The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #101
wiggins

Re: Square body extended cabs

I Own a 87' exted crew cab dually. It has 454ci and power evrything. its a white truck with marron leather int. The back seat is just a lay down seat(like in a van) though, no jumper seats. Thay may have been changed out, who knows. I am doing a partial restoration on it as we speak. I have repaired the cracked body work on the top of the cab and have repainted it back white. I added a cowl hood to it as well. Next I am going to have the interior reupholsterd and slap some new tires and rims on it. Not doing a super nice job(not show car) bc I bought it with the intention of hauling my other cars around to shows with it. I did buy it a few years ago in Arlinton from a fireman there. He told me it was built by a company in Arlington, but he was not the original owner. He had only been using it to haul his Rv. It actually had a brand new set of Michelins that were dry rotted(he never drove it), but I drove it home anyway. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Rare86 my truck has plexiglass in the rear windows. Was this standard on these and if so can they be replaced with glass. I have had one shop tell me they could'nt cut the glass bc it follwed the curve of the truck and was not flat.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #102
pseudopimp

there is a primered grey one in las cruces NM. i saw it the other day driving around town. that is the best info i can give you.
pseudopimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #103
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

CrewCab Extended and Dually!!! We need more pix! Please
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #104
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

wiggins, glad to have ya. Ive had pics of your truck for years, but never could find the owner. Im glad to it finally showed up. So far I have pics of only 4 extended crewcabs that have the pickup bed, and my 86 crew , and now your 87 crew are the only ones that I can prove havent been crushed. Yours is the nicest one with the bed I have found, hands down. Mine runs like a dream, but needs paint. The back seat on most of them folds down into the bed. This was the norm because since the same people who built these also built conversion vans. th only ones with the jumper seat that I have seen and the single door trucks,
As far as the side glass, they did come as plexiglass. If you look at any conversion van from the 80s, you'll notice that any odd shaped window was plexiglass. I dodn see why a door window couldnt be cut to fit since it follows a similar curve, or an s10 window since they have been installed in these trucks ( after some modifications) and fit the curve nicely. Problem is, I rhink they wont cut it because of their lack of ability, not because of the curve. Go back to when they cut glass for a 53 Chevy car, thats a curve. The glass shops I see now arent glass shops like they were then. Now, they just replace glass with pre ordered peices that are machine made from a pattern.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #105
wiggins

Thanks for the info. I had no idea the truck was so rare. I knew it was unique, but not that rare, wow! I had been contemplating getting rid of it when I was done cleaning it up, but maybe I'll hang on to it for awhile know. It it stops raining I'll try and get some pics up tommorow. It is kind of in mid restoration at the moment so dont judge it until its finished.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #106
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Wiggins- Congrats on owning a very rare truck, (let me know if you ever plan to sell)
You have come to a great website to share your restoration project, No one will judge you. But be ready for everyones 2cents. I'm sure you will here, slam it bag it paint it put Semi truck wheels on it! Lol and lots of pictures in the process.

Welcome aboard the Square Body Club!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #107
1badgmc

There used to be an extended crew dually running around town here. I believe it was a Western Hauler conversion. I haven't seen it in a decade, so I'm sure it's long gone now. I wish I could have bought the thing.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #108
wiggins

alright guys here are a couple of pics, sorry for the delay

well maybe not how in the world do you post pics?
Thanks man!
Attached Images

Last edited by wiggins; 06-10-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: pics
wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #109
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Man that is Beautiful!

Last edited by BGRAFX; 06-10-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #110
qu1cks1lver56

pictures of the back seats?

nice truck though

Last edited by qu1cks1lver56; 06-10-2010 at 04:18 PM.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #111
csa daddy

hey is the roof smooth on that extendedcab crewcab i real like it also
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #112
wiggins

Thanks BGRAFX, its a work in progress. The back seat is loaded down with boxes and parts right now, but I'll put more pics up as I do more work. Will be a litlte slow for awhile we have a baby due any day now. The top of the cab is not smooth it is ribed all the way back just as if it was factory.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #113
csa daddy

ok i was curious cause i got a shortbed crew cab dually an i could use the extra space behind the back seta for subs an maybe some storage room. cause it doesnt look very hard to make a truck into a extended cab
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #114
wiggins

the hard part is building it rigid enough so that your body work doesnt crack. Thats were the ribs in the top of the cab come into play.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #115
qu1cks1lver56

I eventually want to turn my truck into an extended cab. I def. could use the extra space, and plus I think they look great.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #116
csa daddy

i never thought about the ribbed roof like that cause i would like to smooth mine
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #117
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Heres mine. the back seat actually folds down inro a bed. I dont have a pic with it folded down but here is it up, and the room behind the seat. Im actuall gonna replace the seat and move it back for more legs room

Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #118
wiggins

that is the same maroon color as my truck. I was wondering where did they get the plastic interior molding made at. It all looks factory around the extended part of the inside. Your back seat is a lot nicer than mine. In my truck it is real narrow at the bottom, but it does slide back and forth from about were your seat is to just about to the back wall. I am wanting to pit a more comfotable seat back there during this restoration.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #119
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

I really like the crewXcab trucks, its the best of truck & suburban
Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #120
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

wiggins can you get me some pics of the center console and overhead im looking to build some for my crew cab

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #121
1badgmc

I want to see an extended crew with a full 8' bed.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #122
csa daddy

i wouldnt mind building one but i think i would leave the extended cab window out an make it like a dodge mega cab instead
Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #123
bitchin85

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa daddy View Post
i wouldnt mind building one but i think i would leave the extended cab window out an make it like a dodge mega cab instead
thats a good idea.. thats really the only thing that looked strange about the ext cabs to me is that the back side windows were smaller and just didnt seem to fit right..

photoshop time?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #124
csa daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****in85 View Post
thats a good idea.. thats really the only thing that looked strange about the ext cabs to me is that the back side windows were smaller and just didnt seem to fit right..

photoshop time?
i agree time for some photoshopping
Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #125
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggins View Post
that is the same maroon color as my truck. I was wondering where did they get the plastic interior molding made at. It all looks factory around the extended part of the inside. Your back seat is a lot nicer than mine. In my truck it is real narrow at the bottom, but it does slide back and forth from about were your seat is to just about to the back wall. I am wanting to pit a more comfotable seat back there during this restoration.
They really did good on the interior of these. I have two with the red and one with the tan. The Overland coach, and Western Hauler trucks had the big pillowy trim around the windows, and Im not much of a fan. The interior is nice one this truck, but the light grey with red doesnt look right. Kinda like the seat were an afterthought. I dont have the overhead console like yours, but the center console is kinda neat. It has a tach, vacuum gauge, and one other gauge, but I forget what it is. Im wanting seats out of an 01 up crewcab, and wanna go with black interior. The truck will be Limo black when done.