The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
SunSoaked

Bucket seat swap fitment question.

I want to swap my bench for buckets. I'm not worried about keeping them period correct but my main concern is having them go all the way back against the cab and not losing legroom.

Has anyone had experience with this? I'm guessing it will be cheaper to buy aftermarket seats than trying to locate used seats and having to them recovered.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
TrailerTrash

Re: Bucket seat swap fitment question.

I swapped in some offbrand high back bucket "racing" style seats. Made my own frame and was very meticulous about placement and adjustability. I made a frame and bolted the sliding frames to the main frame then the seats are bolted to the sliders. That way they still are completely adjustable but the main frame stays stationary. I ended up losing alot of leg room because sliding the seats the entire way back meant that the backs of the seats had to lean forward because of the rear of the cab. I have pretty short legs and I am five eight. I had to scoot the seat much farther forward than I wanted to in order to be sitting up straight or slightly leaned back. If I have the seats back to where I have ideal leg room, then I am leaning forward too far.

Not trying to scare you away from the idea because buckets are awesome to have. It's just something to keep in mind.

And I hope you understand all that I was kind of ramblin lol

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
SunSoaked

I understand what you're saying. I found another member "rickit" that installed the TMI seats. I just picked his thread to the top and pm'd him to see how they turned out. 2 year old thread so it's a long shot.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Loco83

I have the Pro car low backs in my 83, after 2yrs thinking about going back to a bench, not the most comfortable seat and the mounting brackets for the seat seems to seat you higher than the bench, they have three height adjustments on the brackets and mine are at the lowest setting and with the seat all the way back can barely reach the pedals and i'm 5'7"
Attached Images

Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
TrailerTrash

One of my main motivations for bucket seats was sitting lower. My bench was a very nice cushy seat but it sat me up way too high.

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
TKCR

Have you considered sticking with a bench, just using a 88 and up seat from a Chevy. Since your not worried about being period correct. When I bought my 86, it had a 88 and up benchseat in it. I wanted a period correct seat, so I made the swap, and put a correct 81-87 seat in it. But I will say, the 88 and up seat, you had more leg room, and wasn't right up on the steering wheel. To me it sat lower and a little further back. Just a suggestion, if what your wanting to accomplish, is more leg room. And what the PO did, was just weld a set of 81-87 tracks on the bottom of the seat, in the location, to where it bolted right up to the cab floor.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
I'm guessing it will be cheaper to buy aftermarket seats than trying to locate used seats and having to them recovered.
Well... that's debatable. A good set of new aftermarket seats and seat frames are probably about the same cost as simply finding used factory buckets and getting them reupholstered.

I've been having the same discussion in my own head for years and I can't say that one is cheaper than the other after trying both. True you need to find factory ones first, but also just think of how much easier the install will go.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
focusedontheprize

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. I found another member "rickit" that installed the TMI seats. I just picked his thread to the top and pm'd him to see how they turned out. 2 year old thread so it's a long shot.
I do not have any experience with the installation, however someone I follow on Instagram did an install of the TMI seats. Happy to ask them any questions you might have, but they looked beautiful in the truck.
Attached Images

focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
I do not have any experience with the installation, however someone I follow on Instagram did an install of the TMI seats. Happy to ask them any questions you might have, but they looked beautiful in the truck.
I agree that they look great!

Ask him if he keeps the seat all the way back and if so, how is the angle of the backrest in that position. Do they sit lower than the factory seats?

Overall, are they comfortable?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
Rich84

I went with '85 Suburban buckets and they do seem to sit lower then the bench. They are not very thick like the later model buckets. I am 5'11" and the leg room is comfortable. The local shops want about $1000 to recover them an
d I'm sure they won't restore them like TKCR does to the benches.
Name:  IMG_1151.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1150.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  43.2 KB
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Have you considered sticking with a bench, just using a 88 and up seat from a Chevy. Since your not worried about being period correct. When I bought my 86, it had a 88 and up benchseat in it. I wanted a period correct seat, so I made the swap, and put a correct 81-87 seat in it. But I will say, the 88 and up seat, you had more leg room, and wasn't right up on the steering wheel. To me it sat lower and a little further back. Just a suggestion, if what your wanting to accomplish, is more leg room. And what the PO did, was just weld a set of 81-87 tracks on the bottom of the seat, in the location, to where it bolted right up to the cab floor.
Thanks for the insight.

I should clarify what my goal is:

My truck is an 85 K20. It rides rough to begin with. It's a Custom Deluxe so it may not have the best seat, if trim levels matter? It's bouncy. I'm 6' on a good day.

The entire space behind the seat is filled with stereo components. The seat goes all the way back currently but it's resting against the speaker box which is no big deal except the vinyl material tends to flutter at times with the subs.

I desperately want a center console as there is no space for loose items and cup holders.

I'm about to install an NV4500 and twin stick shifter for the NP205. Real estate on the floorboard is scarce!

I realize it's a challenge of compromise but I'm sure I can make it better if I can find the correct seats. I don't care about the brackets and center console because I fully expect to fabricate them myself.

Thanks for any tips, tricks or I dears!
Old 06-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I went with '85 Suburban buckets and they do seem to sit lower then the bench. They are not very thick like the later model buckets. I am 5'11" and the leg room is comfortable. The local shops want about $1000 to recover them an
d I'm sure they won't restore them like TKCR does to the benches.
Upholstery shops don’t touch the frame, they only charge for the cover and install of the cover. Buckets are a lot more work and will be more money than the benches. I did a set of 1970 GTO buckets. Buckets are not the easiest things to do. They guy I did them for, he probably had $1500-$2000 in just all the stuff he bought. New foam, covers, trim parts, springs. All I did was restore the frame and tracks, and then built the seats. My labor was about $600, I charged him by the hour and then there were a few supplies.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks for the insight.

I should clarify what my goal is:

My truck is an 85 K20. It rides rough to begin with. It's a Custom Deluxe so it may not have the best seat, if trim levels matter? It's bouncy. I'm 6' on a good day.

The entire space behind the seat is filled with stereo components. The seat goes all the way back currently but it's resting against the speaker box which is no big deal except the vinyl material tends to flutter at times with the subs.

I desperately want a center console as there is no space for loose items and cup holders.

I'm about to install an NV4500 and twin stick shifter for the NP205. Real estate on the floorboard is scarce!

I realize it's a challenge of compromise but I'm sure I can make it better if I can find the correct seats. I don't care about the brackets and center console because I fully expect to fabricate them myself.

Thanks for any tips, tricks or I dears!
The trim level doesn’t matter, all the 81-87 seats are the same. If it’s bouncy, the springs and grid are stretched, and probably missing some springs. The grid & springs should be firm. When I restore a seat, I repair all of this. This is why I started restoring seats. I found out the hard way with my first seat, for my truck, that was done by an upholstery shop. You spend all that money, and all they do is put a pretty new cover over a seat frame that has issues. That’s like putting a fresh coat of paint over a mildewed wall, and not taking care of the mildew. It looks pretty at the moment, but the issue is still there, you just can’t see it. But in the case of a seat, you’ll feel it.
I see some correct buckets for sale, but lord have mercy they want a fortune, and they still need redone. I’ve always said that if I find some reasonably priced, I would restore a set. But you can’t find any reasonably priced. There are some on the parts page now. But jeez $$$$$!
Old 06-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
Bloodhound

I put in a set of Recaro buckets with Wedge brackets/sliders that are made to fit the cab. I am 6'6 and I am finally comfortable in this cab. Sits way lower than the bench did.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
I put in a set of Recaro buckets with Wedge brackets/sliders that are made to fit the cab. I am 6'6 and I am finally comfortable in this cab. Sits way lower than the bench did.
Would love to see a pic or two of those. Thanks
Old 06-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Bloodhound

Quote:
Would love to see a pic or two of those. Thanks
Here's one during install

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote