The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
johnymac

Question sway bar problem, maybe from frame?

Just put a real nice sway bar from Early Classics in my truck tonight. The bar seems to be about a 1/4 inch out, to the passanger side. This bar mounts to the front cross member and the ends to the lower control arams.

I have no idea what to do. Has anyone encountered such a problem? I can drive with the bar like this, but not real happy about the frame/control arms being out of square. Not sure if there are any good reference points that I might be able to measure off the frame and get an idea what's wrong here.

Thanks.

Last edited by johnymac; 06-10-2002 at 10:23 PM.
johnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 02:01 AM   #2
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

hmmm, not sure what you're talking about. Kinda sounds like you're nit-picking, but maybe I don't understand you. Do you have any pics?

Is your handling messed up? Alignment? Or is it just looks?

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 05:41 AM   #3
johnymac

Nope , not nit-picking.

The bar seems to be twisted and not setting correctly on the passenger side a-arm. The bushing actually has a space in it, the others don't. That's what caught my attention. I have over a 1/4 inch extra on this side. I called the dealer of the ar, he said it should fit in without this problem.

I also didn't write that it took me hours to get the thing in, had to drop the truck off the jack stands to get it to line up.

I wish nit-picking, just gives me a bad feeling.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

It could also be that you have it installed upside down. It can go in like that. Also, if I remember correctly your truck is lowered. These will be harder to install when your truck is lowered unless you did what I did. I took out the brackets that mount to the frame and bolted the bushings directly onto the frame. It's much easier to install the bar like this and it looks better too.

Here's what I would do: test fit the bar both ways (right side up, and upside down) to approximate which way would fit better. Then attach both ends to each control arm, but don't tighten. (side note: install the control arm bushings so that your bar is pressing out against them; in other words the gap in the bushing should be towards the inside). Raise the bar up to where it mounts to the frame and use your best judgement on whether to attach the U-brackets. Mine fit better overall when I took out the U-brackets and bolted it directly to the frame, and looks better. Most importantly, the bar doesn't hit curbs before my tires do! Good luck!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 06-11-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:22 PM   #5
fnoblitt

let us know how it works out.i'm planning on installing a front sway bar myself.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:36 AM   #6
johnymac

Will Do.

Dave at Early Classics has been a great help. I removed the bar, took some measurements. Seems like one of the bends on one side is off about an inch. He is sending another bar.
The sell a real nice set up.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:12 PM   #7
rustfree

Also, when ordering from ECI tell them if your truck is lowered or not as they offer 2 different bushing brackets with their bar. The one for lowered trucks has a much lower profile and will avoid the dreaded "speed bump bash".

Warren, OR
rustfree is offline   Reply With Quote