The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Square body extended cabs

Information on these trucks is somewhat scarce. I have found several that I know where made by Custom Vehicles International in Arlington Texas, and one made by Stage Coach conversions. From the information from owners that I have talked to, I have come to the conclusion that most of the trucks were built by Custom Vehicles International, and then shipped to various conversion companies that finished the interior and paint upgrades. The most extravegant ones, interior and exterior wise, are the Western Hauler, Overland Coach, and Tra-Tech conversions. I have one Tra-Tech extended crewcab, and two half ton extended cabs. The halftons do not have the fancy interior, which leads me to believe they may have been completed at CVI before delivery. I have found that the majority of these trucks were special order through dealers at a cost of $6000 according to one owner who has had his truck since new. I have contacted Western Hauler, and have been told they dont have any records of these trucks, though I have seen several with their badges on them. I have not been able to get any information on CVI, Tra-Tech, Overland Coach, or Stage Coach conversions. Its like they just disappeared. I am still looking though. I have found one guy who says he has a brochure from CVI with one on the cover, but cant get in contact with him for a copy.
Production numbers are all over the board. I have heard that 2510 total were made between 84-87, and I have heard that only 50 were made in 84 and 500 made in 85. I have not heard any production numbers for the extended crewcabs, of which I have only seen 8 total. This is why this site thread has been started, so we can try to document as many as possible.

Currently, these are the stats that I know of:
20-1/2ton extended cabs: 1-83, 2-84s, 13-85s, 2-86s (both GMC's) and
2-87s.

5-1/2 ton 4wds (all 85 Chevys)

3-3/4 ton 2wds

4-3/4 ton 4wds

2- 1 ton extednded cabs (cabs are correct, dont know for sure if they were orignally 1 ton duallies)

8- extended crewcabs- 4 have the pickup bed, and the other 4 have the Western hauler beds.
This is just what I have so far. I have more photos and info on http://conversiontrucks.net

This is where you come in. Any information you may have will be very valuable to putting the peices of this puzzle together. Any information is just speculation until we can find the hard documentation. For now, we just keep our eyes and ears open for the truth.

Here is information to help determine the difference between one made in the 80's sold through dealers, and ones made more recently.
I know that all of the CVI conversions had these interior peices ( note the back wall, jumper seats, and window surrounds. Some of the Overland Coach and Western Hauler interiors have more, padded type window surrounds)

The back portion of the cab used the floor section that was removed from the bed.

And this is how the bed was modified

Last edited by rare86; 10-05-2009 at 09:57 PM.
rare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
LiveAnimals

Re: Square body extended cabs

Good Info

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
JohnC

Great info. I'm glad you are a part of the boards. These trucks are becoming more popular, and to have someone with information, and a dedication to them is invaluable. Thanks, and I look forward to learning more about them.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
bobs84

Keep up the search I sure apreciate the info. Good luck on the search.
Bob
bobs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Thanks guys. I dont know everything about them, but Im continually searching. I also have those like Bobs84 that are invaluable in keeping an eye out. The info I have is based off of info from owners. I know of only one original owner, and have been waiting for documents from him, if he can find them. I will make the 2 hour trip to see him soon and hopefully get the missing peices. I encourage anyone who has the info to prove me wrong on my research. If you have the documents, I'll happily say Im wrong. For now, I just have to go by what I know.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
JohnC

Well you can count me in as another set of eyes. Anything info I come across on these, and any that I see I'll send your way. Keep it up man.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
truckfan

in 1989 i looked to buy an 1985 or so extended crew off a lot in Muskogee OK. i think it was a "trail boss", though that was 20 years ago. had a western hauler style bed but i don't think it was a WH. i had not seen another at that point. i think it was streched as it seemed to have the full length bed. it was two tone red w/ that conversion paint scheme.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckfan View Post
in 1989 i looked to buy an 1985 or so extended crew off a lot in Muskogee OK. i think it was a "trail boss", though that was 20 years ago. had a western hauler style bed but i don't think it was a WH. i had not seen another at that point. i think it was streched as it seemed to have the full length bed. it was two tone red w/ that conversion paint scheme.
Thanks guys. I do appreciate any and all info. Even if I have seen it before, it helps me keep up with it if it changes owners. I have alot of owners who dont repsond to emails or anything else. (I dont hammer them to much either)
My 86 has "The Boss" badges on it. All of them are solid braass, and are very heavy.
Once again, Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by rare86; 10-07-2009 at 10:06 PM.
rare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

I remember seeing a flat bed extended cab when I was prolly about 5 or 6 years old. I remember it distinctly because I used to see it every Saturday at the gas station that my dad worked at. It was a 4x4 and had the 1 ton clearance lights. I'm not sure what year it was, but I remember it having a 1980 Silverado style grille in it. IDK if this helps any, but it's a truck that I wish I could see it again. Sadly, the guy that owned it was a fireman and he passed away a few years back and his house and the truck were sold at an auction and I haven't seen it since.

Thanks
Benjamin.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
JohnC

I have some pictures of one that was for sale here in OKC several years ago. I'll see if I can try and dig them out, and get them posted.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Scootin 81 C20, i enjoy reading stories about these things whether there are pics or not. I just enjoy the stories. Thanks
John C, that would be great. I am trying hoping to find at least 50 by the end of the year, and so far Im only at 40. And tis taken 3 years to get to that. Thanks again
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
clinebarger

Well you already have my info CVI#178. glad you joined the site!
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Well you already have my info CVI#178. glad you joined the site!
Yes sir. Havent heard from you in a while, but glad your here too. I may have to make a trip out that way to look at you truck in person some day.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
JohnC

I know Joe231 found one for sale in OKC a month or so ago. I'll see if I can find the pics he posted on here.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare86 View Post
Yes sir. Havent heard from you in a while, but glad your here too. I may have to make a trip out that way to look at you truck in person some day.
Your welcome to come look at it anytime
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

When you get a chance, can you send me somemore pictures of you truck. I want to post them on my site, and only have the one small one. Or you can do it when you get a chance.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #17
clinebarger

Heres one, I hope its bigger
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #18
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Definately better. Any interior?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #19
JohnC

That looks like a nice truck. Very clean.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #20
Kaysenmc

Here is one I found that has a shortened short bed on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...RCHQ3aUSQ3a101
I have wanted one of these for a long time now and almost bought one locally but at the time I wasn't ready to tackle a project that big. it has since changed owners a few times and is now about a half mile from my house, I just know i am gonna wind up with it eventually.. lol
Kaysenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

if you would, get me some info on it, or have the owner contacts me. Id like to know if its another one, or if I have info on it. Id really appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

wow one of my buddies has a 3/4 ton 4x4
so there is 3 other than his
WOW!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
scotts62
One day...

Cool! i have only seen one ever and thought at the time that they made it, i didn't know the factory made some also.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
mbgmike

I used to live in Wise county Tx. The dealership in Decatur Texas used to sell alot of them. They were the largest dealer in the area cause their was not much out there. He sold a lot of them but you did not see many driving around the area. I thought they did them right next door cause they always seemed to have new cut up trucks there

Last edited by mbgmike; 11-01-2009 at 10:37 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare86 View Post
Information on these trucks is somewhat scarce. I have found several that I know where made by Custom Vehicles International in Arlington Texas, and one made by Stage Coach conversions. From the information from owners that I have talked to, I have come to the conclusion that most of the trucks were built by Custom Vehicles International, and then shipped to various conversion companies that finished the interior and paint upgrades. The most extravegant ones, interior and exterior wise, are the Western Hauler, Overland Coach, and Tra-Tech conversions. I have one Tra-Tech extended crewcab, and two half ton extended cabs. The halftons do not have the fancy interior, which leads me to believe they may have been completed at CVI before delivery. I have found that the majority of these trucks were special order through dealers at a cost of $6000 according to one owner who has had his truck since new. I have contacted Western Hauler, and have been told they dont have any records of these trucks, though I have seen several with their badges on them. I have not been able to get any information on CVI, Tra-Tech, Overland Coach, or Stage Coach conversions. Its like they just disappeared. I am still looking though. I have found one guy who says he has a brochure from CVI with one on the cover, but cant get in contact with him for a copy.
Production numbers are all over the board. I have heard that 2510 total were made between 84-87, and I have heard that only 50 were made in 84 and 500 made in 85. I have not heard any production numbers for the extended crewcabs, of which I have only seen 8 total. This is why this site thread has been started, so we can try to document as many as possible.

Currently, these are the stats that I know of:
20-1/2ton extended cabs: 1-83, 2-84s, 13-85s, 2-86s (both GMC's) and
2-87s.

5-1/2 ton 4wds (all 85 Chevys)

3-3/4 ton 2wds

4-3/4 ton 4wds

2- 1 ton extednded cabs (cabs are correct, dont know for sure if they were orignally 1 ton duallies)

8- extended crewcabs- 4 have the pickup bed, and the other 4 have the Western hauler beds.
This is just what I have so far. I have more photos and info on http://conversiontrucks.net

This is where you come in. Any information you may have will be very valuable to putting the peices of this puzzle together. Any information is just speculation until we can find the hard documentation. For now, we just keep our eyes and ears open for the truth.

Here is information to help determine the difference between one made in the 80's sold through dealers, and ones made more recently.
I know that all of the CVI conversions had these interior peices ( note the back wall, jumper seats, and window surrounds. Some of the Overland Coach and Western Hauler interiors have more, padded type window surrounds)

The back portion of the cab used the floor section that was removed from the bed.

And this is how the bed was modified
[IMG]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh203/choptop76
/comparionsofbeds.jpg[/IMG]
COntact this dealer, they used to sell them and may have some records
James Wood Chevrolet
2111 S Hwy 287 · Decatur, TX 76234
SALES (940) 539-0715· SERVICE (940) 539-9095

Last edited by mbgmike; 11-01-2009 at 10:35 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote