The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
wpavlis

Coolant level question

First off, thanks to everyone who has answered my many questions in the past. I fired up the new 350 that i just installed in my 68 c10 today. During break in as the motor came up to temp the radiator puked a bunch of water. Temperature was fine bit i checked and from what i could tell everything was fine. Finished the break in and temp held rather steady the whole time. When it cooled down i checked the coolant in the radiator and it was an inch or two low. I filled it back up and took a quick test drive around the block and it puked some more coolant again.

Now to my question. Is this normal on an open system? I have never owned a vehicle without a coolant bottle. I am guessing this is just the system equalizing and if i had a coolant catch bottle it would get sucked back in as the radiator cooled back down. Does that sound correct? Thanks again for all the help and advice.
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Coolant level question

In an open system there's usually about an inch between the top of the radiator and the coolant level. There has to be room for expansion.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
wpavlis

That is what i figured. Thanks for confirming!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

You probably had an air pocket that cleared out.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #5
wpavlis

I have a quick follow up story. When this happened i was using straight distilled water. I did this just in case i had some kind of leak during the break in period. I figured that if i did have a leak it would be less mess if i was only using water. The plan was to drain some water out and replace it with coolant. What i didn't think about was the fact that the coolant raises the boiling point significantly. After draining out the water and refilling with coolant to get a proper mix, the level has stayed much closer to what i would expect. It also seemed to puke less coolant when fully warmed up. I think the combination of only using water and not ever having owned a car with an open system caused me to get overly worried.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
toolboxchev

You could have the wrong radiator cap on there. If it is a closed system the cap needs to be for that system.

A open system cap of course would allow coolant to escape out!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
wpavlis

I believe all radiator caps will allow coolant to escape when the system reaches the rated pressure correct? The difference is that the cap for a closed system allows coolant to be pulled back in from the overflow bottle. Without an overflow bottle it just lets air in rather than maintaining a vacuum. That is how i understand it anyway. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
wpavlis

Also, to be clear my radiator only vents coolant once. If i fill it all the way to the top it will let a little coolant out when it heats up (i assume due to expansion) . Then it will not do it the next time. I think i just got overexcited it being the first time i ever swapped a motor.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
mattfranklin

On my break in, it seemed to cool fine when the RPMs were up. When I slowed to idle it started puking. I was running without a fan at that time. I was wondering at that time if I'd overfilled it. I was even thinking about installing a puke can.

When I installed the fan it cooled quite a bit better at idle.

When I also installed a fan shroud it cooled perfectly.

Now it's about an inch or two from the top and no more puking.

I might not need a puke can after all.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote