The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #26
Cameron 1137

Re: I think I've decided on a build "theme"

WOW! Parts look awesome!
1966 Chevy Corvair 500, "Marigold" SOLD
2005 Subaru Outback Wagon DEAD
2008 Pontiac G8, New Winter/Daily
Cameron 1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #27
PHAT TONY

Oh gosh...another 2wd Blazer build! I can't wait!! Git after it already!
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
Rochlow

Other than the rockers and lowering a bit more I wouldn't change a thing. I'd put the wiper cowl on, clean the interior, and make sure it was in good working order. Then drive the hell out of it!!!

Guys bend over backwards in search of that kind of weathered look...
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
99-LS1-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
Other than the rockers and lowering a bit more I wouldn't change a thing. I'd put the wiper cowl on, clean the interior, and make sure it was in good working order. Then drive the hell out of it!!!

I understand what you're saying but I don't want the weathered look. I want the factory look with some very subtle modern features.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #30
Rochlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
I understand what you're saying but I don't want the weathered look. I want the factory look with some very subtle modern features.
Well, then.. Game on!!! Looks like a great project to start with..
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #31
99-LS1-SS

Got a buddy to help me take the hood off at lunch. That was the first hurdle. Now I can start removing the fenders, grill, bumper and radiator support.

Crappy cell phone pictures.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #32
99-LS1-SS

I feel like I didn't get much accomplished tonight. The grill fought me the whole way. I didn't have a 12 point socket or wrench to take the hood latch off so I had to stop and go buy a set.

Here she is without the grill.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
99-LS1-SS

Got the bumper off with the help of 1/2 penetrating oil and my little helper! Apparently, a battery exploded and leaked on everything below it because there are large chunks of the radiator support, battery box and inner fender eaten away below the battery. I'm very glad I have the extra radiator support. I'm getting cleaned up and going to lunch with my helper. I'll post pictures later.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
99-LS1-SS

Here it is with the bumper removed. It doesn't look too bad from this far away...

Battery tray is toast.

Anyone have a zipper to zip this thing back together?

I think something is missing.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #35
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Yikes! That's a just a little bit of rust...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #36
71Jimbo

I like it,
I am a few steps behind you on my build, keep it up and good luck
71Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
99-LS1-SS

I had a little time to work on the Blazer this morning. My initial thought that the truck had not been wrecked was incorrect. It doesn't have any frame damage that I've seen yet but, it has been wrecked on the front passenger's side. The fender was orange under the green and the door was yellow. The bottom rocker and torsion box have been replaced before. I can't wait to see what fun is under there waiting. I think the only part of this truck that doesn't rust on it is the glove compartment door...

Here are some pictures from this morning.

I managed to get the inner and outer fender as well as the passenger door taken off this morning.

Is it time for new rotors yet?

I don't think there are supposed to be this many wrinkles and gaps in this section of the body.

Doesn't look too awful bad from this angle.

I sure hope that's surface rust.

Front of passenger rocker.

Rear of passenger rocker.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #38
99-LS1-SS

Got to the driver's side this afternoon.

Rocker and torsion box are really bad. I think I have a rodent of some sort living in the driver's side torsion box. I saw something move through the rust holes and there was a bundle of insulation balled up at one end.

Here's the rocker.

What is this? It's on the floor right behind the driver's seat.

Cha Ching! I can sell this and pay for my build!! This was in the glove compartment.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #39
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

The spring contraption is the jack hold down I do believe..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #40
ol'blu72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post

I totally agree that patina is awsome!!!!!!!!!! fix the rockers and drive as is.

72 Blazer CST 350/350/205

ol'blu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #41
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Got the bumper off with the help of 1/2 penetrating oil and my little helper! Apparently, a battery exploded and leaked on everything below it because there are large chunks of the radiator support, battery box and inner fender eaten away below the battery. I'm very glad I have the extra radiator support. I'm getting cleaned up and going to lunch with my helper. I'll post pictures later.
Trust me, they all look like the battery exploded. That's why it's so hard to find good used passenger side fenders. Looks like a good build. The plan overall is good, but I have a suggestion. Rather than the big block and th-400, you really need to consider the LS swap. Finding a good low mileage engine with the tranny and associated wiring and controls is easy. The swap parts are easy to get, and the cost is way better than you might think. There is a section of the board devoted to it, and several other sites as well, making it fairly straight forward. Better gas milage, comparable power, overdrive and reliability.

BTW, cute kid. And that dog is freaking huge. Have fun with the build. It really looks like a solid starting point.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #42
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Quote:
Cha Ching! I can sell this and pay for my build!! This was in the glove compartment.
dang it I would have bought that from you if it were an 8 track

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #43
99-LS1-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Trust me, they all look like the battery exploded. That's why it's so hard to find good used passenger side fenders. Looks like a good build. The plan overall is good, but I have a suggestion. Rather than the big block and th-400, you really need to consider the LS swap. Finding a good low mileage engine with the tranny and associated wiring and controls is easy. The swap parts are easy to get, and the cost is way better than you might think. There is a section of the board devoted to it, and several other sites as well, making it fairly straight forward. Better gas milage, comparable power, overdrive and reliability.

BTW, cute kid. And that dog is freaking huge. Have fun with the build. It really looks like a solid starting point.
I'm worried the swap will be too labor intensive. I want simple and reliable. I'm already going to have to make a big block fit into a small block vehicle. I think adding the computer dimension will be a hassle. I just came from a supercharged LS3 car and before that I had 2 LS1 cars and an LT1 car. I can tune a LS motor with HP Tuners. I'm trying to make this build basic, reliable and fun.

So far, I've seen LS2/3 motors going for $6-8K depending on the mileage. Some come with the controller and some don't. I'm also worried about the transmissions. I don't think the 4L60s are very strong with the amount of power I want to push. I would have to have it beefed up to feel comfortable and that's an extra $1,500 above a stock transmission.

Given the fact that I'm in the very early stages of my build and I'm NO WHERE near ready for an engine, I'm not ruling anything out. I might get a wild hair and change my mind. There would have to be a good deal on a reliable motor and transmission with both modules for me to consider it.

I agree that the gas mileage would be better and I like the lock up converter and overdrive. Eh, we'll see how this all pans out. I'm not going to rush this build because I want to do it right the first time and drive this car for a while.

Thanks for the compliment on my daughter! The dog is a goofy chicken.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #44
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The used market is much cheaper than that. I just looked up one website that priced the engines for 900-1400, and talked to a couple local yards that will pull the engine, tranny and computer for around $2000. Try here:
http://www.lkqcorp.com/index.aspx

The big block will fit easily enough. The 2wd trucks had them as an option for a couple years at least. Original big block motor mounts towers are kind of expensive, but not really required. You can use the small block towers. They can also be moved forward a few inches for more room, there are holes already in the frame. Some guys just hammer the firewall in one spot where clearance is tight to make room and leave the mounts in the rear position.

Since the truck has been stored outside for so long, I recommend cleaning out the kick panel vents as soon as possible. Also might want to pull the back panels off the seats to make sure no rodent nests are there. Check the latest page of my jimmy build to understand why.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #45
VA72C10
VA72C10

I'll agree on the LS being an affordable option and also in addition to the mounts available you can use 73-up mounts which are plentiful (cheap)and work well and have specific engine side LS mounts available. just require one extra hole drilled in our frames to work. And that allows you to move the engine back forward.

There is an LS2 on another forum right now for 3K. has 42K miles, new polished intake, valve covers, ceramic headers, a NEW wiring harness made to use in our applications, and the auto tranny with it... (about 2K worth just in the new parts)

...think that one is sold but there are a lot of good deals out there!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #46
99-LS1-SS

Guys, the one thing about this build, for me, is that I want to this truck to be damn near brand new. I don't want the potential time bomb of an engine and/or transmission when I don't know if someone has taken care of them as well as they should have. I am OCD about vehicle maintenance. Any engine and transmission I get will either be brand new or have very low miles on it. I hope this doesn't sound like a crappy comment but, if I'm going to strip this truck down to the frame and replace every bolt on it, it doesn't make sense, to me, to put a (potentially) worn out motor and/or transmission in it.

Like I said in the previous post, nothing is ruled out at this point. I'll be honest, you guys have got me thinking about and looking into the LS motors. I'm a big fan of LS motors.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
99-LS1-SS

I took more stuff off today. The more I take off of this truck the worse it gets. The entire floorboard is buckled and it has 2 spots that are rotted through.

The parts that concern me are on the post that the door hinges mount to. Can or should these be patched? Is this truck too far gone?

Here's some pictures of both sides.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #48
VA72C10
VA72C10

People have definitely started with worse, but if you're not worried about using non-original pieces, a 4wd tub can generally be found rust free and for 1200-2000 shipped to you from out west....maybe even less. It actually is better to find a roller that's cheaper to transport. Might be able to find one for 800-1000 and pay 4-600 to get it shipped if you can catch a transport on uship.com or similar....

Like I said, you can always just get patches (from a vehicle out west or new repro) but if you're not concerned with the originality, you'll probably come out ahead money wise and most definitely time wise by starting with a better tub.

IMHO

It's always more fun to spend other's money...but in this case I think I'd be saving it...
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #49
99-LS1-SS

Given my newness to this body style and community, I haven't had much luck finding a tub or roller. Where is a good place to start. Originality is second to no rust and functionality.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #50
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Windshield fram looks a little rusty but it can be fixed. Find a truck cab and graft on the frame pieces you need. May also wanna try to get ahold of randy aka teeitup he usually has those parts ..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote