trans is the NV3500 from my old 90obs thus free). I'll 'Z' the rails & cut/mod the trunk floor to get the drop w/ride quality I want. It will still appear like the Cabriolet externally but won't be just a modded stocker.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG